OS X on Virtualbox: Has it been done?

52 posts in this topic

I did a little bit of searching, and most posts turned up with, "why would you want to use that, just use vmware!"

The answer is that virtualbox is free! And I hear that it's faster too (it certainly is for running Windows...).

Anywho, I'm running Ubuntu 7.10, and when I try to boot an os x install DVD (Jas 10.4.8 + all the patches), it gets past loading kexts (loading extensions.mkext), then when it switches to the proper resolution the whole thing just crashes, with no error at all. At least, there is no visible error. I've tried a couple of different discs, all of which I know to work, and the same thing happens. I've also tried disabling ACPI, platform=x86pc... I get the same thing everytime. Any ideas, folks?

EDIT:::

Apparently, this is due to my processor possibly not having PAE. It's a Pentium M 1.5ghz. This is dumb. Regardless, I read on another post to try vmware version 5, so I'm downloading a copy of server now. I tried version 6 of vmware workstation, and it gave me the non-pae machine error, even after adding "paeve=true" in my configuration file. Also, I discovered that virtualbox doesn't even support PAE, according this blog.

EDIT Part Deux:::

Server version 5 threw the same error. Is there any solution for me? It's funny, since I can totally install OS X natively, but I'd like to try some virtualization as well.

<br />VMware Server is free and it can run OSx86 fine. Download a copy of VMware Server and follow my guide:<br /><br /><a href="http://######.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm" target="_blank">http://######.com/software/vmwareosx86.htm</a><br />
<br /><br /><br />

wow, that makes absolutely no sense. Why on earth would discourage someone who wants to use open source? If you really would wanna live up your name "pcwiz" open source is the way to go. Sorry to brake this news to you. Besides it's Vmware is NOT FREE. They give you a cripple version to make you happy about but not full features like VirtualBox. On top of that is not even open source, therefore IT IS NOT FREE. They are just using "free" as a gimmick.

KirbySaysHi I fully support your idea. I am also looking forward for InsanelyMAC to create a VirtualBox section. It should be a perfect alternative to propiertary Vmware. Don't stop trying to use VirtualBox because ONE lone hater.

And please, err... ~PCWIZ, inform yourself before discouraging ppl of alternatives http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40487 and http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

Open Source Power!!

OK, this could be a nice arguementFirst of all,

I fully support open-source software but for the majority of people, Virtual Box did not work although for some it did. I don't hate VirtualBox, no need to get so harsh. Did I make any mention that I hate VirtualBox? I am downloading a copy of Virtual Box right now and I am gonna give it a try on JaS 10.4.8. I will see if it works.

And I agree that VMware is not free but VMware Server is NOT a crippled version. It has all or most of the features of Workstation. I think by

CRIPPLED you mean VMware Player which can only run VMs, not make them.Next time read and think better before you post something like that :(

EDIT: Just tested it now

My verdict:Doesn't work. With JaS 10.4.8 anyway. I get a constant "EBIOS Read Error" when booting the DVD. And the guy in this thread:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

Mentions that he is using the Deadmoo image. No wonder JaS didn't work. Who uses Deadmoo nowadays? If you want to use Deadmoo, go straight ahead with VirtualBox but if you want something more modern then use VMware. Its not a matter of that I don't like VirtualBox. I don't really have a choice, do I?

• 5 weeks later...

The important aspect of VirtualBox vs. VmWare is that because VB is open-source, it should be possible to develop the equivalent of VM tools for OS/X, i.e : resizable screen, quick mouse grab, perhaps even CI/QE.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
What do you need to port ?!

VMWare disks are working perfectly in VirtualBox.

VirtualBox needs to be able to support Darwin hardware requirements. A good overview is here http://sites.google.com/a/puredarwin.org/p...pers/virtualbox. Although the VB forums seem to think that the work isn't likely to be done, due to misunderstanding of Leopard EULA and the new clause to allow virtualization.

• 1 month later...

Here's the Tiger process with VirtualBox, should anybody be interested:

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

This is really compelling, because VirtualBox beats VMWare in terms of performance when running deadmoo. And VirtualBox is free, open source, and available for even more platforms than VMWare!

It seems possible to use VirtualBox with Leopard too:

http://alex.csgraf.de/self/?qemu/

Problem is that I can't get it to work. I've been using the pcwiz vmware vmdk as a handy starting point. Even with safe mode, adjusting the res down, setting all the backwards compatibility flags I can think of (-f, x86pc, etc.) I can't get it to fully boot. It loads the kexts, then VirtualBox either just abruptly closes, or reports a fatal error and gives a logfile that is (to me) both long and meaningless.

I've also tried almost every combination of settings in VirtualBox. Nothing seems to work. I've tried the native and ToH kernels. I will occasionally hack at it, but if I knew the source of the issue, it would go so far in helping guide the process.

It's so close, I can smell it. Anybody want to help? Contribute suggestions?

<br /><br /><br />

wow, that makes absolutely no sense. Why on earth would discourage someone who wants to use open source? If you really would wanna live up your name "pcwiz" open source is the way to go. Sorry to brake this news to you. Besides it's Vmware is NOT FREE. They give you a cripple version to make you happy about but not full features like VirtualBox. On top of that is not even open source, therefore IT IS NOT FREE. They are just using "free" as a gimmick.

KirbySaysHi I fully support your idea. I am also looking forward for InsanelyMAC to create a VirtualBox section. It should be a perfect alternative to propiertary Vmware. Don't stop trying to use VirtualBox because ONE lone hater.

And please, err... ~PCWIZ, inform yourself before discouraging ppl of alternatives http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=40487 and http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=2076

Open Source Power!!

I am a VBox fan by the way.

Now, only VMware isn't the only proprietary software, VirtualBox is under the SUN hood and declared as proprietary software. Yes, there is a open source version, known as VirtualBox OSE. Which is way crippled version comparing to the VirtualBox non-open source version itself (let alone the VMware). Try using USB devices and shared folders with the OSE version).

I personally do not like VMware,

#1 - it takes a lot of spaces

#2 - it creates some services, that I do not like

#3 - it creates 2 virtual network interfaces, which VBox doesnt

#4 - better integration, better support by the gues OS's

VBox is

#1 - takes ignorable space

#2 - faster, really faster

I'd call it a tie, and stop arguing about which one is better. Both are nice free softwares, both has pros and cons. None is best.

I tried, both tiger and leo using VBox. Both of them stopped working before loading the GUI installer. I forgot the error message, but I lost hope. :D

I don't think VirtualBox even needs to be necessarily hacked for basic OS X functionality. I think some little changes to OS X would be sufficient to get it booting, if I am understanding properly.

Obviously, a lot of enhancements could be ahead to make it even better :P

I don't think VirtualBox even needs to be necessarily hacked for basic OS X functionality. I think some little changes to OS X would be sufficient to get it booting, if I am understanding properly.

Obviously, a lot of enhancements could be ahead to make it even better :blink:

I'm not so sure, especially regarding some of those low level issues. Maybe the latest voodoo kernel might be useful, as could overcome things like the FSB problem.

Yeah, the FSB issue isn't an issue with those "voodoo kernels" :D

Actually, I didn't have FSB issues even before I brought out the voodoo...

The problem I'm stuck on is that the VM dies at a certain point during boot, right after all or almost all the kexts have loaded. I'm pretty sure some kext is killing the VM, but I'm not sure which one.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
bump

Cause i want to see this happen cause I don't have a pc that can run osx.

Asus G50VT X1

bumpers! I'd love this. I have a legit copy of vmware workstation, but it just doesn't compare with the performance of virtualbox. Also, vmware workstation 6.5 doesnt support hardware virtualization on AMD Windsor CPUs (though they fully support amd-v??!?!!?).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yes, sun virtualbox can be made to run on osx snow leopard with mobo ga-ep45-ds3l.

before i gave completely up on virtualbox on ga-ep45-ds3l, i ran one kinda wierd test which showed that yes, sun virtualbox can run nicely on this box. there is a configuration that one can use even if you are running a crippled, non intel vt-x chip. what works is:

1. copy a working virtualbox guest to osx. you can make it with linux or windows. does not matter.

2. using mac virtualbox, you cant make a guest on osx with vt-x. but you can force an existing one to non vt-x mode. so make a new guest using your copied guest vdi file. then find the VirtualBox.xml file (which has all the nice settings) and edit the vt-x setting from true to false. file is probably in /users/xxx/Library/VirtualBox

3. and that is it. start it and be pleasantly surprised. in my test, i ran winxp- sp3. and i tried office2003 (worked) and ef file manager (worked) and even avg anti-virus (worked). no problems on display or internet.

i do not know if a non crippled vt-x works (probably). but i do know that virtualbox can run on crippled chips if you manually turn off the vt-x vm guest requirement.

• 2 months later...
I have a legit copy of vmware workstation, but it just doesn't compare with the performance of virtualbox.

It seems everybody is holding their breath for something to happen regarding virtualBOX as you can see here.

Why there is more support for VMware then for excellent virtualBOX?

Throw a coin. Who knows. Wasn't it qemu already sporting Snow Kitty?

It seems everybody is holding their breath for something to happen regarding virtualBOX as you can see here.

Why there is more support for VMware then for excellent virtualBOX?

Throw a coin. Who knows. Wasn't it qemu already sporting Snow Kitty?

Sun's December VirtualBox web cast said they were working on it, but as of now the virtual hardware does not support Mac OS X. The additon of the new EFI BIOS was one of the changes to support it in a future release. The question is answered near the end of the presentation after many of us submitted it during the call. https://slx.sun.com/1179276234

UPDTAE: Well there is a new post here on actually doing it http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207334