Web Browser Loading Time

10 posts in this topic

OK,

I'm relatively new to the Mac Universe. I've tried several web browsers for OS X, Safari, Opera, Camino, and Firefox, and for some reason they all render web pages rather slowly compared to a Windows based machine running Vista with Firefox and Explorer on the same network. Are there some settings that need to be tweaked? It happens using both wireless-g and wired network connections.

Thanks,

Dave

MacBook2,1

OS X 10.4.10

Qwest DSL

Go to websites with less images.

Wow! I never thought of that. Smart :) !

Knowing that Unix-like OSs are a lot more robust than Windows ever hoped on being, I broke down and took a page from my Windows tweaking days. I figured if it works in Windows, it should do as well in OS X. I just put in the DSN server addresses directly in the network setup. The Windows based machines on this network don't seem to need it and they still work just fine. I thought the router did all that. Seems silly this MacBook would... oh well. It finally works as one might expect. No more waiting on the web pages to start loading. :D

My question would now be, if this MacBook were ever to connect through a different ISP, would the user have to delete these DSN addresses in the network setup that are specific to this ISP? Yes, I'm a little vague on certain aspects of the technology. :P

Thanks,

Dave

Thanks for the interest.

Sorry I didn't make it clear. It was actually a DSN server issue. The Windows based machines on this network seem fine having the router take care of it... the lonely Mac, however, really experienced delays. I just entered the DSN server addresses directly into the network setup and now it's just fine.

Does anyone know why there would be such a difference?

Is IPv6 turned off in OS X?

Nope... I don't think so. At the bottom of the TCP/IP settings I am showing a IPv6 address and when I click "Configure Ipv6" it is set to "Automatically."

Maybe it has something to do with the network setup here? The DSL enabled phone line is connected to an Actiontec GT701-WG dsl modem/router provided by the ISP. Connected to that is a Linksys RT31P2 router provided by Vonage. There are 4 Windows based machines and 1 MacBook connected to the Linksys either directly or through a linksys network hub.

I'm not all that informed when it comes to router configuration. I set it up well over a year ago and about all I remember was having to google instructions to reconfigure the Linsys to act as... hmm.. a "gateway?" I don't know what the proper terminology is. Both routers have DHCP enabled. On the Actiontec, DNS is set to "dynamic" instead of "Static" with the address fields left blank. The Lynksys doesn't have an option so the address fields are just left blank. I am making the assumption that the "dynamic" setting in the Actiontec is some how querying that information from the ISP because the DNS addresses show up in the "status" screen of that router.

OK... did that make any sense?! I only understand it because I am looking at it.

The Windows machines never had a problem. I recently added a MacBook because my network at home is now all Mac. The idea was that it would come and go with me. In practice, the travel tote sits unused and it's basically become a docked desktop. Now that I have added the DNS server addresses directly into the MacBook's network settings, I am very pleased with its performance.

I'm just confused why Windows XP doesn't require me to add this information to get decent web response and OS X does. :(

• 5 weeks later...

The actiontec has issues with DNS. Like you found out osx has issues and takes a while to resolve unless you put in your ISP DNS address in the network config. On linux boxes the with this dsl modem, DNS never resolve, they just hange.