Compiz, anyone done it?

Atown

27 posts in this topic

3D Effects

Lets cut to the chase. Do the new desktop effects feel like a hack? Yes they do.

Specially when you compare them to the competition. When you look at the photo transitions of iPhoto on a MacBook, they are smooth and fluid. When you drag windows around in Vista, or minimize and maximize on top-end hardware, the transitions are fluid and consistent. When you minimize and maximize windows in Ubuntu? The animation sometimes disappears if your computer is under load. When you enable photo transitions in F-Spot on Ubuntu? I can’t believe my eyes witnessing the graphical tears on the photo as one picture transitions to the next. This is on an Intel Quad CPU with Nvidia Geforce 8800.

Additionally if you run applications that take advantage of compositing effects you’ll still notice unpleasant artifacts. For example if you’re familiar with the application “Cairo Clock”, if you logout from the desktop while running the clock application, the drop shadow of the clock dies and is replaced by a black square.

This happens because the compositing manager process, Compiz in this case, terminates before the clock process. This situation almost reminds me of the days when I tweaked windows 2000 with Stardock DesktopX and Windowblinds to “Bling up” my desktop eye-candy. The fact that the visual effects load in stages really hurt the overall slickness impression.

What should also be noted however is that some of the problems I bring up are not too difficult to fix, and these issues really fall into the QA and “spit and shine” phase of the development process. We have a working Compositing Desktop for example. As of writing this article we have working drivers for both ATI and Nvidia for AIGLX. What we need is the attention to detail in the implementation of the 3D effects to “guarantee” that Compiz starts before any other application and terminates after all other programs have closed to eliminate the hackish feeling of the wonderful work that has already been put into the software.

Such artifacts make Ubuntu look like a cheap car with $5000 Rims, when inherently the software is really far from that!

Al least, someone with a brain ...

http://architectfantasy.com/?p=1

As usual, despite what the linux community is saying, theirs 'alpha-beta-rc4' features cannot compete with MacOSX/Windows. Almost all their desktop features are pre alpha quality softwares anyway.