iMac or Hackintosh ?

18 posts in this topic

I want to Buy a new iMac 20" 2,4GHz with 2GB Ram , at the moment i use a Hacint0sh with c2d 2,4GHz an 2BG ram with a 8800GTS 320MB . Now im not sure if its rentable to buy the iMac because i don´t know if its better in performance .....

Can someone give me tips ???

regards

JJB

the only game what i play is world of warcraft , so the graphic is ok i think ^^

i´m owner of a Mac Mini G4 and a PowerBook G4 , so now i want to go completely to mac an bann the demon windows out of my life :-))

the only thing i want to hear is that the iMac is not slower in work then my HacMac :mellow:

This is the same question I asked over at at the Hackintosh topic. Same replies Go iMac. Sucks we cant have an upgradable desktop model. I made a wishlist of the parts it would take to make my hacmac and let me tell you, I have never spent 1,999.00 on a desktop, but the machine I planned on making would have blown every machine except my AMD X2 out of the water. I only wish I knew that in the future the video card was replacable on my new iMac. It would make the decision making process easier. eventually the silver streakers will need a little boost and I believe it will be in the video card area.

It sounds like a new iMac maybe the better solution.

I will let you all know in a week or two if my decision was correct.

Eric

After careful consideration, I have broken down and decided to pay for the Mac. I agree with the last poster who said they hold their value. No kidding! 2-3 year iMacs and mac minis are selling for maybe 10% less than their retail value was back in the day!

Compare that to PCs where a 1 year old PC can't sell for more than 35% - 40% of its original value, and after 3 years is virtually worthless. I am confident that if you pay $1,300 for an iMac you will be able to resell it in two years for maybe $1,100. Its almost an investment! *stress on Almost*.

With that said, I am debating if I should go for 20 inch versus 24 inch. I wish they had a 22 inch option! I currently have a 22" inch monitor on my PC and wouldn't want to downgrade screen sizes, at the same time the 24 inch is maybe a bit too big (noticably bigger dimensions).

Assuming I end up with a 20", the next question I have is whether or not going from 2.0Ghz to 2.4Ghz and the slightly better video card is worth the extra $300. I have an external Hard Drive so I am not concerned with space other than for running the OS. What do you guys think? Big performance difference between the two 20 inch models or no? More importantly, is the difference $300 worth? My main uses for this computer will be web design tools like Photoshop and Dreamweaver, otherwise regular document editing and surfing. Maybe I'll dabble in movie editing but its definitley not a priority and probably wont be used more than a handful of times.

For the record I plan on buying two 2GB chips on Newegg for $150 and upgrading to 4GB of RAM no matter which config I go with!

The 20" iMac has the same resolution as your 22" screen did. 1680x1050 so in that respect it's not a downgrade, it's the same. The 24" has a very high res, 1920x1200, which is awesome in my opinion! More pixels = more space and better productivity!

More importantly, is the difference $300 worth? My main uses for this computer will be web design tools like Photoshop and Dreamweaver, otherwise regular document editing and surfing. Maybe I'll dabble in movie editing but its definitley not a priority and probably wont be used more than a handful of times.

In your case, I don't think the extra CPU speed is going to make a huge difference, it is MUCH more important to have plenty of RAM, for multitasking. The base level graphics card is also fine for your purposes...If you were gaming primarily I would say differently.

Any extra money I would recommend you spend on a bigger, or an extra display (you can run external display too) and more RAM (which you are getting anyway :D). These things which will help you a lot more.

It's a done deal for me too.

I ended up going for the 20" 2.4Ghz, 320GB HD, ATI HD 2600 256MB model as well. It was $1499 - $100 student discount. I also installed the Leopard drop in CD so I am running that now.

I put in a 1GB stick of RAM extra in it from my laptop for 2GB total for now until my new RAM ships. I ordered two 2GB sticks on NewEgg for $150, so I will have 4GB total once that arrives.

I couldn't be happier! The screen quality is AMAZING. If there was any justification for Apple's overpricing this is it. It really has to be seen at home to be believed, the fluorescent lighting of most stores doesn't do it justice.

So far I have not had any real problems and hopefully it will stay that way!

Look and see what these Hackintosh users are going through, and many still don't have certain things like sound or ethernet working at all. Now, there's no guarantee that when you upgrade, it won't break your installation. There's also no guarantee that you won't have applications that refuse to work.

The iMac, though seemingly more expensive than those cheap $899 boxes at Best Buy, is actually a bargain. Those computers typically don't have the processor power that comes on the iMac, nor do they have the component quality, nor do they easily run OS X at all. Apple's products are usually filled with quality components, not low-grade stuff you'll fine in the bargain Vista boxes. Quality costs money.

You'll have far less headaches, but you'll miss out in upgradability. Pick your poison, but for me...I'm gonna look at a real iMac come Spring.

• 4 weeks later...
The iMac, though seemingly more expensive than those cheap $899 boxes at Best Buy, is actually a bargain. Those computers typically don't have the processor power that comes on the iMac, nor do they have the component quality, nor do they easily run OS X at all. Apple's products are usually filled with quality components, not low-grade stuff you'll fine in the bargain Vista boxes. Quality costs money.

Well... thats a LOL man.

You want to tell me, that my Intel CPU in my hackintosh is of a lower quality, then the same model in iMac, just because it is not in iMac? Or that, if i buy a Hitachi HDD from Hitachi and not from apple, it will be worse? Or the same with Kingston RAM modules? OMG...

In case of all Macs that's the little apple logo, support and out of the box functionality, that cost money, not the quality of hardware.