[How To] Enable IDE/PATA on GA-P35-DS3L (and similar)

Skitals

17 posts in this topic

Depending on what installation dvd you use, IDE may work out of the box. If not, it's easy to get it working. All we need to do is at the proper device id to a driver.

Open a terminal window and switch to root:

sudo su
(enter password)

Open the AppleVIAATA.kext Info.plist with nano:

nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find " <key>VIA SATA Controller</key>" (yes, SATA, not PATA... and yes, we are enabling IDE). Underneath you will see " <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>" with bunch of ids under strings. All we need to do is add the proper id for our ide controller:

0x2368197b

Just add this id in with the others, and save the file by hitting ctrl+x. Press Y to save and overwrite the old Info.plist.

Now we just need to repair permissions and clear the cache. Enter the following commands:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Reboot, and your IDE drives should now show up!

This worked on my GA-P35-DS3L. It should work on any mobo with the same jmicron IDE controller. This fix was found by others with prior ide controllers with a different id (namely ich7, vs our ich9). Any motherboard with ICH9, this fix should work!

Very neat, thanks.

Just 2 questions :

Are you sure the device ID is 0x2368197b ?

I think I can read 0x2363197b on my GA-P35-DS3-R v1.0

Why do change ownership and mod ?

If the files are already installed, as you modify them as root, they already have the required set-up.

This is mendatory when you get the kext from somewhere else and copy it to your System.

Cheers,

a^

The DS3R has ICH9R because of the raid, versus ICH9 on the DS3L and other non-raid versions. The dev id may be different, as I don't know if the two use the same IDE controller (which is a jmicron). If your IDE isn't working and you know your dev id, use that in place of mine.

Regarding ownership and such, it's just habit :) Too many times in the past have I forgot to when needed, so now I do it every time I mess with system files.

0x2368197b = JMicron 368 not all P35 chipsets use this controller, quite a few use the older 363 one.

Using this hack ATA disks appear under the SATA tab i system profiler, using the JMicronATA.kext makes them appear under ATA tab.

I have read you should get a performance increase (you can test using xbench disk test) by using the sata drivers, which have legacy support.

Is there an easy way to check the dev id of your controller in OS X? If there is I will update the guide so the user can verify their id. The only way I know how to do it is in Windows device manager.

Skitals , or anyone who knows. I have a Gateway using the G33 motherboard chipset ICH9 controller. But lspci under mandriva Live CD shows a different ID. My DvD Burner is connected to the IDE and obviously not working.

Here is what lspci -nn diplays:

Mass storage controller [0180]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211]

I am not sure if that is a Jmicron controller or not.

Anyhow which kext do I need to modify and what format is the id: 0x82111293? or 0x12838211?

Anyhow please which kext do I modify?

Hoping to get a reply soon?

here is the link to the specs of that PC:

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014737R/1014737Rcl5.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Inte...06194Rsp2.shtml

Intel (Schroeder Town) G33 Motherboard

Chipset

Intel Bearlake-G33 GMCH Chipset, consisting of:

*Intel North Bridge (GMCH)

*Intel South Bridge (ICH9)

EDITED TODAY 5:15PM

Ok I edited the AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

under the sata

under the <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

0x82111293

I rebooted and Viola I now see the Optic DVD Serial-ATA DVD Burner in the Apple Logo More information Serial-ATA.

My HArd drive is still generic. I am using AHCI in BIOS.

Problem after putting in CD or DVD the system freezes.

What can I do to fix this? Do I need to edit a different kext since this is a G33 Intel Bearlake Motherboard?

I know I am real close to fxing this with some help?

Btw where were other device IDs in there which I kept then removed and made no difference. System freezes if I load a DVD or CD into it.

Edited 10-21-07 6PM

I have to working now thanks to this Link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry335069

But only on Jas 10.4.8 and I cannot get it to install correctly on Uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3. It keeps rebooting after the darwin boot and immediately after the extensions are repairing then I get the endless reboot!!

Edited 10-22-07 3AM

FIxed the endless reboot. I had to rename the AppleIntelCPU*.kext. I thought this was only the case for SSE2 kernels but I guess since this is somewhere between a SSE2 and SSE3 processor I suppose. Although its a P4 family 530 and I ran CpuID and it had SSE, SSE2, SSE3. Its the 880MHZ bus and 1meg of L2 cache so that in of itself tells you it has to be SSE3.

Is it possible to install an osx86 on a similar PC and after the install swap the drive and boot to it? NEver booting to the one you installed it on? Reason is because I cannot install the osx86 on the other PC because of the SATA controler. I have to modify the kexts then I am able to boot on the other PC.

I know TIger is not 100% posix but it seemed to work. Leo is going to be 100% posix.

Depending on what installation dvd you use, IDE may work out of the box. If not, it's easy to get it working. All we need to do is at the proper device id to a driver.

Open a terminal window and switch to root:

sudo su
(enter password)

Open the AppleVIAATA.kext Info.plist with nano:

nano /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Find " <key>VIA SATA Controller</key>" (yes, SATA, not PATA... and yes, we are enabling IDE). Underneath you will see " <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>" with bunch of ids under strings. All we need to do is add the proper id for our ide controller:

0x2368197b

Just add this id in with the others, and save the file by hitting ctrl+x. Press Y to save and overwrite the old Info.plist.

Now we just need to repair permissions and clear the cache. Enter the following commands:

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

Reboot, and your IDE drives should now show up!

This worked on my GA-P35-DS3L. It should work on any mobo with the same jmicron IDE controller. This fix was found by others with prior ide controllers with a different id (namely ich7, vs our ich9). Any motherboard with ICH9, this fix should work!

I have this board as well, and was having a lot of trouble. Finally installed JaS 10.4.8, with koolkal 10.4.10 upgrade on a USB external drive, but could not see my IDE drive DVD burner or Windows drive (SATA on another ICH9 port). Did the above kext manipulations: now the IDE DVD burner shows up. Booted into window, read the dev and ven info for my ICH9 drive controller(2926,8086=>0x29268086), added the info in the same place as above, now can see my Windows disk from inside the Mac system. Now, why my SATA DVD drive worked without the above mods, I do not know.

If your numbers are different, you may have AHCI enabled, I tried this on an initial install, but I could not get WinXP to play well with AHCI and didn't want to fork over the cash for Vista.

Is there an easy way to check the dev id of your controller in OS X? If there is I will update the guide so the user can verify their id. The only way I know how to do it is in Windows device manager.

There is a super easy way without going under Windows.

All your device IDs are displayed during the motherboard/bios boot of your PC (before Darwin is taking charge of the OS boot).

This info last on the screen for few seconds, so I took a picture of it to read all the IDs I needed.

0x2368197b = JMicron 368 not all P35 chipsets use this controller, quite a few use the older 363 one.

Using this hack ATA disks appear under the SATA tab i system profiler, using the JMicronATA.kext makes them appear under ATA tab.

Hi delish,

In fact I have still a small issue with the IDE : it freezes the Hack on large (2,3GB) transfers - and maybe on file listing too.

Do you think using the JMicronATA.kext instead of the AppleVIAATA.kext would help ?

Cheers,

a^

Skitals , or anyone who knows. I have a Gateway using the G33 motherboard chipset ICH9 controller. But lspci under mandriva Live CD shows a different ID. My DvD Burner is connected to the IDE and obviously not working.

Here is what lspci -nn diplays:

Mass storage controller [0180]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. ITE 8211F Single Channel UDMA 133 [1283:8211]

I am not sure if that is a Jmicron controller or not.

Anyhow which kext do I need to modify and what format is the id: 0x82111293? or 0x12838211?

Anyhow please which kext do I modify?

Hoping to get a reply soon?

here is the link to the specs of that PC:

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1014737R/1014737Rcl5.shtml

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Inte...06194Rsp2.shtml

Intel (Schroeder Town) G33 Motherboard

Chipset

Intel Bearlake-G33 GMCH Chipset, consisting of:

*Intel North Bridge (GMCH)

*Intel South Bridge (ICH9)

EDITED TODAY 5:15PM

Ok I edited the AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist

under the sata

under the <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

0x82111293

I rebooted and Viola I now see the Optic DVD Serial-ATA DVD Burner in the Apple Logo More information Serial-ATA.

My HArd drive is still generic. I am using AHCI in BIOS.

Problem after putting in CD or DVD the system freezes.

What can I do to fix this? Do I need to edit a different kext since this is a G33 Intel Bearlake Motherboard?

I know I am real close to fxing this with some help?

Btw where were other device IDs in there which I kept then removed and made no difference. System freezes if I load a DVD or CD into it.

Edited 10-21-07 6PM

I have to working now thanks to this Link

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry335069

But only on Jas 10.4.8 and I cannot get it to install correctly on Uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3. It keeps rebooting after the darwin boot and immediately after the extensions are repairing then I get the endless reboot!!

Edited 10-22-07 3AM

FIxed the endless reboot. I had to rename the AppleIntelCPU*.kext. I thought this was only the case for SSE2 kernels but I guess since this is somewhere between a SSE2 and SSE3 processor I suppose. Although its a P4 family 530 and I ran CpuID and it had SSE, SSE2, SSE3. Its the 880MHZ bus and 1meg of L2 cache so that in of itself tells you it has to be SSE3.

Is it possible to install an osx86 on a similar PC and after the install swap the drive and boot to it? NEver booting to the one you installed it on? Reason is because I cannot install the osx86 on the other PC because of the SATA controler. I have to modify the kexts then I am able to boot on the other PC.

I know TIger is not 100% posix but it seemed to work. Leo is going to be 100% posix.

-.- diddn't worked for me.

my system: (medion msi pc)

msi-7358 v1.1 mobo

intel bearlake g33 / ich9r / marvel 88se6111 / intel gigabit ethernet 82566

via vt6308 firewire 1394 / intel hd audio alc888 / intel gma x3100

intel core2quad

msi nvidia geforce 8500gt 256mb pcie

1x sata hdd 500gb / 1x sata hdd 200gb / 2x pata dvd / 1x pata 10gb hdd

(i know my marvel+gigabit+gma x3100 + 8500 unsupported)

installed mac osx86 v10.4.8 (jas amd-intel-sse2-sse3 with ppf1 & ppf2).iso

under win/vmware workstation 6.x with no problems an edited the appleviaata.kext...

with my dev/ven nr. 0x29228086.

booted native from scsi-0 pata hdd slave, dvd is master!

onchip ide device: onchip secondary pci ide=disabled; sata mode=ide; legacy mode=disabled

grey macos loading screen...than forbidden sign

with -v boot command:

cpus ok; firewire ok; usb ok; ....

extension "com.apple.driver.itunesphonedriver" has no kernal dependency.

still waiting for boot device...

whats wrong?

ide device not supported?

thx for help

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have the Gigabyte P35 DS3L and I did everything according to your instructions (i'm running leopard however)

anyways, It didn't work after i restarted, but after I was messing with some sound kexts and restarted with -f option, my PATA DVD rom worked.

but right now, after restarting it is not working again.

Is there anything i am doing wrong?

Jon

Some random thoughts on this board,

As far as I know it is normal for the 2nd bank of SATA ports not to be active in Mac OS X on this board. (If I'm wrong I'd be glad to know how to enable them). You should be able to have 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives but that's it. In my case I am using a Pioneer IDE DVD drive and 2 SATA HDs in the first bank only. Macs have used Pioneer DVD drives ever since the first SuperDrives came out on the Digital Audio G4s so get one of them if you want to avoid any hassle. I haven't had any trouble booting of the BrazilMac DVD with the Pioneer and I didn't have to edit any kexts or anything.

I couldn't get the motherboard audio working and am using a cheap Turtle Beach USB dongle for audio out. Anyone else get theirs to work? If so I'd be interested in what kexts you used.

Ethernet worked intermittently off the Brazilmac install without any extra kexts installed but eventually it became obvious that something was wrong so I installed the Realtek1xxx_1.02 driver and ethernet works fine now.

One other thing, in the manual, in the section about setting the SATA AHCI Mode it shows an option for SATA Port0-3 Native Mode but on my actual machine it shows that option as SATA Port0-1 Native Mode. Is this what everyone else is seeing? I'm wondering if that's just a typo in the manual or if something changed on the board after the manual was printed, might explain why only 2 SATA ports are recognized.

I've been using this method to connect my Pioneer 112-D IDE DVD writer

I have EFI v51 emulation with ToH_sleep kernel and most of the time the computer is stable.

the only thing i really have to say is that when i have programs that back-up my DVDs, or i assume something very IO intensive on the computer will show that POWER button grayed out and tells me to restart.

Anybody else have this issue? or have other kexts that they replaced that I might have not?

• 1 month later...

hi sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this... but here goes anyway...

i have an IDE working fine (almost) on osx 10 5 1 kalyway.. except that it appears to be causing kernel panics when it is connected (maybe lasts an hour, maybe 2). is this a common problem? i dont mind disconnecting it, its just that at the moment it is storing all of my old data from xp days (mp3s avis etc etc)

i can't be certain if it is a hdd problem causing the panic as a panic.log is never created. but disconnecting the drive certainly seems to have fixed the problem...

any suggestions?

oh i tried searching, for ide crash, ide panic, etc etc. and it brought me here!

thanks!

tim.