[How To] use the Figerprint Scanner (Biometrics Coprocessor) of the Dell XPS M1330

macgirl

65 posts in this topic

EDIT 14th January 2008:

Software Protector Suite Updated, now works with Leopard too.

Upek realeased previous version before Leopard was released and a note on their site said thar version 1.00 will work with Leopard, now it works.

If you enrolled your finger with the previous version possibly the software will alert you that your winger was already enrolled but you can erase all previous enrollments.

1.- Go to http://www.upek.com/solutions/mac/default.asp and register to download the application preview.

2.- Install it and select the options to login with fingerprint scan or password

3.- Reboot

4.- Login does not work with fingerprint scan because it does not have any of your fingerprints registered

5.- Run the Protector Suite Assistant and register your fingerprints follow the tutorial if you never did it before.

6.- Logout

7.- Login with your Finger :)

I was searching for applications that support fingerprint readers on Mac, my surprise was that the company that made the software included in the Dell XPS M1330 is announcing the preview application for the mac, and also they make a USB fingerprint scanner that (as I suspected) uses the same biometric coporocessor (Thomson), so the rest was very easy.

One of the best things about our old PC was that we had a APC fingerprint scanner for it. We loved it. Unfortunately APC won't support the Mac, we've begged them for years but they keep saying that no one else with a Mac wants this feature so it's not worth their time to write the drivers. Later on I'll see if this software works with the APC scanner.

THANKS macgirl for bringing this topic up :blink:

BTW - Just noticed this in the readme file:

"There are some problems for users having FileVault activated."

One of the best things about our old PC was that we had a APC fingerprint scanner for it. We loved it. Unfortunately APC won't support the Mac, we've begged them for years but they keep saying that no one else with a Mac wants this feature so it's not worth their time to write the drivers. Later on I'll see if this software works with the APC scanner.

THANKS macgirl for bringing this topic up :o

BTW - Just noticed this in the readme file:

"There are some problems for users having FileVault activated."

Did this program work with your APC scanner??

• 2 weeks later...

macgirl, have you had any issues with the upek suite crashing when trying to set up your fingerprint profile? I have a Sony VAIO SZ Notebook with the same fingerprint scanner as your dell. I can't seem to get the software to run long enough to set up a profile. Any suggestions?

-Jason

Never, which Mac OS X version do you have?

The only thing that I don't like now is that there is no option to left the Auto Login working as normal, and if I dont pass the finger in certain time it ask for admin user and password but easy to take back to Fnger Scan login by pressing the "Esc" key.

I wrote to Upek, I said I would like to Auto Login is not afected by the suite.

10.4.10 w/ 8.10.1 kernel. Newest SMBios from Netkas' site. Seems to be unstable only in the setup app after login; therefore I can't set up a profile because the sensor crashes each time it ask me for input. I hope they will continue to progress with this software as I would quite like to use it.

-Jason

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was able to download and install the Protector Suite, but after going through the tutorial, and trying to setup enrollment, it appears it won't register any of my fingers.

-I finish tutorial

-Setup with users able to create, modify, delete // Login w/ pw or swipe

-Keychain on or off

-Click index finger and swipe to enroll

Error

"This fingerprint has already been enrolled!"

I've tried this with multiple fingers, to no success. No one is enrolled. No options are available to do anything except enroll when starting the app.

Is there a way to reset the settings? Google options are limited to PC fixes and deleting registry keys.

Yes you can erase all enrollments (even if there are no previous), that worked for me.

On windows the softare asks where do you want to put the enrollments (hard disk or the device itself), I guess that if you already enrolled on windows/other it says that, but could be another error because I tried with fingert that I never enrolled on windows :o

Thanks, this worked great for me on my Dell D630 ;)

I suppose I should get around to setting this up properly in 'doze and linux now :P

Another part ticked off in the list to get this laptop working fully with leopard :D

Update:

I guess the problem was that when I registered my fingers on my right hand in Vistax86, then deleted the OS to install Leopard, it kept the fingerprints in the scanner (HW and not the SW).

When I registered someone else's finger, I was able to make an account and then finally delete the other user's fingerprints. The option wasn't available until I made the first account! =( Don't register all your fingers on 1 OS!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried this on my lenovo n200 which uses I guess a different companies finger print scanner. Anyone else get it to work on a lenovo?

AuthenTec Inc AES2501A is what i have.

I guess never expected to be using my finger print reader in OSX anyway.

Anyone have a hint for me?

THANKS

Update:

I guess the problem was that when I registered my fingers on my right hand in Vistax86, then deleted the OS to install Leopard, it kept the fingerprints in the scanner (HW and not the SW).

When I registered someone else's finger, I was able to make an account and then finally delete the other user's fingerprints. The option wasn't available until I made the first account! =( Don't register all your fingers on 1 OS!

It almost 4am and I didn't have anyone to help me so I used one of my toes. Afterwards I was able to go in and deletes all fingerprints. Thanks for the tip!

• 3 weeks later...
EDIT 14th January 2008:Software Protector Suite Updated, now works with Leopard too.Upek realeased previous version before Leopard was released and a note on their site said thar version 1.00 will work with Leopard, now it works.If you enrolled your finger with the previous version possibly the software will alert you that your winger was already enrolled but you can erase all previous enrollments.1.- Go to http://www.upek.com/solutions/mac/default.asp and register to download the application preview.2.- Install it and select the options to login with fingerprint scan or password3.- Reboot4.- Login does not work with fingerprint scan because it does not have any of your fingerprints registered5.- Run the Protector Suite Assistant and register your fingerprints follow the tutorial if you never did it before.6.- Logout7.- Login with your Finger :lol: I was searching for applications that support fingerprint readers on Mac, my surprise was that the company that made the software included in the Dell XPS M1330 is announcing the preview application for the mac, and also they make a USB fingerprint scanner that (as I suspected) uses the same biometric coporocessor (Thomson), so the rest was very easy.
THANKS MACGIRLMY fingerprint scan ITS WORKING IN my dell xps 1530 whit MAC OS X 10.5.2

I have a built in TouchChip fingerprint sensor (Vaio TZ) and despite the fact that it's recognised by the system profiler (Under USB it has a fingerprint sensor which has its ID and Vendor TouchChip), the program kept saying that there's no fingerprint sensor detected. It's so weird. Any idea?