Maxxuss Tuning for 10.4.3 8F1111/8F1111A

maxxuss

32 posts in this topic

I have prepared a new package for tuning a 8F1111 or 8F1111A system. The page also contains useful settings for VMWare and some background information. Have a look:

EDIT: Removed content violating DMCA

Please let me know if it worked for you, too.

Edited by Metrogirl

will this tuning patch also work on a native install off 8f1111 or is it only helful for users running vmware.

It would not harm. The CoreGraphics patch allocates 16 MB for system usage in advances, so you would have about 10 or 12 MB fewer free RAM.

The patch and the tool could speed up your system, if you have you have a low to medium-speed CPU or slow RAM access times (typically found in notebooks).

just to report back, the tuning patch did not go too well on my system, i had to get on another comp to post this. the problem is after the gray apple logo, all i get is a solid blue screen and nothing afterwards, it just sits at the blue screen, tried rebooting several time and still the same.

i installed both of the packages in the tuning zipped file.

my system is a p4 3.0ghz, 1 gig ram, intel 915gav mobo was running 8f1111 native install. anyway i can recover without reinstall?

Seems to work ok for me...XBench scores are inconsistent, but looks like a 10-15% improvement, greatest up-tick is in "User Interface Test". System seems a bit snappier in use.

My system is a P4 3.0ghz, 2MB Cache, 2 gig ram, EIDE HDD, Intel D915GAG Motherboard, GMA900 Video w/Dell DVI adapter to a Dell 2405FPW @ 1920by1200/60Hz.

System was (and is) running 10.4.3/8F1111a/g native.

Thank you Maxxuss for your terrific work, and all the best with whatever Apple announces on Tuesday!

:hysterical:

G

Edited by guilliamo

just to report back, the tuning patch did not go too well on my system, i had to get on another comp to post this. the problem is after the gray apple logo, all i get is a solid blue screen and nothing afterwards, it just sits at the blue screen, tried rebooting several time and still the same.

i installed both of the packages in the tuning zipped file.

my system is a p4 3.0ghz, 1 gig ram, intel 915gav mobo was running 8f1111 native install. anyway i can recover without reinstall?

First of all, boot with -v option and see where it hangs.

To uninstall the CoreGraphics patch, do this:

- boot with -s

- At the command prompt, type:

fsck -y
mount -uw /

- Then:

cd /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/ Versions/A
ls -la

- You should see a CoreGraphics and a CoreGraphics.original file. Compare sizes and permissions - they should not differ. To undo the patch:

mv CoreGraphics CoreGraphics.patched
mv CoreGraphics.original CoreGraphics

- Reboot

To uninstall the Maxxuss KernelCtrl, do this:

- boot with -s

- At the command prompt, type:

fsck -y
mount -uw /

- Then:

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Maxxuss_KernelCtrl.kext
rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/maxxuss.sw.kernelctrl.plist
rm /usr/sbin/maxxuss_ctrl

- Reboot

Edited by maxxuss

Seems to work ok for me...XBench scores are inconsistent, but looks like a 10-15% improvement, greatest up-tick is in "User Interface Test". System seems a bit snappier in use.

My system is a P4 3.0ghz, 2MB Cache, 2 gig ram, EIDE HDD, Intel D915GAG Motherboard, GMA900 Video w/Dell DVI adapter to a Dell 2405FPW @ 1920by1200/60Hz.

System was (and is) running 10.4.3/8F1111a/g native.

Thank you Maxxuss for your terrific work, and all the best with whatever Apple announces on Tuesday!

:hysterical:

G

hi guilliamo,

my system is almost exactly like yours, except i only have 1 gig ram and the board is also an intel but d915gavl model. i also have a 2mb l2 cache, with gma900 running 1920x1200 on my cinema display. i guess the only difference is that mines was just 8f111, i dont think it was a A or G though. anything you did diferently other than just unzip and click on install?? i can't seem to get into single user mode using -s. i'm using apple pro keyboard. am i SOL???? i don gt it.

Thank you maxxuss for the wealth of information, which by the way, i'm still trying to digest. The results i'm posting will prolly help some people and to store as a marker for furthure test results :(.

GUI is a bit sluggish, most probably due to screen redraw slowing down. The good news this is that mouse tearing if VERY minimal.

At the boot promt with using the fn=X, is it fn=X or -fn=X? In the boot.plist, is it with or without the "-"? I just want to make sure.

This time, I decided to exclude the fn=X switches and also removed the Maxxuss KernelCtrl v1.0 patches. GUI speed was hardly noticable. The mouse tearing was back in full force. I decided to boot with Maxxuss KernelCtrl v1.0 just for the mouse issue. This method greatly affects opengl, quartz graphics, and user interface. So if you play games, you should not use my method. Some tests I have conducted with watching divx, mpeg, and full dvd movies are not affected.

hi guilliamo,

my system is almost exactly like yours, except i only have 1 gig ram and the board is also an intel but d915gavl model. i also have a 2mb l2 cache, with gma900 running 1920x1200 on my cinema display. i guess the only difference is that mines was just 8f111, i dont think it was a A or G though. anything you did diferently other than just unzip and click on install?? i can't seem to get into single user mode using -s. i'm using apple pro keyboard. am i SOL???? i don gt it.

linuxfoo: Let's see:

IEDIT: Removed content violating DMCA Yes, for this latest patch, I just unzipped and installed and rebooted.

Have you gotten into the Apple boot options screen before ? If you can get as far as the Apple boot screen, you should be able to get to the Apple boot options screen by tapping "F8" when re-booting...before the Apple boot (splash) screen appears.

Lastly, if all else fails & you installed 8F1111 from a boot DVD, you can just reboot from that DVD and select an "Archive and Install" installation and not lose any of your files or settings.

Hope this helps!

:D

G

Edited by Metrogirl

Experience with VMware Installation:

It didn't very well on my VMware 8f1111a kernel 4.2b using JaS' PPF. I followed the instructions to the T. Attched are both images in normal boot and booting in safemode.

Normal:

normal9mm.th.png

Safemode:

xmode7xh.th.png

Troubleshooting:

Step 1: Results from uninstalling the Maxxuss KernelCtrl:

Can not boot into GUI. Lots of disk activity and waited for 1 minute. Disk activity stopped but cursor is visable but still no GUI.

Step 2: Results from uninstalling the Maxxuss CoreGraphics patch:

Successfull boot into GUI

Step 3: Install only Maxxuss KernelCtrl

Successfull boot into GUI

Overall experience without Maxxuss CoreGraphics Patch:

Dragging windows and effects are very fluid, a very enjoyable experience. The UI is a bit sluggish though.

thanks for your reply guilliamo,

i tried the 8f1111a/g before but had to roll back to 8f1111 because Dreamweaver 8 was acting weired on 8f1111a/g most noteably the font selection would get corrupted and scrolling fonts up and down would make them unreadable.

when i tried the new maxxuss tune patch, i was able to get the darwin boot prompt and then it would go to the gray apple logo then stuck at blue screen with no mouse. i tried command-s but wasn't able to get into single user during the boot process, however, i didn't try F8.

the system is back up now, i had a backup usb drive, i booted off of that and then changed the files back on my original HD. thanks for all your help.

I have a most bizarre experience when trying to run this patch.

The coregraphics patch causes my machine to appear to boot normally, but before it even gets to the blue screen it freezes...except that I have a mouse cursor which works! So I've got all of the verbose output in the background, but with a mouse cursor floating above it...lol.

Needless to say I uninstalled the Coregraphics patch, and went ahead with just the kernelctrl.

The coregraphics patch causes my machine to appear to boot normally, but before it even gets to the blue screen it freezes...except that I have a mouse cursor which works! So I've got all of the verbose output in the background, but with a mouse cursor floating above it...lol.

It might be the same problem as others have encountered. Please look at http://win2osx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=19275#post19275

There's a new patched CoreGraphics for testing.

Edited by maxxuss

No such luck maxxuss. I get the same results as the normal boot image I attached on post #11. I wish I can give you an error message, but that's really all I see. Oh, and also the cursor.

And if not, there are two things which would help:

- your file /var/log/system.log

- Using the original CG, boot into the GUI, open the terminal. Use "top" to find the PID of WindowServer. Then use "vmmap [PID] >textfile" to output VM mappings into textfile (replace [PID] by the process id that you got from top). The textfile would be helpful.

I'll post this as soon as I can revert back to the orig CG.

Edited by domino

No such luck maxxuss. I get the same results as the normal boot image I attached on post #11. I wish I can give you an error message, but that's really all I see. Oh, and also the cursor.

I'll post this as soon as I can revert back to the orig CG.

Thanks a lot!

However, I found another potential problem. I'll prepare a fix and post a link asap.

LOL. Damn, it wasn't hard to revert back to the original CG. The problem is that i'm running Tiger vmware in linux and I don't have Linux set up to sharing any rescources. I tried to log into this site using safari in Tiger and lept crashing. I had to upload the log to a fileserver, redownload and attach. How fun!

btw, I also included the Safari crashes.

Archive.zip

Maxxuss, i'll post the VM mappings when safari stops misbehaving. I could only post the one attchment. Now safari doesn't want to load any sites. dermit...

Edited by domino

[8f1111.iso + JaS_4.2b + Tuning Package v1.0 (CoreGraphics+ KernelCtrl)] (by xtraa`way)

1) vmware5.5.1

vmware5518f1111atuning1f9ut.th.jpg

2) PC

Jan 10 11:20:35 kextd[27]: cannot resolve dependencies for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

l

display : vram [e0000000:10000000]

(then, it hangs.)

----------

( MacDrive6.7 )

vmware5518f1111atuning1g8bl.th.jpg

I deleted "CoreGraphics+ KernelCtrl" by MacDrive6.7 because of not using the SingleMode on Vmware.

( didn`t try it on PC) Then, I could go to the 8f1111a.

When I went to the 8f1111a on PC after editing it by MacDrive6.7, my computer was shutdowned in front of the grey apple "of itself" in 3m or so. Then, I could go to 8f1111a.

- domino and I almost have the same experiences.

Edited by chival4ry

thanks maxxuss....updated to v1.1 and no more problems at boot. Also got a few extra points in Xbench, especially in the interface test. Thanks!

Edited by suleiman

Thanks for the update :cool:. I have some bad issues with Safari and Shiira crashing on normal pages. Is there anything we can do to reduce or eliminate this problem? Native install is fine. The crashing occures in VMware 5.5.1 build-19175. I set my memory to 376mb.

Edited by domino