Why would we need Yellowbox, when we have GNUstep???

3 posts in this topic

Hi,

For everybody who is waiting for Yellowbox to be released:

Did you know that a very similair product already exists! It is called GNUstep. It is a library/api that essentially is Cocoa.

It runs on Windows, Linux, and of course MacOSX (x86 too so they say)

As well on other platforms. And it is totally open source!

It is based, like MacOSX on NEXTstep and OPENstep. The Nextstep company (and its unix based os) was taken over by Apple, and (with gui adaptations) became apple's OSX. Cocoa is mainly part of the renamed Nextstep.

GNUstep is the free software implementation of the NEXTstep specification. Later, most new Apple Cocoa extensions were added to GNUstep too. Since then it has matured with many contributions of Next/Apple loving developers.

So check it out!!! It also lives on www.gnustep.org

Have fun!!!!!!

No...it's OPENSTEP, which is actually quite different from Cocoa. Besides, Apple would want it to be official - Xcode could simply cross-compile to OSX Intel and PPC and Windows. With GNUstep one would have to manually recompile for Windows.

Alright. It is indeed OPENstep which GNUstep is compatible with.

Apple has little say in the matter because it is an *open source* project. Like *independent*.

Yes it is different from Cocoa, but I did not mean it was *exactly* the same, but I wanted to imply that it is *very similar* due to its common origin. And that later *Cocoa* extensions were added to GNUstep. GNUstep apps are *similar* to Cocoa apps. But you cannot load one in XCode and recompile with Cocoa. It takes a *little* adjustment of the program. However you could compile an GNUstep app in XCode using the GNUstep extensions.

I disagree: XCode cannot simply cross-compile Cocoa apps for Windows. Even with Yellowbox you need to recompile. Just like with GNUstep. GNUstep can even compile for most of the other *nixes and Linux while Yellowbox won't be able to, if it ever will be released at all...