Warcraft 3 problem.

Wenle Z.

29 posts in this topic

damn! that sucks!

can't play warcraft3 on mac on this N610C (my N620C won't even install), there is no point to keep Mac OSx in it then.

plus the DVD video is messsed up too, i haave maxx's dvd video driver install, unless it doesn't support 7500 too.

damn! that sucks!

can't play warcraft3 on mac on this N610C (my N620C won't even install), there is no point to keep Mac OSx in it then.

plus the DVD video is messsed up too, i haave maxx's dvd video driver install, unless it doesn't support 7500 too.

forget about reading movies on your pc, either DVD or DiVX, it simply won't work (it will with VLC, but slowly).

damn! that sucks!

Yeah, you're right, boy that sucks. "I've downloaded [pirated] a copy of something that isn't released to the public, and running it on a machine it was never intended to run on. Boy, they suck."

Just listen to yourself.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
is it even possible in the future it'll support it?

Don't expect to see any NVIDIA support on OSX for a long time : it seems Apple is an ATI lover.

So if you really wanna play War3 (or Frozen Throne, whatever), you could just play it under Rosetta with an ATI Radeon card, it'll run just fine.

Otherwise, you could just install Windows XP and play it :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Are you folks talking about WC3 on MacTel, or G3/4/5?

Blizzard's website claims Warcraft 3 is supported on Tiger - but they don't specify whether that includes OSx86. I wan't to know if I can run WC3 on a mactel. My version predates the move to intel, so I'd also like to know if there's an update, and whether it's free.

Thanks!

Are you folks talking about WC3 on MacTel, or G3/4/5?

Blizzard's website claims Warcraft 3 is supported on Tiger - but they don't specify whether that includes OSx86. I wan't to know if I can run WC3 on a mactel. My version predates the move to intel, so I'd also like to know if there's an update, and whether it's free.

Thanks!

You can, though only through Rosetta (should be playable anyhow).

I can play just fine on my system. However, when I move the screen in war3 (by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen to move along the map) and click at the same time, the click does not register... Because of this I am forced to boot into windows to play DOTA. :-(

It installed, but does not run. When I try to run it, the color pallete goes haywire, and I get a popup dialog box. I cannot read the text in the box, but I can read the OK button. There is only one button, so it seems to be some kind of acknowledgement. When I click okay, the screen returns to a normal desktop and WC3 is not running. Can I assume Rosetta is running transparently? I did nothing special (thus did not install directx in advance - could be my problem). I eventually tried removing the Movie folder, and deleting the trash, but still the issue remains.

This was running on a P4 with 10.4.3, and a GForce4 MX 420 graphics card.

Another clue: I tried to run the World Editor utility, and received a popup that I could read ... "Could not initialize graphics system ... Make sure that you have DirectX 8.1 or newer and your drivers are current ... try adjusting the display settins to 16-bit or 32-bit color depth."

My settings are for "millions of colors", which could mean 24-bit or 32-bit. Would that cause a problem if it were 24 bit?

GeForce cards aren't supported, go grab an ATI one.

Thanks for the tip, but WC3 is probably not that important to me.. unless my Nvidia card is expected to cause me other problems, in which case I would bite the bullet. I don't have much experience with osX86 yet, but I considered myself lucky to have an Nvidia card on hand because folks were saying the MacVidia team had made more progress than the ATI hackentosh driver team.

I would like clarification on your comment, however. AFAIK, no graphics card is supported officially on mactels, not even ATI. I say that because both ATI and Nvidia have unofficial support by way of open source driver projects, presumably to fill this hole. (BTW- I am using a current MacVidia driver, and run at 1600x1200@75Hz).

Are you saying that WC3 must also support the card, in addition to the platform?

OSX displays 3D effects thanks to its OpenGL support which you don't have installed with you Macvidia driver since it's quite hard to program for anyone, even the one behind the macvidia driver.

About ATI drivers, they are actually far beyond NVidia ones since they already are included in OSX and supports everything like a real mac if you have an ATI X1600 or X1800 which is the card in a real mac.

Other ATI cards have the ability to perform in OpenGL games, so War3 would be fine ; the only thing is you can't change resolutions and doesn't have a 3D mouse pointer, so Omni, a guy, did a driver for this which works quite fine if you ask me for non X1600 users. It's basically what you are using from Macvidia but for ATI cards.

To me anyway, 3D support is useful and is 100% supported without any extra.

Oh, and the GMA900 & 950 are full fonctional (but since they are integrated chips, they suck, not as badely as your Gf4mx, so if you wanna play WC3 on osx for a lesser price, then go for it) like in real macs since it's used in the MacBooks.

Hope this helped.

BTW : you definitly should upgrade your OSX to at least 10.4.4, or even better 10.4.7. 10.4.3 is slower. Oh, and you can consider lucky having a NVIDIA card for Windows, not for OSX :P Anyway I wouldn't be, the GeForce4MX does suck, even in Windows and makes Frozen throne perform real bad on your P4. You should buy at least a GeForce 3, it would make it run at 60fps.

• 4 weeks later...

Craft won't run on my Dell Hackintosh. I get the error about OpenGL and it quits. I know this is because of my PCI-E Radeon X850XT. I can't even get QE and CI on it; the most I can do is edit the resolution through com.apple.boot.plist. Every reference I've found in the wiki states that this card is not supported beyond what I can already do with it.

Oh, well. It's for things like this I still keep my XP dual boot. That, and the lack of sound from my Creative card. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good. Did you buy an AGP one or PCI-e one ?

Anyway, don't know if it's because I have an AGP one, but War 3 isn't as fast as in Windows... Maybe because of Rosetta, I don't know, since I don't know how it performs under Rosetta under a MBP or Imac.

Anyhow, it's playable, you can even play WoW if you want :) Performs well with a PCI-e one.