What's your fastest boot time with any OS, emulated, or real?

Korrupted

35 posts in this topic

Fastest I've ever seen was a BBC Micro that we still use sometimes in Physics at school. That thing is on instantaneously!

On my Powerbook-

Tiger - 55 secs

Leopard - 1 min 15 secs

Xubuntu - 1 min

Hackintosh

Leopard - 28 secs

Tiger - 20 secs

XP Pro SP2 - 25 secs

Mac OSX Leopard - about 5 secondsI love leopard... :) Anyone know where i can find some new Leopard Icons? I have a bunch...but they're all kinda boring, and I don't really want to make my own. I mostly need Application Icons.

Fastest I've ever seen was a BBC Micro that we still use sometimes in Physics at school. That thing is on instantaneously!On my Powerbook-Tiger - 55 secsLeopard - 1 min 15 secsXubuntu - 1 minHackintoshLeopard - 28 secsTiger - 20 secsXP Pro SP2 - 25 secs
Isn't that kind of slow...? My Mac running OSX Leopard boots in about 5-6 seconds. I timed it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

all i can say is it depends on a lot more than just the OS.

with all devices in bios enabled booting a win xp sp2 needs at least 20 seconds (leopard is a little bit quicker), when i turn off al devices i never use and need (bluetooth, ir controller, sata raid controller and much more don't in my mind yet) i'm saving at least 4 or 5 seconds till the OS is starting to load an on the windows bootup i save at least another 5 seconds because there are less devices to wait for.

on osx the os bootup itself isn't speedup by this it's just starting earlier with the booting process and will be usable (with mail, opera, parallels and itunes started) in under 20 seconds.

thats amazing, windows can't do this.

and also network connections are a lot sooner accesable then under windows, and thats really wierd, because they all are windows machines

• 1 month later...

My machines:

PC1 - AMD64 3400+; 1.125GB Memory; Geforce 4 Ti 4200; 7200RPM 80GB IDE HDD

PC2 - Pentium 4 3.0GHz HyperThreading; 512Mb Memory; ATI x1300 Graphics; 7200RMP 80GB IDE HDD

MacBookPro - Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz; 2GB Memory; GeForce 8600GT; 5400RMP 200GB SATA HDD

iMac - 400MHz G3; 512Mb Memory; ATI Rage Pro; 5400RPM 15GB IDE HDD

I did some (incomplete) testing and came up with the following results (Startup/Shutdown; includes POST):

PC1 XP - 41s / 37s

PC2 XP - 34s / 12s

MacBook Pro XP - UNTIMED

iMac XP - UNTESTED (Maybe VPC, some year)

PC1 Vista - UNTESTED

PC2 Vista - 1m20s/12s

MacBook Pro Vista - 44s/12s

iMac Vista - UNTESTED (Yeah, right)

PC1 Mac OS Tiger - UNTESTED

PC2 Mac OS Tiger - UNTESTED

MacBook Pro Tiger - UNTIMED

iMac Tiger - 57s/12s

PC1 Mac OS Leopard - NOT COMPATIBLE

PC2 Mac OS Leopard - WON'T BOOT AFTER INSTALL

Macbook Pro Leopard - 58s/13s

iMac Leopard - NOT COMPATIBLE ;)

Specialized OS:

PC2 MicroXP (78Mb CD) - 22s/4s

Ubuntu testing coming soon as well as some of the above I missed.

My NEC Mobile Pro 900C starts pretty much instantly with Windows CE.NET 4.2. When it really boots from a soft or hard reset it takes a few seconds. I don't have to do that very often.

A fresh minimum install of OS 10.4.7 on a 150GB Raptor in my 3GB equipped iMac booted quite fast. Adding back 10.4.11 and all the applications slowed it down alot. OSX seems to really suck at managing application activity (memory and storage). I used NeXTs in college which didn't seem to have much trouble running on much lesser hardware.

OS 9.0.4 running under Sheepshaver takes about 15 seconds to boot on the iMac.

Cold booting, my E8400 rig loads Windows XP MCE 2005 in 25 seconds, with most services enabled (including the MCE stuff) and AVG 7.5; I haven't given 10.5.1 a time run yet. The G4 loads OS X 10.5.2 in 4 minutes with the 6200 and just under 1 minute with the GF2 video card; that machine could also load OS 9.22 in 12 seconds with no extensions from cold boot, including testing 1.5 GB RAM.

The fastest boot time I ever had with a disk-based GUI was Windows 3.1 on a 486-DX2/80 with 8 MB RAM (7 seconds). Fastest disk-based OS I've ever seen load was MS DOS 6.22 (no drivers or EMS) in 4 seconds, only because BIOS took 3 seconds to check RAM and drives.

Nothing beats the old Atari 800XL I had from power on to usable, however - less than 1 second to a basic prompt, including startup diagnostics.

(edited - added G4 info)