Mac OS X 10.6

MrDee

29 posts in this topic

With Steve Jobs proclaiming to the press that Leopard is the best version of Mac OS X 'yet', lets start discussing what Apple might be up for in the next release. Oh, you say too early? Its never too early, in fact Mr. Jobs said that Leopard gives Apple the opportunity to churn out releases every 12 to 18 months for the next 10 to 15 years. So I am pretty much expecting information about the next version of OS X at WWDC 2008. We can also use our current frustrations in 10.5 for inspiration of other improvements Apple could be including in 10.6.

My first probable guess is Time Machine in 10.6 will include Backup over airport. Although many have said that it could be an interim update to 10.5.

As for code names, it will be one of these two: Cougar or Lynx. Not Lion, not Ocelot and no Liger.

I believe Apple will get rid of the semi transparent menu bar in 10.6, it has become contreversial, there will also be a new Dock, I suspect something similar to the KDE4 taskbar but with its originality now in 10.5 Dock when it is killed.

Stacks will shed its gimmicky approach with a more similar contextual menu that was available in previous versions of OS X. Please note, Stacks, might still remain in its current iteration when in Grid style in 10.6, but with a Search box to filter through files. Since Stacks defeat their purpose when too many files are in a folder on the Dock.

Core Animation and Quartz will be merged together to form a new Core Component and will handle UI rendering and all GPU activity.

Apple will build some sort of virtualization tool in partnership with Intel to Virtualize all the hardware components in a PC to make it easy for solutions such as Parallel and VMWare to build products that can run Windows and other OS's at full speed and take advantage of not only the multi-core CPUs of tomorrow, but also the GPU so you can do things like play DX 10 games right in OS X without having to reboot into Windows Vista or XP or 7 to do it. This might turn into a Core component called 'Core Virtue'

10.6 will support PowerPC, yes it will. With some folks saying how 10.5 performs snappy on 867 to 1 GHz G4s, PowerPC will still be at the heart of Apples development of OS X in the future.

10.6 will be the first major app from Apple to be sold through a new version of iTunes Store.

Minimum disk space - 12 to 15 GBs (with the Developer tools installed

1 GB of RAM minimum, 2 GBs recommended

1.2 Ghz G4 minimum, 1.5 GHz recommended

GPU card with at least 256 MBs of vRAM

I am still not sure Apple wants to make ZFS the default file system on the client side, but it will be the default FS in OS 10.6 Server for hardware products like their XEON Servers and XAN. ZFS will like be the default in the client in Mac OS 10.7.

So these are what I have in mind for now, please do share your thoughts.

I thought I heard Jobs say this would be the last major update of OS X, doesn't that mean the next OS, 2, or 3 years will bring something mindblogling...Mac OS XI, or might just 11, I mean OS 9 lasted til 9.2, right...I think he's done enough, Now I'm just saying, totally leave windows behind...

10.6 should support multitouch. That way, the Mac tablet that came out in 2005... no, 2006... no, 2007... no, maybe it will in 2008... or 2009 will actually work!

• 1 month later...

I hope there isn't a 10.6.. they can update 10.5 all they want for a while... but focus on something HUGE. Leopard was going to be the wow factor that pulled people from Windows. Yes Apple is doing a hell of a job marketing their product.. and they do have the best OS on the market. But they still need something that people look at and say.. WOW!. They should start focusing thier efforts on OS 11. Make it completly windows compatible for people switiching over. Perfect Safari, because most people use thier computers for the internet and thats it. And they need to sell the fact that Apple computers don't have the software problems that people have with windows.

I think they're gonna make a 10.6. I mean why else do they emphasize the 'Yet' in all their Leopard slogans. It's there for a reason. I think a 10.6 and then they'll start 11 and just completely pwn everybody to the point where they will own the world. No Windows, no Linux, no Solaris or FreeBSD or anything. 11 will be the most amazing thing anyone has ever seen and when people see it in action, they will cream their jeans. Steve Jobs has that kind of power and you all know it. He's like Fidel, only not a commy.

And I'm still plugging for Mac OS 10.6 Ocelot.

I think there will be an OS X 10.6 (Cougar), but I'm hoping they'll drop the "10." part. It is OS X 6, not Mac OS Classic 10.6! There was no huge difference between 9.1 and 9.2, but there was between 10.1 and 10.2; it's really completely another set.

10.6 needs to have some huge new features, not just improvements. Something like instant boot, native support for things that use X11 or Windows, touch-sensitive, support of Windows drivers or self-updating driver lists, allow customization of themes/icons/dock/menubar view, that type of thing.

And I bet after 10.6 they will go to Mac OS 11 (or have some other new kind of title). And it better be revolutionary, because that is what people are now expecting. Something like the computer is a screen as thin and flexible as a sheet that you can control it with your mind and have it perform activities in your house. Very 22nd century. ;)

The one arena that Apple hasn't seemed to jump into is gaming. There is SOOOO much money in gaming. They should make a computer/gaming system. Partner up with Sega or Atari or one of the companies that hasn't done anything in a while and make a sick gaming system. That would be just one more way to get the Apple brand out there.. and a great introduction to the Apple OS. That would make a big splash. They could call it Lynx.. That was a Atari system.. wasn't it? They could partner up with them.. perfect.

Cougar and Lynx are the only 2 trademarked names from Apple. So 10.6 and 10.7 will be each of those. There's no arguing over it.

Apple has a bunch of {censored} trademarked and patented, and they don't use half of them.

Apple has a bunch of {censored} trademarked and patented, and they don't use half of them.

I'm talking about in terms of OS X codenames. After Panther came out, they trademarked Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Lynx, and Cougar. Jaguar, Puma, and Cheetah aren't trademarked and still aren't trademarked.

The one arena that Apple hasn't seemed to jump into is gaming. There is SOOOO much money in gaming. They should make a computer/gaming system. Partner up with Sega or Atari or one of the companies that hasn't done anything in a while and make a sick gaming system. That would be just one more way to get the Apple brand out there.. and a great introduction to the Apple OS. That would make a big splash. They could call it Lynx.. That was a Atari system.. wasn't it? They could partner up with them.. perfect.

Actually, that's wrong. They DID jump into gaming in 1996, and didn't have any success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Actually, that's wrong. They DID jump into gaming in 1996, and didn't have any success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

First off this isn't 1996.. gaming has taken a HUGE leap since then. There are billions spent on it every year.

They should buy Playstation for Gaming!!!

Playstation woudn't be a good buy.. its too established. I realize that there are EA games and ID games for mac. But computer games don't have the same widespread apeal that a gaming system has. Playing computer games can be a pain in the ass. Trying to control a character with a keyboard sucks. And no matter how great of a joystick you get for your computer it is never perfect for every game. My point is that a gaming system with a OS X looking interface would be a huge boost to computer sales. If Apple can get OS X in front of kids in the gaming age used to seeing OS X and the ease of use.. then when they get to be older into the computer buying age, they will most likley buy a mac. Also they will be pushing thier parents into buying Macs. Apple could release a gaming system that could kick the {censored} out of everything out there. First off they should make it bluray and HD dvd compatible. If they had a gaming system that could play both formats, that would sell machines right there. 2nd they need to have a hook.. like WII has that whole moveing the controler idea. It sells machines. Playstation 3 has the built in blu ray player.. Thats one of the main reasons I got one. And I refuse to buy XBOX because I won't support anything microsoft does. If apple could get some exclusive games through Atari, or Sega, or one of the failing companies. I realize that sonic has been out now for PS3 and Wii.. but if they could get some kind of catchy game that will get young kids to want it.. and something for us older guys that remember playing the original sonic when it came out. Something like that. They need a game that has apeal for all sorts of ages. Something to hook people into buying thier machine. Apple is a marketing machine... think of all the buzz around everything they do.. Even just today I read about 10.5.2 being the "most important update ever" or some BS. Apple is a huge marketing hype machine.. and luckly most of the time thier products stack up enough so that people don't get pissed off at the hype. They have the mp3 player, and download market cornered.. they are kicking ass in the cell phone world.. they are moving up the charts in computers sold... now why not go into the next logical market. Gaming.

Personally, I don't see all the hype in gaming at all. I used to play games like a fiend, but now I barely ever play them. Granted that I was like 11 or 12. I'm happy I have Guild Wars since there's no fee for that. That's probably the only game I've played in like 5 years, oh and God Of War 1 and 2. I just don't understand why everyone's so into gaming. I would much rather do something productive like create a song, or read a book, or go hang out with friends.

Personally, I don't see all the hype in gaming at all. I used to play games like a fiend, but now I barely ever play them. Granted that I was like 11 or 12. I'm happy I have Guild Wars since there's no fee for that. That's probably the only game I've played in like 5 years, oh and God Of War 1 and 2. I just don't understand why everyone's so into gaming. I would much rather do something productive like create a song, or read a book, or go hang out with friends.

Wow, there's actually other people in this world that realize that there is much more to computers than gaming? You should try explaining that to my roommate...

Wow, there's actually other people in this world that realize that there is much more to computers than gaming? You should try explaining that to my roommate...
Yes, there's a only a few us left in this world.

Hello Kitty :angel:
:):hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: