Leopard a Service Pack?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Numberzz

Numberzz

Resident iPhone Expert

• Retired
  • 3,452 posts
So I made my way to Paul Thurrot's website when I saw a banner at the top that said something about Leopard. Posted Image
Usually Paul isn't this mean to Apple, even though he is a Windows Fanatic. So I decided to write something about Windows Vista Service Pack 1, or as I like to call it, Windows Vista GM. Now recently, Paul had posted an article of the beta of Service Pack 1. So I went to the page, and looked at the first "feature" that was mentioned. "Before and after: The Vista SP1 Start Menu, on the right, loses the Search item." Woah, slow down there. Losing a feature!? Damn, I wish I used Vista.

Traveling down the list, the next one pops out. "Before and after: Vista SP1, bottom right, drops a lot of the claims about Ultimate Extras. " No way, Microsoft finally toned down the services Mircosoft can provide if you pay $360 for an upgrade. Wow, that is one hell of a feature right there.

So finally, the best feature of them all. Get ready, this one is awesome. Here it is: "The new SP1 Disk Defragmenter lets you choose which volumes you'd like to defrag." NO F'ING WAY. That is amazing. Too bad Mac OS X already defragments any file below 20MB when you open it. Too bad.

So, Leopard might not have the New UI and Instant Search that Vista does. But hey, Vista was only like $360 right? I mean, who would pay $129 for Leopard, even with Kick-Ass features like Time Machine, Spaces, and Screen Sharing. Even when you have to get Anti-Virus for Vista and none for OS X. Saving Money and using a better OS is such a pain isn't it?
Learn About Vista SP1 Features Here.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

BreakTheChains

BreakTheChains

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Wow that Paul guy is a dicknose. He should definitely go jump off of a short cliff into a bed of blunt spikes. Oh and he should bring his {censored} OS Windows with him. Maybe I should talk to him about my wonderful time trying to fix Windows even before it's been installed. Yes that's right, it's not even installed and I'm having critical problems with it.

Someone should hack his website specifically to get rid of that banner.

CLiDE FTW!!1

CLiDE FTW!!1

Lay off the pipe.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

If someone was that easily offended by the banner, they should get out more.

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
IMHO, if you are an apple fan, don't take it too serious what M$ fan says and vice versa. Everybody's doing something in his or her way for its own reason, so does a company. Let it be, enjoy what you have and be objective on anything and even your enemy's behavior, period!

Dainix

Dainix

Level 12 Warmage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:15% APR for three years. After that, it's 20%.
A fanatic fighting a fanatic. Personally, this makes me chuckle.

Oh well, what I'm wondering is how Windows XP Service Pack 3 will turn out.

Numberzz

Numberzz

Resident iPhone Expert

• Retired
  • 3,452 posts
Guys, I just saw that and I decided to write something half-serious and half-funny about it. I know it was a rant, but still, I just wanted to write something about Vista.

SDRacer48

SDRacer48

Air Cody...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Duh! Computers. And my wonderful wife.

IMHO, if you are an apple fan, don't take it too serious what M$ fan says and vice versa. Everybody's doing something in his or her way for its own reason, so does a company. Let it be, enjoy what you have and be objective on anything and even your enemy's behavior, period!

Good Call

darcagn

darcagn

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
I don't know what's wrong with Paul Thurrott. I've read his site many times over the years, and I think he does a fine job. But despite his claim of being a "huge fan of both Apple and Mac OS X," he really comes off as a hater.

In his Leopard page he claims that Apple's OS software has costed $750 over the years (6 releases x $130) but what he fails to realize is that Puma was free for Cheetah users, so that's realistically only $650 (5 releases x $130). Purchasing a copy of the best (and only) version of OS X costs $130, whereas the best versions of Windows have costed $300+. If you bought every version of OS X since its existence vs. buying every version of Windows since OS X's existence, you would roughly be paying the same amount. Now, if you were making an individual one-time purchase, OS X wins out at $130.

I personally prefer the release-often schedule that Apple has with OS X. It keeps my computer up to date feature-wise and I always feel on the cutting edge of technology vs. Windows users still using the same OS they were using in 2001. But Paul forgets that until XP, Microsoft released fairly often, too. Windows 95, 98, Me (00), XP (01), not forgetting that 98 was supposed to be 97, and so forth.

Then he claims that Apple has "absolutely nothing" like Microsoft's Media Center and Tablet PC functionality. Uh, ever heard of Front Row or Inkwell? Admittedly both of these aren't as mature as Microsoft's products, and Inkwell isn't even used, I wouldn't say that Apple has "absolutely nothing" like that, as if Microsoft is some innovation machine.

I honestly don't think Vista had much improvements feature-wise over XP, so I don't see why he'd be making fun of Leopard by calling it a "service pack."

apowerr

apowerr

InsanelyMac Deity

• Retired
  • 1,875 posts
I like Paul Thurrott. A lot. I'll have to wait for his Leopard Review before I decide if he is simply hating.

Superhai

Superhai

InsanelyMac Legend

• Retired Developers
  • 1,425 posts
He is a fanboy of Windows, definetly. I don't think he hates OS X or Apple, but I wonder if he likes to be slightly sarcastic in his titles at times. But overall he is able to write good articles, and he put up some points that are worth pointing out. But you need to use a filter to demask some of his opinions.

Envying

Envying

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

He is a fanboy of Windows, definetly. I don't think he hates OS X or Apple, but I wonder if he likes to be slightly sarcastic in his titles at times. But overall he is able to write good articles, and he put up some points that are worth pointing out. But you need to use a filter to demask some of his opinions.

Can't agree no more, if you guys are interested in some of his review. Here is a very good and thorough one for iphone. I think it is way better than similar ones I saw on appleinsider, macworld or other Apple centric site.
http://www.winsupers...iews/iphone.asp

cmdshft

cmdshft

Retired OSx86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
As for the pricing thing, you guys are simply missing the scope of things. Apple is both a software and hardware vendor. And by restricting their software to their machines, they can sell their OS at a much lower price compared to a company who produces mostly software, namely Windows (I didn't say ONLY software, because I know you can include the Xbox and Xbox 360 as hardware).

And again, it's all about semantics. The Apple fanboys who pick on Windows for being pricey forget that a lot of the times, their precious hardware is also overpriced. Every caveat has it's pro's and cons, and Apple is not an exception.

CLiDE FTW!!1

CLiDE FTW!!1

Lay off the pipe.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

As for the pricing thing, you guys are simply missing the scope of things. Apple is both a software and hardware vendor. And by restricting their software to their machines, they can sell their OS at a much lower price compared to a company who produces mostly software, namely Windows (I didn't say ONLY software, because I know you can include the Xbox and Xbox 360 as hardware).

And again, it's all about semantics. The Apple fanboys who pick on Windows for being pricey forget that a lot of the times, their precious hardware is also overpriced. Every caveat has it's pro's and cons, and Apple is not an exception.

Totally agreed.

If you haven't, check out the book, "Wikinomics". It covers topics regarding the openess of software.

emmab2k6

emmab2k6

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Snakes , Planes , OS X , Computer Oviously , Windows , Shopping ,
for someone who dosnt like apple this paul guy certainly owns alot of apple products

SDRacer48

SDRacer48

Air Cody...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Interests:Duh! Computers. And my wonderful wife.
yes it is a service pack, version 5 to be exact

just like vista is a service pack, version 8 to be exact (that is counting back to the first release of W2K).

Number One Rule to call anything a new operating system:

It must have been rebuilt from the kernel up (not an addition or enhancement to the previous kernel). Neither have the trait.

SERVICE PACK

scj312

scj312

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
Leopard is not a service pack. 10.1, 10.2 and 10.3 were, in my opinion.

And, Vista SP1 has a new kernel from Server 2008. Not rewritten, but a :) of a lot faster.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
Even if it is, with all the new features added on to it, imo it's worth the cost. It's not like it's $300 for it.

bwhsh8r

bwhsh8r

InsanelyMac Deity

• Gurus
  • 2,085 posts

lol your calling that paul guy a {censored} for being a windows fanatic, guess what, your an osx obsessor, your doing the same stuff exept for osx.... if not worse

so you just called yourself a {censored} XD

you seem worse than him honestly,

but back on topic

yeah that banner really sumed up what leopard seems to be to me.....

it really isnt a new os.

dragossh

dragossh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

it really isnt a new os.

Of course it isn't. It's just a new version of OS X, like Vista is just a new version of Windows.

Sabr

Sabr

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

• Retired
  • 3,883 posts
Nice story Numberz. It's nice to see some original news coming from you. Keep it up! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy