iMovie '08 - panasonic HDC-SD5 - quits on startup - AVCHD

joelones

40 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...
Ok finally some good news...

I got iMovie'08 to import AVCHD footage provided that the following requirements are met

1) You have a Panasonic HDC-SD5 with the bundled DVD burner

2) You have installed iMovie'08 and have updated to 7.1

3) You have installed Leopard (I have had success with BrazilMac's patches)

Don't know why this didn't occur to me sooner...

You must first backup your footage to a DVD using the bundled DVD burner. Once done, you can insert the disc into your drive and fire up iMovie. It will detect your disc as a digital camera and prompt you with the import window which will allow you to import individual clips or all clips at once. The reason why you require Leopard is simple. The bundled DVD burns your discs using the UDF file system which Leopard supports and Tiger does not. So there you have it. I don't mind burning my footage to DVD first before importing, actually I think that it's the perfect workflow to get going. You will always have your raw AVCHD footage archived for preservation.

The mere fact that the importing works with a AVCHD DVD rather then with an SD / USB / Disc Image may signal a low level driver issue.

I have not tried Final Cut Pro Log and Transfer as of yet.

Update: Great news! SD / USB / Disc Image importing now with iMovie '08 with Leopard and the pc-efi patch!

Update: Super news! Final Cut Pro Log and Transfer works too!

Update Nov.16th: Final Cut Pro now imports AVCHD footage from HDC-SD5 at the correct aspect ratio, no longer at 2560x1080. Must update FCP 6.0.2.

Cheers!

I have the Panasonic SDR-H40 and regularly "back up" the HDD via USB using Disk Utility and making a DMG image of the camcorder HDD. It is a relatively quick process and may be a workaround burning the DVD since you can later mount the DMG.

Unfortunately, I am not able to import my clips directly since I need the TIME/DATE stamp on all of my video. I have to import the analog video "old school" through a capture appliance. ;)

Now, if someone can direct me to an app or plugin that can read the metadata time/date from the file and imbed the time/date into the video or subtitle it, I am all ears!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

iMovie starts up fine with my setup and Kalyway 10.5.2 but but the screen that is supposed to pop up so I can import files from my video camera doesn't come up. I'm not sure if it is because of the program or if my firewire port isn't working. In the system profiler, my Fireworks port does show up. Any clue? Thanks.

• 1 month later...
I have the same issue and I think I know what the error is!

Your graphics cards are not compatible with iMovie.

Hope this fixes your problems!

Machead.

Well its nothing to do with the video card... it took me a few hours to trace the problem and the fix. I am using Kalaway 10.5.2 - full up to date on iMovie - all you need to do is install the latest AppleSMBIOS and reboot - AVCHD import works perfectly. You can get details of the download and install here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...101902&st=0

Happy filming... -_-

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello,

I'm actually fighting with the same Problem in ideneb 10.5.6

I'm using a Canon HF10 and a P5Q-E Motherboard. I've tested the system for a couple of days now and everything works fine, iMovie 09, Final Cut,...

But when I connect my HF10 and try to import with either FC oder iMovie the application just closes. I don't want to mess with the system since I followed a manual and am pretty new to osx86.

I have PC EFI V9 installed but still the same error. Will this AppleSMBIOS work with 10.5.6 as well? If so, were can I find a manual to install it? I searched the forum but couldn't find a Step by Step guide and I'm afraid to ruin my system since it's finally stable.

Thanks a lot for your support

Jan

on smbios fix the import form my sony hdr-sr1 camcorder . but now when i try to share export the the movie from imovie to idvd. hd or quicktime.imovie quits

i check the temp folder that imovie store its temp file when processing the movie which is in hidden folder in /private/var/folders/ug/ug-80nb0fpeh/-tmp-. i notice that it always quit when the file size reaches 785MB and 853.7MB

help

• 1 month later...

AppleSMBios fix worked for me. My camera is an Cannon HG10 and I'd tried everything, system updates, program updates, drivers... Final cut 6.0.4 would always quit when I'd go to log and transfer with the camera plugged in. Installing the AppleSMBios.kext 28 fixed the problem, and so far I have no other side-effects. As far as I can tell final cut works as good as ever, and it's soooooo much better to cut film rather than having to convert everything first.

• 1 month later...

AppleSMBIOS 28 worked for me with my Canon HG20. Had before the same crash with iMovie and FCE...

I have to select while Log and Transfer the Apple intermediate codec, else the import will just idle out. Will have to check why this is. I just got this cam today and I'm playing for the first time with imports into FCE ;-)

Thanks for the tip with this kext

• 1 month later...

hey guys have u tried snow leopard? i had working 1.5.8 leopard, avchd importing via Log & transfer in FCP 6 was fine but i can't get it working on snow leopard :/ any ideas? i tried to search everything but there's nothing about this problem i could find.

• 6 months later...
hey guys have u tried snow leopard? i had working 1.5.8 leopard, avchd importing via Log & transfer in FCP 6 was fine but i can't get it working on snow leopard :/ any ideas? i tried to search everything but there's nothing about this problem i could find.

Does it - "just sit there?" with an empty Log and Transfer window without thumbnails? If so, wait about 10 minutes, and do something else, it should finally source the card. If not, and FCP 6 crashes out with exit code -1 - complaining about :/options and AVCHD.RADPlug then you need to inspect all your logs about :/options problems.

Is it at all possible for you to provide details of your motherboard, CPU and OS X 10.5.8 kernel/kexts/DSDT info where you had it working "instantly"?

Also check this thread - I've added information about extracting and replacing AVCHD.RADPlug components.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=189808