• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,900 posts
http://www.osxbook.c.../chapter10/tpm/

For anyone who still beleives this myth.

lord_muad_dib

lord_muad_dib

InsanelyMacaholic

• Retired
  • 3,398 posts
old news, but is good to be remembered

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts
Its news to most users on this forum who claim that os x wont work because of tpm, and that the kernel is hacked to remove tpm support and other rubbish like that. Thanks munky, maybe you could sticky it in the osx86/ homebrew section?

U.C.

U.C.

The Leopard Roars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Interests:Everything Apple, Computers, Movies
What!!!

You fakers, Maxxus, Semthex and all of you claiming to have hacked the kernel and what not.

:angel:

Not Really. I had read this before, while doing research, but I didnot really believe it.

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
Its true, the only thing needed to hack a kernel for a core 2 duo system is remove efi (about 1 or 2 nops) and hardcode the fsb (another 1 or 2 nops)

Cyman

Cyman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Maybe the final version will feature TPM. I still believe that Apple has a surprise for all the OSX86 users. If I am right, we'll see how long it takes until hackers can bypass Apple's measures to prevent Leopard from installing on non-Apple hardware...

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
no it wont, the newer macs have no tpm chip. tiger hasnt used it ever. leopard has never used it. And never will

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
so what were the issues with appletpmacpi.kext in 10.4.1 all about, then?

Kiko

Kiko

You Dont Understand Me

• Members
  • 2,889 posts
it checked to see if the hardware was there iirc, considering 10.4.1 was only intended for the DTK machines, and considering it was just a standard 915 board, apple had to introduce at least some checks, but no cryptography was being done through the TPM chip, just a check (i may be wrong, as i havent had much hands on with 10.4.1) Also, 10.4.1 was internal Beta, whereas the later builds 10.4.4 etc were released into the public with real macs

Dr. Hurt

Dr. Hurt

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts
  • Interests:Wandering around on the internet!! Politics, Sci/Tech, Medicine.
Then what is the function of decrypts, rXdX and all that stuff?

munky

munky

Agent of Evolution

• Retired
  • 2,900 posts
OSX binaries are encrypted, but not using the TPM.

frizbot

frizbot

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Supposedly there may be this to contend with as well-
http://www.macrumors...ghting-patents/

"The other filing, patent application #20070288886, deals with attempts to fight software piracy.

A digital rights management system permits an application owner to cause code to be injected into the application's run-time instruction stream so as to restrict execution of that application to specific hardware platforms. In a first phase, an authorizing entity (e.g., an application owner or platform manufacturer) authorizes one or more applications to execute on a given hardware platform. Later, during application run-time, code is injected that performs periodic checks are made to determine if the application continues to run on the previously authorized hardware platform. If a periodic check fails, at least part of the application's execution string is terminated--effectively rendering the application non-usable. The periodic check is transparent to the user and difficult to circumvent.
"

Their link doesn't work for me.

rossby

rossby

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

http://www.osxbook.c.../chapter10/tpm/

For anyone who still beleives this myth.

Did OS X use the TPM at one time to prevent the OS from loading?

Hagar

Hagar

Project Dogsbody

• Administrators
  • 2,352 posts
I believe the original intel developer transition kit that ran 10.4.1 - 10.4.3 (before the launch of the real intel macs) checked for the presence of a TPM.

hecker

hecker

InsanelyMacaholic

• Members
  • 2,669 posts
I actually didn't know this for sure. But it's nice. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. :P

bofors

bofors

ConvertIt2Mac.com

• Members
  • 3,462 posts

I believe the original intel developer transition kit that ran 10.4.1 - 10.4.3 (before the launch of the real intel macs) checked for the presence of a TPM.

This is what I remember as well.

thx4dat

thx4dat

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Maybe the final version will feature TPM. I still believe that Apple has a surprise for all the OSX86 users. If I am right, we'll see how long it takes until hackers can bypass Apple's measures to prevent Leopard from installing on non-Apple hardware...

maybe ApL pays people to lurk in this awesome forum taking notes from all the smart people, only to run back and tell their team leader at headquarters (in hopes of some bonus, or promotion, like maybe free jelly donuts in the cafeteria or some energy drink)what the evil OSx86 are doing :D ..... er ..... :)

Seriously, the creators of the keystone components of doze and Apple, DOS and BSD, did they get anything? Even credit? I imagine this: a handfull of bright students working for fun, and maybe some school credit developing, naively smiling, then putting their work in the hand of their proud professor, who looks upon them with fatherly favor, while in his other hand he hands the intellectual material to the highest bidder, who then slaps a copyright on it and calls it theirs.

Sorry I got carried away, :P I started out wanting to say that I don't know how a corp can claim ownership to something that they didn't make originally. And then not have some sort of co-operation with the community of users. Or, maybe I am wrong and there are cooperations on some level. I don't know I am not an insider. Or maybe "successful rich" people are just cleaver thieves that steal from the people who are to busy actually doing something to realize that they are being stollen from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy