Solution for non QE/CI Machines [Almost]

Paulo Greimel

22 posts in this topic

Today I was playing with Xcode 2.4 and discovered a very nice utility called OpenGLProfiler. This little tool makes some applications work without a QE/CI enabled VGA. Just select the app and lauch it from the OpenGLProfiler. You also need to specify some settings. I attached some pictures of settings that worked for me. But it is very slow for some things (almost all of them), I think it could be the beginning of a solution to the non QE/CI machines (even with Leopard). Using this, with an integrated VGA AGP of 64MB, I was able to:

1. Use CoverFlow in iTunes (slow)

2. Edit photos in fullscreen in iPhoto '08

3. Launch Numbers '08, Pages '08 and Keynote '08 (In Numbers '08 and Keynote '08 3D charts won't appear on the canvas but on Pages they will. Also I can't play presentations in fullscreen in Keynote, but almost all effects and transitions will work. Exporting .key files as QuickTime Movies works fine)

4. Use iWeb (Normally, iMovie '08 won't launch, didn't test iDVD and GarageBand)

5. Use Grapher for 3D compositions

6. Use Core Image Fun House, another utility from the Xcode pack.

Download Xcode 2.4 from ADC and try. Leopard users with no QE/CI could try and post the results (using the newer Xcode, version 3.0, this one come with the Leopard image). I also didn't test Dashboard.

Cheers,

Paulo

P.S.: If it is too confusing (I don't speak English very well), tell me and I'll change it.

post-67641-1193003611_thumb.png

post-67641-1193003552_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

Nice man!!! It would be a good solution for who have a geforce 8x00 series, because probably the "emulation" will be faster enough to be happy :P

Sure I will test it.

I tried it. Very nice. Now I get coherence to work at parallels. (it's not pretty fast, but it works).

The only problem is that you can take advantage of this with one program at same time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

thats nice,

cus my 8800gt is still not working,

thanks!

by the way, i cannot view the pics,

what settings should i use, i try many of them (x850xt 6800ultra),

still cannot get the cover flow in itunes ...

p.s. i'm using xcode 3.0 with opengl profiler 4.0(38)

• 1 month later...
Today I was playing with Xcode 2.4 and discovered a very nice utility called OpenGLProfiler. This little tool makes some applications work without a QE/CI enabled VGA. Just select the app and lauch it from the OpenGLProfiler. You also need to specify some settings. I attached some pictures of settings that worked for me. But it is very slow for some things (almost all of them), I think it could be the beginning of a solution to the non QE/CI machines (even with Leopard). Using this, with an integrated VGA AGP of 64MB, I was able to:

1. Use CoverFlow in iTunes (slow)

2. Edit photos in fullscreen in iPhoto '08

3. Launch Numbers '08, Pages '08 and Keynote '08 (In Numbers '08 and Keynote '08 3D charts won't appear on the canvas but on Pages they will. Also I can't play presentations in fullscreen in Keynote, but almost all effects and transitions will work. Exporting .key files as QuickTime Movies work fine)

4. Use iWeb (Normally, iMovie '08 won't launch, didn't tested iDVD and GarageBand)

5. Use Grapher for 3D compositions

6. Use Core Image Fun House, another utility from the Xcode pack.

Download Xcode 2.4 from ADC and try. Leopard users with no QE/CI could try and post the results (using the newer Xcode, version 3.0, this one come with the Leopard image). I also didn't test Dashboard.

Cheers,

Paulo

P.S.: If it is too confusing (I don't speak English very well), tell me and I'll change it.

post-67641-1193003611_thumb.png

post-67641-1193003552_thumb.png

Has anyone had any further success wth this approach?

• 2 months later...

i've also managed to run keynote, but i can't run the slideshow because it says i haven't got enough vram, but i do have 144

and also if there is any possible way to run it in a window, or i don't something to make it work

please help! thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This looks like exactly what I've been looking for, but the images in the first post seem to have disappeared, does anyone know what settings should be used? I've tried a variety of them, but none have seemed to work. If someone could help me out, that would be awesome.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I'm receiving a lot of private messages, so I've decided to post a reply here. Last week I logged in and saw that some of you were requesting the images that are now missing in my first post. I'm really busy at school and I don't have Mac OS X installed on my notebook anymore, and that's why I am unable to re-upload the screenshots.

I remeber changing many settings related to QE, many of them were some sort of "strings" you'd get by opening an inspector and dragging the ones you wanted to a box inside the own inspector. To test if the settings are correct (I think it's a combination of settings/"strings") just open iTunes and try CoverFlow. If it works, you're all set, and you'll be able to use the other apps I listed in this thread.

I know it won't be a problem. People in this forum are very smart and if I made it, you guys can too.

Best wishes,

Paulo

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm receiving a lot of private messages, so I've decided to post a reply here. Last week I logged in and saw that some of you were requesting the images that are now missing in my first post. I'm really busy at school and I don't have Mac OS X installed on my notebook anymore, and that's why I am unable to re-upload the screenshots.

I remeber changing many settings related to QE, many of them were some sort of "strings" you'd get by opening an inspector and dragging the ones you wanted to a box inside the own inspector. To test if the settings are correct (I think it's a combination of settings/"strings") just open iTunes and try CoverFlow. If it works, you're all set, and you'll be able to use the other apps I listed in this thread.

I know it won't be a problem. People in this forum are very smart and if I made it, you guys can too.

Best wishes,

Paulo

Were you referring to the Custom Pixel Format option? I am trying to use this on Xcode 3, and have not been able to achieve QE/CI working on the OpenGL Profiler. The one thing I would like to know is if you were using the Custom Pixel format, what Attributes were you using? Since there are many Attributes, it would be hard to find the combination you used, especially with a lack of available screenshots.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Finally after one year and a half of no response from anyone I managed to get it working!

All I did was select "Radeon X800 XT" (I don't think

this matters) and check "Use custom pixel format", choosing "kCGLPFAccelerated" in the "Edit" option.

Hope it helps!