VMWare + OS X: hangs at waiting for device

38 posts in this topic

Ok, so I am trying to install OS X (tried both tubgirl 10.4.10 and kalyway 10.4.10) in VMWare. But when I boot from the DVD (tried both mounting in VMWare as in daemon-tools), it starts loading (I boot with -v, so I can see what's going on). But it looks like it hangs when trying to mount the dvd (it says "waiting for root device blabla". I waited for like half an hour, but it did not continue (not even a "still waiting for root device".

I once installed OS X natively, that did work, but I don't want to do that now, I want it in OS X.

Information that might be useful:

• VMWare Workstation 6
  • Running op Windows XP Professional
  • AMD Athlon x2 3800+ (socket 939, not AM2)
  • Asus a8n-sli
  • 2 GB ram

I think that is all usefull info :) .

Who can help me :) ?

It would be better to try JaS 10.4.8 than 10.4.9. 10.4.9 (mainly Uphuck) is still not fully compatible with OS X.

Good luck!

I still had the 10.4.8 JaS dvd with which I installed it native once. But with this dvd, it does exactly the same.

I made a printscreen to show you what I mean:

osxvmware.png

I really don't understand it :(

Did you follow all the steps EXACTLY? Even a tiny mistake could screw things up. And also, in VMware is your virtual hard disk set to SCSI? Is so thats your problem. Create a new virtual machine as it says in my guide and make the guest OS Other or FreeBSD.

• 2 weeks later...

NO IT IS NOT A LIE. Tons of people have gotten it to work, this is the rare case where it just plain doesn't work. It may have something to do with the fact that you have an AMD CPU, which although JaS supports, isn't as good as Intel.

All I have to say is to follow the steps EXACTLY. One missing step and its down the drain.

Sorry...so you have an Intel CPU. But that doesn't really make a difference in this case, does it? Usually if you press OK on the DMA message it goes away and OS X will boot.

I see a problem. You are using VMware Workstation 6.0.2. Versions 6.0.2 and 6.0.1 have some problems with OS X. Grab a copy of VMware Workstation 6.0 build 45731.

Thought it would make, sense, i was told before to do this.about the "VMware Configuration File" your looks like nothing to mine, even if i add the lines you ask to add, why is this? can you upload it? and i'am confused about "#Note: Sometimes, the line scsi0.present="TRUE" won't work. Change it to scsi0.present="FALSE". However, on the test machine, this was not required." What do you mean??? "test machine"?? i did try this option and didnt help one drive i have the disc in i get the pboot list isnt found, UNLESS i hit f8 this type -v [enter], but i dont need to do this on my other dvd drive.???

Change your config file the way it says in my guide and you can't go wrong in terms of config. For the scsipresent = TRUE thing, I mean that SOMETIMES you have to change it to FALSE to make the VM work but when I was testing the guide, it was not required to change it to FALSE.

I know, BUT the screen shot you have up, is different then what you ask to add to the to the cfg, dont you understand what your saying you say, add these lines, BUT "it should look "SOMETHING" like this, so, like i ask please upload some where and give me the link, because i'am not typing that whole cfg file.

Argghhh....this is annoying trying to explain. PRETTY MUCH THE ENTIRE CONFIG FILE IS ALREADY MADE FOR YOU!!! ITS INSIDE THE VIRTUAL MACHINE FOLDER!! ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS ADD 1 or 2 LINES..IS IT HONESTLY THAT HARD??

Quote from my guide:

Step 4: Edit VMware config file

Navigate to the folder where you placed your virtual machine

Open the "VMware Configuration File" with Notepad

Add the line: paevm="true" to the end of the file

Note: For networking in 10.4.8, add the line ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000" to the file

THATS IT!! Just add the paevm="true" line to the file and if you want networking add the ethernet0.virtualDev="e1000" as well. Then save it and install.

I REALLY HOPE YOU GET IT THIS TIME

Sorry for the caps and screaming but I've said it at least 3 times now...

No, the reason, you said it 3 times, is b/c your not listening or understanding what i'am typing. LIKE I SAID, IS THAT : YOUR CFG IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO WHAT MINE LOOKS LIKE, EVEN IF I ADD THOSE LINES YOU MENTION!!!!!!!!!!! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, BUT the screen shot you have up, is different then what you ask to add to the to the cfg, dont you understand what your saying you say, add these lines, BUT "it should look "SOMETHING" like this, so, like i ask please upload some where and give me the link, because i'am not typing that whole cfg file.

See thats where you go wrong. You don't have to type it. Its already there. And if you followed the instructions properly you should be OK so stop worrying. Your current problem with the HD not showing up is probably because your virtual disk is set to SCSI. Change it to IDE.

change scsi to ide, where? That's not in you guide! change all scsi lines to ide u mean??

as for "See thats where you go wrong. You don't have to type it. Its already there. And if you followed the instructions properly you should be OK so stop worrying."

I FOLLOWED THEN THE GUIDE MASTER LEFT IMPORTANT TIPS OUT!!! ;)