Americans

miranda363

30 posts in this topic

To the one who lives in Berlin, I have to disagree. I'm American, and I routinely deal with incompetence and rudeness here. But when I'm spending time in Germany, it's the complete opposite. Germans are so polite and eager to help with any problem I may have. Most trip over themselves to speak English, when it's really not necessary.

• 1 month later...

A man from Newport goes for a walk and meets a wanderer. The wanderer asks:

"How are the people in Newport? Is it a good place to live?"

"How were the people where you came from?"

"Very friendly, open-minded and warm", answered the wanderer.

"Then you will like Newport. The people there are the same."

A short time later, he meets another wanderer:

"How are the people in Newport? Is it a good place to live?", asks the wanderer.

"How were the people where you came from?"

"Unfriendly, unwilling to help and cold-hearted."

"Then don't go to Newport, because the people there are the same", answers the man.

-----

Pretty much every country has nice people living in it, just the ways to approach them differ. I was born and raised in Germany and have since lived in Switzerland and moved to NYC a couple of months ago. Not that much of a difference, apart from Germans and Swiss in general usually hating smalltalk, which might make them seem impolite to some. We just really don't give a damn about the weather, though ;)

Apart from what you always hear, New Yorkers are also a very nice bunch of people, if you accept them the way they are. Being straightforward or grumpy does not necessarily make someone a bad person, if you smile at them and are nice, they will be too.

There's just one thing I really miss from Germany, which is what the thread starter seemed to like most about the US and which bothers me endlessly: The being really nice and polite even to people you don't like in the US. In Germany, if someone is friendly, it means they like me. Here, if someone is friendly, they might secretly hate my guts. It's driving me crazy, and to me is phony. But once again, it's nothing but cultural preferences. I like people being rude if they don't like me. It's an honest thing to do, and I can either try to change their mind - and see instantly whether it works, because they become nice - or decide not to waste my time. I really don't want to bother wasting time hanging out with people just to find out they don't even particularly like me.

If you don't like someone, don't act like you do. There is no reason to insult someone, just be neutral and everybody is better off :) Where I'm from, people are not necessarily nice. But if you befriend them, they will have your back no matter what and stand to you no matter what, f*ck what everybody else says or thinks. It is a nice feeling to have friends like that.

There's just one thing I really miss from Germany, which is what the thread starter seemed to like most about the US and which bothers me endlessly: The being really nice and polite even to people you don't like in the US. In Germany, if someone is friendly, it means they like me. Here, if someone is friendly, they might secretly hate my guts. It's driving me crazy, and to me is phony. But once again, it's nothing but cultural preferences. I like people being rude if they don't like me. It's an honest thing to do, and I can either try to change their mind - and see instantly whether it works, because they become nice - or decide not to waste my time. I really don't want to bother wasting time hanging out with people just to find out they don't even particularly like me.

If you don't like someone, don't act like you do. There is no reason to insult someone, just be neutral and everybody is better off ;) Where I'm from, people are not necessarily nice. But if you befriend them, they will have your back no matter what and stand to you no matter what, f*ck what everybody else says or thinks. It is a nice feeling to have friends like that.

Great, that is my experience of Germany too, as I wrote in Post #22.

In no other European country I have had such great friends as in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...
Are you kidding me? :)

Come to Australia. Don't believe that we're what your shows on Fox portray us to be (talking about LOST in particular there).

are you kidding.... with rate of attacks on indians on the rise in australia....

hey but my aunt has lived there for more than two decades now.... her children are married to aussies .....also have other relatives there....

thx to a few guys ....u have a very bad image here.....

wonder if those beaten up chaps did sumthing stupid to deserve it...and why no one from ym family ever got beat up....

or maybe its because we are christians and not hindus..... well at least thats what my family members keep telling me...

are you kidding.... with rate of attacks on indians on the rise in australia....

And some of those are not racially motivated. There are places that I would not go a night (as I am sure there are in India). If you put yourself in a place of danger through ignorance or otherwise unfortunately you are probably going to be injured.

Two cases that part of the Indian media highlighted as racial attacks (one the manslaughter of a young boy), were actually done by other members of the Indian community. Did not see the same media print theese facts once they had become known!

hey but my aunt has lived there for more than two decades now.... her children are married to aussies .....also have other relatives there....

Says it all really. Immigrants of whatever nationality that integrate well are happy, its the ones that don't that complain the most.

thx to a few guys ....u have a very bad image here.....

A minority can give the whole a bad name. Racism is not confined to one side either.

wonder if those beaten up chaps did sumthing stupid to deserve it...and why no one from ym family ever got beat up...

That can happen. Some minor prince was attacked, some of his Indian co-students said he was arrogant and they were not surprised it happened. Not to excuse the perpetrators of the crime.

or maybe its because we are christians and not hindus..... well at least thats what my family members keep telling me...
Unfortunately that type of bigotry seems to have been imported via immigration that people bring their hatred with them. Personally I see that type of thing happen with recent generations.