MS Office 2008 Beta available...

Schweppes

49 posts in this topic

The real fix is simple enough: open /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin in a hex editor (my favorite is 0xED). Make sure that you are in overwrite mode. Go to offset 0x4004CE and change the value of the byte from 55 to C3. Restart all Office applications and there will no longer be any beta expiration notices.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the preceeding fix applies to Intel only. Untested PPC fix: replace the four bytes starting at offset 0x118AF0 from 7C 08 02 A6 to 4E 80 00 20.

The real fix is simple enough: open /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin in a hex editor (my favorite is 0xED). Make sure that you are in overwrite mode. Go to offset 0x4004CE and change the value of the byte from 55 to C3. Restart all Office applications and there will no longer be any beta expiration notices.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the preceeding fix applies to Intel only. Untested PPC fix: replace the four bytes starting at offset 0x118AF0 from 7C 08 02 A6 to 4E 80 00 20.

works great !!! thanks ;)

an alternative patch, also works on both intel and power pc:

hexedit the (same) file:

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Office/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin

for intel, jump to offset 400CAD and change "E8 1C F8 FF FF" to "90 90 90 90 90".

for powerpc, jump to offset 1190C0 and change "4B FF FA 31" to "60 00 00 00".

be sure not to add, but instead to replace the existing code.

both changes put a nop in place of a call to the function "McpDoBetaCheck".

I love it! I am a switcher (please don't lench me) but when we did switch we went big time. We went from 2 PCs in the house to 5 Macs and 2 PCs. That said, I enjoy Office much more on the Mac than I do on the PC. I have always loved the Office Suite, though. I wondered how MSoft would outdo 2007 Professional, and I have to admit, they did... :stretcher:

I used that patch on pirate bay and it worked great for me. If you are still getting a time "expired" message after the patch has been applied, set your clocks back a month, run the office app to start the setup assistant and when you've finished that you can turn you clocks back and open office.

I am running the patch for Office 2008 successfully, thanks to the creators of that wonderful patcher.

I have tried to search and it seems that everyone is so tight lipped about an updated beta for office 2008. Does anyone have the scoop on an update? Is the beta over.... for good? I would have thought that by now , since it expired on the 18th, that someone would have a new build of beta or a release candidate. Am I not looking in the right place?

I am actually really enjoying this beta. I use it daily for all my needs, entourage being the app that I use most. I only installed the beta 2008 for the My Day application that doesn't seem to work, sadly.

I posted at another forum recently about my MY DAY application not displaying any of my events in entourage. The post was locked pretty quickly, but right before someone talked about a MY DAY fix that was seeded before the beta expired. Has anyone any info on this? I would really like to get this working, as it would help all aspects of my daily productivity.

Thanks Eyephone