New to Mac and very confused. Getting started, how?

rodluvan

78 posts in this topic

Rodluvan, see if this helps you:

Connect your Mac to your PC with a crossover cable. Then click on the blue Apple at the top left of the screen (on your Mac) and click on "System Preferences", click the "Sharing" icon. Place a check on "Windows Sharing". At the bottom of the window you will see some text - it should have this in it "\\%ip.address%\YourUsername" . Make a note of it!

Now on the PC side… go to Start > My Computer and right click. Look for "Map Network Drive" and click on it. Where it says "Folder:" type in "\\%ip.address%\YourUsername" without the quotes. It will ask for the password, type it in and then click "OK." Your Mac sharing folder should be "Users:%mac YourUsernameHere%" and now both computers should be able to communicate with each other :D

Thanks but a little to late. Everything is transfered now, and maybe tonight I'll be formating the ext. HD. Thank you again anyway.

By the way, do you use Quicksilver? Is it nice?

OK well maybe someone else with the same problem can use that information and be helped...

maybe tonight I'll be formating the ext. HD.

Don't forget to format it for the correct processor. If you have Intel then use GUID.

By the way, do you use Quicksilver? Is it nice?

No, I do not use quicksilver, but you can read about it here if you want.

Best of luck with the formating ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, two new questions:

1. WHAT is iTunes doing to my music files and..

2. WHY isn't HP Photosmart A516 printing anything even when I'm using the software that was (HP Photosmart Studio) provided with te printer?

Explanation for 1.

I love to have my computer "by the balls" that is, as paraphrased from Terminator 2, it's not doing anything I haven't given it explicit permission to do and it does not have default settings that does "stuff" automatically in this case sort my music in some sort of order that drives me mad. I.e. LEAVE MY MUSIC-FILES ALONE! It's quite all right if iTunes makes some sort of meta-archive from the original files _inside iTunes_ but it's not alright if it moves them about and changes their names! What if I change program or computer ARGHH?

It prints testpages and other stuff, but not my pictures (jpg)! It does not display any error message, just doesn't do anything when pressing "Print".

HELP!