ALERT! Newer MSI P35 and G33 based motherboards don't work with OSX86!

258 posts in this topic

hmm I really dont think MSI are going to do anything about that. They dont design their boards to enable us to install illegal software on them, so it really is our problem not theirs.

As for learning from other vendors...what do they have to learn? they're a big company, and their boards work well with windows. I'm fairly sure they know what theyre doing when they design them.

shame though :)

You'd have better luck complaining about lack of pnpbios support for Linux which is related to the ACPI issues we are seeing in osx86. In linux however you can get past he issues.

On the bright side AMI is the farthest along in build a working EFI. Maybe we'll see a UEFI some day.

Hi,

That's the way to front the problem... tell MSI about the Linux/Ubuntu problems with ACPI. I'm sure that if they fix this making compatible also will benefit us "hackintoshers".

Obviously they will never do anything for an unsupported/hacked OS.

Cheers!

their's answer

Thnaks for contacting MSI Technical Support.

My dear friend,please kindly provide us the issue you meet in official OS(XP/2000/Vista).ACPI is "Advance Configuration And Power Interface",just controlling your PC'power management.It include S0(Normal)/S1(Power on Suspend )/S2(CPU idle)/S3(Suspend to Ram)/S4(Suspend to Disk)/S5(shut down).Please check your PC'ACPI funcation. If you still have any question,please contact us an we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best Regards

MSI Technical Support Team

i expected this!

but may be some people that know more than i will contact them?

Oh well... the obvious stupid answer from MSI. ACPI is NOT ONLY for power management functions. I'm not an expert but I know that ACPI is also responsible of hardware detection and configuration, besides the mentioned power management. Anyway, I really don't know what's EXACTLY the problem that makes newer MSI motherboards incompatible with *nix/OSX86. This is something only a kernel expert could figure out.

Cheers!

have finally installed MacOSx86 10.4.8 JaS AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 (PPF1 & PPF2) on my MSI G33 MOBO.

had to install it using vmware workstation because the marvell ide controller is unsupported under osx86

and i have no sata dvd-roms. ich9r sata works very well. must install it on a whole harddisk.

the harddisk must be on sata port 2 (the orange one, left the purple one).

then i have updated to koolkal 10.4.10 intel combo sse3 only.

the only problems are onboard intel hd audio realtek alc888 and the intel gigabit lan 82566dc-2 :-(

bios settings....sata raid/ahci mode=ahci; onboard sata/ide device=enable; onboard sata/ide ctrl. mode: ahci;

acpi suspend type: s3 (str).

works for me...have a msi-7358 mobo with bios version 1.1

bios settings....sata raid/ahci mode=ahci; onboard sata/ide device=enable; onboard sata/ide ctrl. mode: ahci;

Well, the problem is that we P35 chip users don't have "sata raid/ahci mode=ahci", so we can't enable this in BIOS (I think?).

OR, maybe we can, but there is an error in the ACPI for our motherboards so it doesn't work anyway. Am I right?

/E

After doing a bit of testing I found that depending on whether IOACPI is enabled or not makes the difference between a kp and a reboot.

I tried installing using "-x cpus=1" and later removing the power management kext with no success. Changing between platform x86pc/acpi does not to repair the situation. In fact turning x86 on when ACPI is on in the BIOS causes a kp.

I have tried switching up between IOACPI 's MPS tables 1.4/1,1 but both these options result in a reboot.

Anyway, that's what a little poking around got me.

have finally installed MacOSx86 10.4.8 JaS AMD Intel SSE2 SSE3 (PPF1 & PPF2) on my MSI G33 MOBO.

had to install it using vmware workstation because the marvell ide controller is unsupported under osx86

and i have no sata dvd-roms. ich9r sata works very well. must install it on a whole harddisk.

the harddisk must be on sata port 2 (the orange one, left the purple one).

then i have updated to koolkal 10.4.10 intel combo sse3 only.

the only problems are onboard intel hd audio realtek alc888 and the intel gigabit lan 82566dc-2 :-(

works for me...have a msi-7358 mobo with bios version 1.1

Yes, it will work because you're using a virtual emulated machine. Not the native BIOS/ACPI implementation of the MSI motherboard.

Your install won't boot natively (and that's the real deal).

Well, the problem is that we P35 chip users don't have "sata raid/ahci mode=ahci", so we can't enable this in BIOS (I think?).OR, maybe we can, but there is an error in the ACPI for our motherboards so it doesn't work anyway. Am I right?/E

Nope, you're wrong :)

All the MSI Intel 3 Series family (at least all I tried) has AHCI disk controller mode (and legacy emulated IDE).

After doing a bit of testing I found that depending on whether IOACPI is enabled or not makes the difference between a kp and a reboot.

I tried installing using "-x cpus=1" and later removing the power management kext with no success. Changing between platform x86pc/acpi does not to repair the situation. In fact turning x86 on when ACPI is on in the BIOS causes a kp.

I have tried switching up between IOACPI 's MPS tables 1.4/1,1 but both these options result in a reboot.

Anyway, that's what a little poking around got me.

Already done all this, and also tried many permutations of kexts and such. No go. I think we don't have the tools for fixing this problem, unless you are a kernel expert. I guess that coding is needed for fixing this issue.

Cheers!

what is this and what does it mean

PC EFI Enables Vanilla OS X Kernel Boot on White Box PCs

After almost 2 years of waiting, the dream is finally becoming a reality! Last week, Netkas released his modified Apple Darwin bootloader to successfully boot an UNMODIFIED EFI kernel with NO hacked patches/workarounds on Intel Core/Core 2 architecture PCs.

EFI booting has been one of the ultimate goals of the OSx86 scene since the beginning with the hacking of Marklar. Mark this day in OSx86 history, it has been a long time coming!

PC EFI is currently at V4, and includes FSB autodetect, as well as multiboot support.

You can find more info here at Netkas' site, including guides and more.

Thanks to Joe Cargo for breaking the news in our very own Reader News forum! [i don't know why this wasn't posted, but it definitely belongs on the Front Page.]

*from the insanelymac.com's homepage

What we are talking about?

Does anybody got fix for our problem?

We've to ask gurus of OSX86 to write some fix (may be to pay some xtra $) or wait or sell off this mobo.

I loaded sucessfully Leopart Flat Image on my second machine: Ascrock i775Twins+Intel 945, CPU: P4 3Ghz

...and its loaded smooth without any kind of troubles.

So... As I know, MSI used new version of ACPI - 2.0 in new MoBos, and that's is the big reason way we got trouble loading any type of OSX86.

Because, have no support! No kexts!

Soon or later it will be done. That's only q of time... how long we've to wait for some fresh solution?

I'm not in hurry to get that stuff, because I work with Adobe CS3 under windows all the time.

But tommorow I'll try to change my MSI P35 to some compatible mobo like ASUS P5K or something else...