*** GeForce 8800 G80 ONLY - Easy Installer & Tutorial ***

mac.nub

316 posts in this topic

Yesterday my new Gigabyte P35-DS4 Rev 2.0 finally arrived, so I startet a new 10.4.10 installation (Kernel 8.10.1) and everything worked fine.

Then I used the latest EasyInstaller selected 320MB installed, rebooted.

OS X startet and CoreImage, QE is supported!! :D

But Vram size shows me 256MB :D

Any idea? What could be the reason for this?

kejkz - Surely removing NVDAResman.kext would disable CI/QE as it is a pre-requsite for GeForce.kext - have you tried using the method shown here (read my response to ampersAnd) to set your resolution?

Fabri - Yes, that's normal, gotoh set it to recognise other cards, even when not supported.

Vimes - np, hope it all works properly for you soon, whenever gotoh next updates the kexts, obviously I'll be updating the installer!

IkariGend - Are you sure you selected the correct memory amount from the installer? - Someone else mentioned that they also had the wrong amount shown in the profiler after install... what does it say when you run OpenGl Extensions Viewer for VRAM, sometimes only the correct ammount is displayed in that?

~mac.nub

@mac.nub

hello ;)

first: i installed Jas 10.4.8 then while booting i got a kernel panic NVDAResman.kext....so i boot with -s -v an removed the NVDAResman.kext....after that i can boot into OSX!

then i installed the 10.4.9 update maually without updating the kernel.....after that during boot i get the same kernel panic "NVDAResman.kext

" .....so the same story: boot with -s -v and removed that NVDAResman.kext....now booting is ok!

then i installed the NVinject with the installer 10c....after restart i get again the kernel panic "NVDAResman.kext"....so i removed it again in "-s -v" mode....

now the system is booting....and the system profiler shows: 8800GTS , 640MB but "QE,CI" are not enabled...also i cant change the resolution!

you know what the problem is? so you see "NVDAResman.kext" causes the problems before and after doing the NVinject installer!

please help.....

thanks

cacak333

p.s i have the nvidia 680i chipset....should i have to choose the "amd/nforce fix" or only "8800 640m" in the installer ????

@Meganus

yea i think 10.4.9-10 is the only way to get it working.....no need to update the kernel!

about leopard i dindt know....

but update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 without kernel is very easy....when u back up your kext....you dont have to worry!

there is a tutorial for that!

kejkz - Surely removing NVDAResman.kext would disable CI/QE as it is a pre-requsite for GeForce.kext - have you tried using the method shown here (read my response to ampersAnd) to set your resolution?

Hm, nice idea, I'll post my results...

update: unfortunatelly, same thing happens... resolution swotches back to 1152x870@75hz, without possibility to select any other...

@Meganus

yea i think 10.4.9-10 is the only way to get it working.....no need to update the kernel!

about leopard i dindt know....

but update from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 without kernel is very easy....when u back up your kext....you dont have to worry!

there is a tutorial for that!

nice.. I am not very good at seaching.. sorry :( Can you _please_ give me a direct link to a nice tutorial for updating the OS ? :o

cacak333 - You should be using both amd/nforce fix and 8800 640m, if you don't you get the kernel panic you described :o I had that problem too origionally (damn nForce 650 SLi chipset...), also you may need the 8.9.1 (OS X 10.4.9 kernel) but I am not sure about that... as i've never needed to use previous kernels on newer releases!

Megnus - I don't know to be honest, it may work on 10.4.8, but I have never tried it on 10.4.8... so I can't say it definately will or won't. All I will say is the MacBook Pro update included in the installer, Apple said was for 10.4.9 or higher... as I said, it's worth trying to see if it does. As for Leopard, i've not tried any of the Leopard betas, so I have no idea. It is unlikely I would have thought though... though would probably work by manually editing kexts in Leopard.

Nicam - gotoh will be working on that as soon as his card arrives!

~mac.nub

cacak333 - You should be using both amd/nforce fix and 8800 640m, if you don't you get the kernel panic you described :D I had that problem too origionally (damn nForce 650 SLi chipset...), also you may need the 8.9.1 (OS X 10.4.9 kernel) but I am not sure about that... as i've never needed to use previous kernels on newer releases!

thanks for respond.....

so i have to install both (nforce fix and 8800gts 640) at the same time....i mean i have to make 2 clicks in the installer? or do you mean to test both...one by one?

for the kernel update to 8.9.1.....i have tried it but the system hangs (reboots), even i cant boot with -v because it reboots before it loads the kext.....at the time when the letters sroll fast...i think the last i can see is something about "system" then the system reboots.....now with kernel 8.8.1 and 10.4.9 it boots ok!

maybe you know this problem?

TylerAfx - What motherboard are you using? 8.10.1 is OK for me, you don't need it though, 10.4.10 can easily be used with the 8.9.1 kernel.

cacak333 - nForce fix and 8800gts 640 both at the same time, so yes two clicks on the installer.

Before you can load mac again you will have to remove the GeForce kext... to do this do the following:

Reboot into single user mode (press a button on the boot loader to enter boot options, and type -s) and then remove GeForce.kext by doing the typing the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext
reboot

~mac.nub

i have a 8800 gts 640 mb and it not working for me on 10.4.10. im using the 8.10.1 kernal. should i install the 8.9.1 kernal? when i boot up i get a black screen during the osx start up. i dont know what to do so please help me.

also if i hot plug u get a blue screen then if i do that again i get the start of the desktop but nothing works and it never really loads(i think is freezes or something).

thanks in advance