Torrents - No Leopard for you. Apple settles on 9A581 GM

MrDee

665 posts in this topic

no one replied so i am gonna try to install it form my ipod. its a 2nd generation so its just a matter of time before it dies. might as well use it.

If you restored it correctly onto ur ipod just go to system preferences -> startup disk and select ur ipod it should come up as 10.5 Mac OS X Leopard or something similar to that.. and just reboot

If you restored it correctly onto ur ipod just go to system preferences -> startup disk and select ur ipod it should come up as 10.5 Mac OS X Leopard or something similar to that.. and just reboot

i did that. but when i restart it, it shows the question mark in the folder and then boots straight into tiger. why is it doing this? i have an ibook g4.

ok i downloaded the image from alt.binaries.boneless on usenet and the rar file stops extracting when it gets to 3.96 gb. why? i am sure i downloaded all of the r files.

Maybe you're trying to unrar to a FAT32 partition? FAT32 does not support files larger than 4 GB.

maybe someone with access to ORIGINAL Leopard DVD could post checksums - md5 or sth - of all files (or the main, biggest one)? This would be the best way to check if something is 100% retail or not.

or maybe its avaible somewhere in the internet? im not sure if md5 of .dmg made of DVD is always completely the same.

Step 1. Acquire a copy of the Leopard Preview DMG(your on your own)

Step 2. Use Boot Camp to non-destructively partiton your startup disc

Step 3. Mount the image

Step 4. Open Disk Utility

Step 5. Erase/Format the Partition created by Boot Camp as a Mac OSX

Filesystem(Journaled)

Step 6. Click and select the image of Leopard from the list at the left.

Step 7. Goto Convert and Convert to a "DVD/CD Master", This will add .cdr to

the end of the filename

Step 8. Drag the newly created .cdr to the left side of Disc Utility, Insert a fresh

DL-DVD, then select the image and click the yellow burn button, or goto

"Images>Burn" in the top bar.

Step 9. After burning you can either Click on the "Install Mac OSX" icon on the

new DVD and restart, or you can restart and start off of the DVD by holding

down the C key on the keyboard, or by holding the option key to select the

startup disc.

I burned the original DMG image following this description, but now I am a bit confused. The DMG file is 6.66GB in size, decompressing or converting it to ISO results in a 7.5GB file/image, but burning the file like described above, creates a 7.11GB DVD. How can you explain that there are about .39GB missing on the DVD? Is this the BootCamp drivers part that has been left out by creating an HFS+ DVD? What makes my confusion perfect is the fact that Toast shows 7.5GB for the DVD!