Dell XPS M1330 Hardware

smellyshoes90

322 posts in this topic

Yes, I also have a problem installing on my XPS M1330.

I am using Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4i r3 (for Intel only).

It installs but crashes when booting up.

Hardware is Core2Duo (Merom), Geforce 8400m, Santa Rosa, Intel WiFi Link a/g/n, and Sigmatel audio.

Thanks.

Guys, I'm suspecting the problem lies with the new Santa Rosa Platform power management. Since there have been

cases of Asus on Santa Rosa not working, I reckon the problem is widespread. I actually got a little further today, I boot

into verbose mode from darwin, It seems to be the Apple ACPI management that's stuck. In fact, when I off the Speedstep,

Dynamic Clocking and Running on Single core. The JaS CD booted into the Grey Apple Logo, previously it restarts 1 sec after the logo. Now it loads forever, verbose will load until there will be unreadable distortion. Much like very serious error. We might

get t to work either by tweaking the Dell's BIOS or changes to Apple ACPI. Althought strange that Macbook and Macbook Pro relies on the same architechture.

P.S: It worked on my XPS M1210, funny thing...

Dell XPS M1330

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300

2GB 667mhz DDR2 RAM

160GB 7200RPM 2.5" HDD

nVidia GeForce 8400GS

YES, I'm using Mac OS on my XPS M1330.

Method of install:

Made a FAT32 partition.

Jas 10.4.8 10.4.8 DVD

Upgrade to 10.4.10 with Pascalw packacge

When I installed I booted with cpus=1 and -s option (Single User mode)

then when i got the Prompt I hit control-D, it stalls at a point so I hit the eject button so it continues (I put back the DVD again).

Once the installer is running I use the Disk Utility and erase (format) the FAT32 partition to a HFS+ Journaled, back to the Installer I choose the new partition, I select only the JAS ATA option, wait to the installer ends.

Once Mac OS is installed every boot until upgrade to 10.4.10 I did the eject trick (you need a cd or dvd inside).

I made the upgrade to 10.4.10

Before the upgrade the screen shows trailing of things, also I could set Graphics Mode to 1280x800x32 on the com.apple.Boot.plist

Things that works:

Keyboard an Trackpad,

USB and FireWire ports,

webcam, (does not need iChatUSBCam)

Media buttons works flaswlesly,

Bluetooth,

Graphics card in VESA mode only (but is very fast thoug),

External VGA port works with the fn-f8 keys,

I don't have a DVI-HDMI cable or monitor yet, so I don't know if that port works.

Things that doesn't work:

Ethernet (broadcom 59xx)

Wireless Intel Card 4935ABG

Card Reader.

The Fingerprint reader is recognized, so with proper software can be used.

I use a Ralink based chip C-Net USB Wireless and a Linksys USB to Ethernet to connect to Internet.

I got sound with AppleHDA patch but only trhu headphones jack, other usb sound cards works.

Since I have no QE/CI I use Toast 7 instead of 8 version,

VMware works great, even it recognizes Vista partition as Boot Camp, but does not allow 3d aceleration.

More to come...

I might have stumbled upon a site which will get the Intel 4965 A/B/G/N wireless card working.

It's on http://code.google.com/p/iwidarwin/

Currently not released as stable, but I guess soon a stable release.

Yet to try this out, keep you guys posted when I manage to. Meanwhile if you can it to work please share your results.

The XPS might just be one of the hackintoshes sucess with full support soon, CI/QE graphic, wireless and ethernet. Cross fingers!

Rock On!

I tried the iwidarwin, no luck it locks the system, I could try with other version of Mac OS X,but right now I onlyy have space in this disk to 10.4.10, maybe later when I get a larger HD.

I hope soon will be a suport to eht 8400GS card, and fix to the audio problem so I can rid of Vista.

Anyone knows how the Card reader is conected? It does not appear on the USB busses.

Macgirl: The card reader is attached to the system via the PCI Bus, Precisely Bus 3 of the mainboard. It's not

the PCI-E bus or the USB. The card reader shares the same Bus as the Firewire. Only listed by the diffrent function

value.I

I'm having performance problem with the OS X, it's sluggish running on VMware. Any idea?

RAM is set at 1024MB. Single processor at the moment. Installing 10.4.10 update now.

You mention dumping Vista, Well. That was also my intention with the M1210 at first, but later you will find that OS X's

limitation in software is annoying, it all depends on your usage. But still in OS X I can multitask way more efficiently than windows.

Almost forgeting about crashing issue, unlike windows. I usually mulitask till I pushes the system to the limit of crashing, OS X

meets my expectation. My "standard" is that Windows do a restart in under 1 min flat. From restart command to welcome screen in 1min.

After login, little or no waiting for desktop to launch. Start menu immediately responsive upon login. OS X can match that on the M1210.

If I don't remember wrongly on the XPS M1210 it attach via USB. By the way, thanks for the

wireless driver advise. Rock On.

The best performance is from OS X 10.4.3 on VMware, but there were 2 builds, 8F1099 and 8F1111, the first is faster than the second.

I kept this installation across my native OSes and Rigs, it is handful to correct some things on native hardrive when something went wrong.

I dont use it much, I prefer Native.

In my case OS X is ready to run in 30 to 40 seconds, Vista about 1 minute, fortunately Sleep works fine on Vista so I can work realy fast if I left the XPS slept, almost like my PowerBook that it is faster on wake and run, Vista needs somethign that needs read from disk, PB don't.

The thing about get rid of vista (well not completely) is that sometimes I lost the wireless signal at the office, then for a extrange reason Vista can not longer find any Wireless signal, that does not happen on OS X. Is also a pain that sometimes Vista is not very reponsive, you click on a menu or a program and for moments nothing happens, also Viruses and Spyware is a Nightmare.

In my case the limitation on Software for Mac OS X is not an issue, I dont't really need any software that does not exist for OS X., and if I need it, I run it on Fusion.

The Graphics is working to Full 1280x800 on Integrated Display, although iQE/CI is not enable is very fast, VMware and other Video programs like EyeTV works well, I tested EyeTV in HD TV it has some stuttering, I think QE/CI could increase speed a lot.

I don't think Leopard could release a compatible driver for Intel Wireless cards, only if any of MacBook, MackBook Pro, Mac Mini or iMac will have that card Apple would develop that driver.

I was able to get it installed, however when it reboots into the Darwin boot manager it shows my three partitions, one a system partition from dell the second vista and the third osx.

When I choose to boot from os x nothing happens but a flash of text that goes away. It says something about a .plist. Too fast to read though.

You had mentioned something about a trick when you boot into the OS. IS that something I should be doing or is there a specific command line?

Thanks in advance!

at prompt of bootaloader hit F8 and type -s or -s -x

-s let you boot in Single user mode to see what's happening.

-x let you boot in Safe mode, so not all drivers are loaded.

-s -x is a combination of both.

at prompt of bootaloader hit F8 and type -s or -s -x

-s let you boot in Single user mode to see what's happening.

-x let you boot in Safe mode, so not all drivers are loaded.

-s -x is a combination of both.

Hi MacGirl, thanks for the quick response. I tried those switches with no luck. But I do have an error message that may help us out here. This is what I get:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[Library.Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com/apple.lre.boot.plist] from 42302c0

Setting boot-uuid to: 5bd97f06-fc3a-3fd7-8a5f-e4404

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

blindspot: did you install with Jas DVD or uphuck? I think that th uphuck does not install the kexts for the ICH8

khull, no I could ran Kunbuntu Live CD, it uses the ALSA driver that gives you sound on the speakers and detetcts if you plug a headphone, I think someone could loot at the ALSA driver and see if a patch could be done to get sund on the speakers.

The dump of core#0 with the latest Kubuntu gives another sound port that I think is the digital output, but I cannot test it until I figure how to connect the HDMI to my Home Theatre (Digital receiver).