Leopard on osx86?

olofd

81 posts in this topic

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm running the laptop in a quad-boot setup (Tiger, Fedora Core 7, XP Media Center and Vista Business plus a central FAT32 Data partition) so I don't even have 3gig spare lol. I'm considering wiping Vista (I hardly use it) though so I may give it a shot.

Cheers ;)

why should they care about us?

for every osx user apple gains marketprofits.

Say they stop osx86 from being used in 10 years or so, they would gain a hole lot more costumers

then, then they will if they end the osx86 scene now.

They want OSX to be huge before they will start trying to control it with piracy protection and so on.

We should not forget that even if osx86 steels software and many of us in this forum

don't pay for it, it's very unlikley that a big procent of us in this forum would even have the money to buy a real mac.

osx86 is inspiring people to use osx right now.

And that is free promo for apple.

People get used to their systems and so on..

For me it's very clear that Apple see us as not enemys rather Expermenters that

slowly promotes osx for them. If they diden't we would have apple after us already.

I have huge respect for this. That Apple doesn't only see the fast money they lose from us.

Rather they choose to see the gain they can have from us, Fighting us right now would cost them more than it would gain them.

My opionion, sorry for the bad english.

//Olof

Agreed 100%.

But... I don´t know if Apple thinks like that; but they would.

I really recommend using a seperate disc so that you have multiple operating systems.

Like someone said, It's very early days for osx86 leopard, even so early that Apple haven't released them self yet

(that's what I call early =)

Delete your Vista installation, make a statement =)

you should hold on to your tiger installation.

We don't even know how well this 81 release will work.

And in a few days it might even come a "upgrade" dvd from tiger to leopard even for osx86. (That would be a dream-come-true)

//Uffe

Anyone try X86 Leopard in VMWare? I'm afraid this may be my last chance to setup a true TimeMachine backup over WiFi is to install X86 Leopard in a VM under VMWare Server and then hook my 500GB external drive to it and share it via File-Sharing.

osx86 is inspiring people to use osx right now.

And that is free promo for apple.

People get used to their systems and so on..

For example I developed an OS X device driver without a "real" mac.

edit: leopard kernel panic at boot time (from installation dvd)

Any updates? Anxiously waiting for this and great to see this running on a P4 :P, I myself got a Prescott overclocked to 4Ghz and can't wait using this thing. What motherboard you running that on bikerdude?

Edit: Oh now I see your signature ^^. Well I hope AGP cards work aswell, I'm running on socket 478 :).

The key word here is wait. Leopard has only just been released officially by Apple, give the poor guys who are coding the OSX86 version some time. I'm sure they will post their results when they have a stable release DVD. Until then, just sit this out - we're all eager to get our hands on Leopard, but pointlessly posting "when is it going to be available?" won't speed anything up :)

'All about leopard x86 from ToH; status : intel done,,delayed, 27 Oct. is a new release date'

So just a day left for a dvd ;)

I hope they have support for AMD too. I have waited so long for this. My friend installed it on his MacBook Pro today and it looks awesome.

where did you get that news? Cuz over here not an hour ago bikedude880 (who is on board for making it) said that they were in the testing stages and that it was still on track for 6 PM (only 2 hours 10 minutes left).

Not shooting you down just wondering where it came from

I hope your right, I really want vista off this laptop.

It could mean 27th October GMT (or CET), because it's now 00:18 on 27th here in the UK, which would make it 16:08 on 26th PST - two hours away from the original release time??