LCD Brightness

83 posts in this topic

The kext posted earlier in this thread makes the backlight work on my laptop (lifebook 7230), but when it wakes up from sleep, the backlight is totally off and I can barely make anything out.

How did you change the backlight?

You can setup a new profile in SystemPreferences / Display / Color - Calibrate!

I use the standard Adobe RGB(1998) one but if you set your own up you can reduce the GAMMA!

Its weird I had more than two different notebooks and all of them the LCD Brightness buttons still worked!?

SticMAN

Nope, there is no brightness option? Any more ideas?

Lucky... I loaded that kext, and I still cannot control my backlight.

Ugh... Yeah I know how you feel. I'm probably going to put the old kext back. I'd rather have working sleep than brightness. Such a pain to shutdown and reboot everytime.

I tried using configuring my laptop to use hibernate, but it keeps going into S3 sleep. :rolleyes:

You can setup a new profile in SystemPreferences / Display / Color - Calibrate!

I use the standard Adobe RGB(1998) one but if you set your own up you can reduce the GAMMA!

Its weird I had more than two different notebooks and all of them the LCD Brightness buttons still worked!?

SticMAN

Yes, that is an option as well as using a program such as Shades. However, neither of those will help increase the battery life and, I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell the difference between a dim screen and one that has just been shaded and the latter looks rather annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, that is an option as well as using a program such as Shades. However, neither of those will help increase the battery life and, I don't know about anyone else, but I can tell the difference between a dim screen and one that has just been shaded and the latter looks rather annoying.

I use shades but there is another just search google for brightness control 1.0.4

I tried using that kext for AIIFB-- as somebody posted it worked for their T60. I have an R61i which has the same chipset, but has the x3100 vs. the GMA950(pretty sure that is what it had). Nevertheless, that kext stops boot at the grey Apple screen. I tried booting in verbose mode with it, and it hangs when starting the Login Window.... not sure if it's the graphic card drivers that are the culprit here, or what. Anybody have a similar problem?

For me it worked in Leo4All 10.5.2 on a X60T with GMA950. I can control my backlight now like in any other OS :)

Thx for the help, guys. I'm really close to my fully working OSX60T :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

on my Thinkpad it works partialy when i hit Fn END it goes darker, Fn POS1 goes brighter, but i can adjust only a smal band.

Hit 3x Fn END screen goes darker 3 times. Hit 4X left screen side becomes black, hit 5x backlite off.

It seems funny to me.

The tools that are posted here are not controlling the backlight ,so they don't have a impact on battery life.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still have my original Windows XP system in the 2nd partition on hard disk, if I boot into Windows with onboard GMA945 chipset, and adjusted the backlight of the LCD from the Intel GMA driver management tool, shutdown the Windows and reboot into Mac OS, the backlight setting will been carried into if I use AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext version 1.4.18, this can have longer battery life. But it didn't work in AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext version 1.4.20. My laptop is Sony VAIO SZ28.