Is Leopard Release slow on your Mac?

guruuno1

16 posts in this topic

Have a newer Core2Duo 24" iMac (not the latest release, just before...got in June), 3 Gb Ram, 5 external FireWire HD's, 4 external USB HD's, loaded with just about ever app you can think of, BootCamp, Fusion, etc., and so on.

My Tiger 10.4.10 ran acceptably snappy and efficient, however, now that I 'upgraded' to Leopard, it seems like a slug.

Could it be Time Machine constantly syncing?

If so, what would be the acceptable 'solution' (other than not using it) to make the performance more acceptable?

If not Time Machine, what might it be?

I could alway back up, wipe out and do a clean-fresh install, and restore my apps & data, but that's a time consuming process, and not that I wouldn't consider it, but if I did, and afterwards there was no noticeable difference, I'd be a tad pissed...hence my inquiry here......any thoughts?

Spotlight indexed last night after install, before I went to sleep, said 2 hours remaining, I let it go while I slept.

In Time Machine, to be able to "go back", I'm assuming the 'backup' happens real-time, continuously?

I had the same issues, seemed to permissions related or something odd loading from my home folder. Repair permissions didn't work, tried everything. Finally took these steps:

1. Created a temporary account

2. Copied all my docs, music, etc. into a MS_DOS formatted DMG (to strip out any permissions

3. Logged into temporary account and deleted my old one

4. Created new account with same name as original

5. Logged in, copied everything back, except only brought in selected preferences because I had a LOT of old garbage in my library folder

Runs VERY fast now, considerably faster than tiger was.

sucking big time on my MacBook Pro w. 4 gigs ram.

remarkably slower. annoyingly slower. where's the revert button ?

thanks for the tips, will see if I can speed things up - but this is reminding me a lot of what it's like to own a windows box again....

sucking big time on my MacBook Pro w. 4 gigs ram.

remarkably slower. annoyingly slower. where's the revert button ?

thanks for the tips, will see if I can speed things up - but this is reminding me a lot of what it's like to own a windows box again....

Hmmm, well i bet first off - you did an upgrade. Secondly - you probably have a lot of {censored} installed.

Do an Archive and Install - or a fresh Install. And you will see that you have an isolated incident.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

hi everybody!

i recently upgrade my MacBook Pro from tiger to Leopard and its significally slower than in tiger.

it may be 2 times slower. just open a window in the finder take much time, open safari take 4-5 seconds! with tiger it was 0.5 sec. wtf?

i install leopard without iwork n ilife, i erase the useless languages. i desable the Dashboard. i repaired all permision on my disk, desable time machine and desable lots of spotlight index (anyway, i never use it) .

and it still very slower than on tiger

MacBook Pro 15"

2,33 GHz intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

ATY,RadeonX1600, VRAM 256 MB

LEOPARD: 10.5.6

Capacity: 111.35 GB

Available: 42.33 GB

File System: Journaled HFS+

here's my bench test (dont know how to read it)

now i'm thinking to downgrade to tiger...

someone could help me?

did i do something wrong ?

thanks

louis

When I upgraded 10.4.11 to 10.5, my Mac ran very sluggish. Did that for days. I updated Onyx to a leopard compatible version and ran all the cleaning routines. Worked great after that. Of course, that's just my personal experience. You could have something completely different going on.