New to Mac and very confused. Getting started, how?

rodluvan

78 posts in this topic

rodluvan: The Mac mouse acceleration curve is terrible and there's only one thing you can do about that: get a Microsoft mouse and use their mouse driver. I don't know if this trick works with other mice as well, or if the driver only works with Intellipoint mice. Anyway, this is a very cheap and very good mouse, more comfortable than the Mighty Mouse (a clear case of form over function). You can't scroll sideways, but that's not a very important feature, IMHO.

I don't know why the original Mac mouse is so freakin' slow. It makes the whole system feel sluggish. It's like maneuvering a drunken hobo. At first he's really slow and doesn't really know where he is, and then, all of a sudden, he aims for the liquer store and stumbles off at a great pace for a few meters before he loses control and crashes into a nearby trash can.

It's like maneuvering a drunken hobo. At first he's really slow and doesn't really know where he is, and then, all of a sudden, he aims for the liquer store and stumbles off at a great pace for a few meters before he loses control and crashes into a nearby trash can.

You, Sir, nailed it!

(however, after having installed iMouseFix it's just as slow all the way)

BTW-Rodluvan, did you get your ext. harddrive all sorted? :)

Thanks for asking, but sadly no. I'm doing it the hard way, via SD-cards. I guess it has something to do with the fact that I myself converted it to NTSF without formating it (I had stuff on it that I didn't want to delete). I Problably did something wrong.

Anyway, what's up with the might-mouse?? Sounds like most have this problem. Doesn't sound like a problem that schould take a lot of brainthrust do solve (I mean, if MS did it). I'll check out your link now.

I'm doing it the hard way, via SD-cards.

But you can't use your external hard like that forever can you? :) OSX can read NTFS partitions, but it can't write to them. If it's a Intel Mac then you need to format it as GUID. BTW-a few days ago I looked into your problem for you and it appears that others are having the same issue with WD ext-drives too. Have you contacted WD?

I had stuff on it that I didn't want to delete

Why can't you back up that stuff and just format the drive correctly?

Anyway, what's up with the might-mouse??

I don't know. Replacing the mouse is the first thing that I do when I get a new machine, so I never really use the Mac mice (or any mouse for that matter). Trackball all the way :D

Why can't you back up that stuff and just format the drive correctly?

He, that's what I'm doing! It's the only way I can transfer files, thats the problem. It's either SD-cards or burning a whole lot of cd's since no one here could help me connect my PC to the Mac which was my initial plan (transfer via network-cable). Now my plan is to transfer the files (lots of pictures) to the Mac, then format the external drive to whatever Mac wants and then, maybe, transfer the files from Mac to the ext. HD again (via USB this time). And then -of course- use the PC as paperweight.

What about the harddrive in the PC, would you be able to format it and use it? I'm just thinking out loud here...

I also seem to remember that there's a way to connect both machines together via a firewire cable, but I don't remember the specifics :blink: I think it was using the PC as a second ext drive as if it was a target drive...

What about the harddrive in the PC, would you be able to format it and use it? I'm just thinking out loud here...

I also seem to remember that there's a way to connect both machines together via a firewire cable, but I don't remember the specifics :blink: I think it was using the PC as a second ext drive as if it was a target drive...

If I format the PC to mac-form (?) I'll be standing there with two mac's and an external HD which none of the two computers can read. Talk about painting oneself into a corner :D

Well anyway, by the time I'm through with that adventure (which, knowing myself, I give about a 2% chance of succeeding at all), I'll be done with this for sure. Also; the PC doesn't have a firewire-slot.

OK, so much for that idea :D

I'm just trying to find you a faster way to do this... :blink:

BTW-do you have any backup software for your Mac yet? If not then I HIGHLY recommend using SuperDuper :D

OH HECK! I JUST REMEMBERED THAT I HAVE ANOTHER PORTABLE 80GB HD. THAT'D HAVE SAVED ME SOME FREGGIN TIME!

(sorry for the caps, but you can certainly understand why I'm upset)

Why is it HIGHLY recommended and why isn't it included in the OS then and what does that software do (do I burn essential data to backup media such as DVD's)?

Why is it HIGHLY recommended

Have used nearly every backup software for the Mac and this one by far works the best, plus it is very inexpensive. VERY simple to use too.

why isn't it included in the OS

Because he doesn't work for Apple :D

what does that software do?

The link should explain it in detail. You do backup your hard drive every day or two don't you? :blink::D

Have used nearly every backup software for the Mac and this one by far works the best, plus it is very inexpensive. VERY simple to use too.

Because he doesn't work for Apple :)

The link should explain it in detail. You do backup your hard drive every day or two don't you? :):P

But, but, but this is stuff I have to pay for... Is that really necessery?

That depends on how important the data on your computer is. If you can lose it then no, you don't need to back up your harddrive. But if it's important to you then you should do backups religiously. I promise you that you'll lose the data on your harddrive just once, and learn how important backing up is :)

If you plan on upgrading to Leopard you could just use Time Machine. MyMac8MyPC is right though, it's devastating to lose all of your pictures and music in the blink of an eye. I was lucky enough that when it happened to me I had stuff saved to disks and on another machine, but a good backup app would have made things so much easier.

If you plan on upgrading to Leopard you could just use Time Machine. MyMac8MyPC is right though, it's devastating to lose all of your pictures and music in the blink of an eye. I was lucky enough that when it happened to me I had stuff saved to disks and on another machine, but a good backup app would have made things so much easier.

But you guys sound as if this happens a lot in Macworld. I've been using computers daily since 1995 and it has never happend to me. Last time a HD really crashed was with my 20MB Amiga 600 and that was probably a mechanical failiure.

I've been using computers daily since 1995 and it has never happend to me.

Famous last words. LOL :D

We said the same thing once (we've been using computers since commodore 64 and still have a brand new one in the box). Never saw what all the fuss was about regarding backups. Then we learned the hard way about the importance of backing up, especially these days. We woke up one morning and tried to boot up our PC and everything was gone :( All I can say is if all of your data isn't worth a measly 27.95 - then by all means ignore backups. However, if you do ignore backing up your hard drive and it crashes just once, for whatever reason, you'll really wish you'd backed up your data... ^_^

Famous last words. LOL :D

We said the same thing once (we've been using computers since commodore 64 and still have a brand new one in the box). Never saw what all the fuss was about regarding backups. Then we learned the hard way about the importance of backing up, especially these days. We woke up one morning and tried to boot up our PC and everything was gone :( All I can say is if all of your data isn't worth a measly 27.95 - then by all means ignore backups. However, if you do ignore backing up your hard drive and it crashes just once, for whatever reason, you'll really wish you'd backed up your data... ^_^

Ofcourse you're right. It's not worth the risk. Only problem I'm having is getting my girlfriend to 'ok' another piece of hardware in our ever so tiny appartement. And the data is growing rapidly. In a coupple of month I'll need another drive and another..argh...

Btw, what do I get or 27.95?

It's not hardware so it will not take up any room :huh:

It's a program. You click on its icon, tell it what you want to back up, and click Copy Now. That's it you're done. Extremely easy.

Uh... If I want to back up like 250GB I guess I must have 250GB to spare and that in my world means a nother HD or other media.

And if I back-up 250GB each evening, would that take like forever or does it just back up the changes I've made during the day and keeps the rest from yesterday?

I must have 250GB to spare and that in my world means a nother HD

You have the hard drive in the Mac, and the ext. drive. That's two hard drives. You don't need anything else. It's just the way that you set them up or partition them.

if I back-up 250GB each evening, would that take like forever or does it just back up the changes I've made during the day ?

The very first time that you run the program it will take only an hour. This is for a 320 - 500 gig hard drive. After that it only needs to 'update' just the files that you've changed. Takes around 5-10 minutes to do that :)

Rodluvan, see if this helps you:

Connect your Mac to your PC with a crossover cable. Then click on the blue Apple at the top left of the screen (on your Mac) and click on “System Preferences”, click the “Sharing” icon. Place a check on “Windows Sharing”. At the bottom of the window you will see some text - it should have this in it “\\%ip.address%\YourUsername” . Make a note of it!

Now on the PC side… go to Start > My Computer and right click. Look for "Map Network Drive" and click on it. Where it says “Folder:” type in “\\%ip.address%\YourUsername” without the quotes. It will ask for the password, type it in and then click “OK.” Your Mac sharing folder should be “Users:%mac YourUsernameHere%” and now both computers should be able to communicate with each other :)