LCD Brightness

83 posts in this topic

Do the following:-

- Open the system preferences

- Select Display

- Click on the colors tab

- Select Adobe RGB profile

If it is still too bright, then select your monitor's profile and calibrate it.

Do the following:-

- Open the system preferences

- Select Display

- Click on the colors tab

- Select Adobe RGB profile

If it is still too bright, then select your monitor's profile and calibrate it.

That will make the screen darker, but will it help save my laptop's battery life? And I want to be able to change the brightness.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I might have found a solution without any use of third-party software :

(well it works on Toshiba L40 with mobo Intel 82945GM, Graphic GMA950, Koolkal 10.4.10 update on Jas 10.4.8)

Here is what I did :

- Check and install the last bios update from the Toshiba website (for my laptop = Bios 2.20)

(the update needs Windows or a Floppy disk , who uses this crappy stuff nowadays :( ?)

- Reboot and press F2 on "Toshiba" boot screen (enter the BIOS)

- Decrease (Fn + F6) or increase (Fn + F7) the brightness of the LCD panel

- Save and exit the BIOS and boot on the hard drive.

The grey apple boots with a lower brightness but the login screen might put it back to the higher level:

It seems that this is caused by AppleIntelIntegratedfFramebuffer.kext

I have replaced mine by the 1.4.18.6 version from 10.4.3

Do the usual chown, chmod, remove kextcache repairpermissions and reboot

Et voilà !!!

This trick is not wonderful, as you still need to reboot in the Bios everytime you want to change the LCD brightness, but at least it will save your battery life (about 75% more time with the lower brightness level !!!).

• 4 weeks later...

hi f1orent

interesting solution!

where did you find the 1.4.18.6 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ?

I checked the 1.4.3 update (both combo and normal) on the apple website, but the file is not in there....

thanks in advance

hi f1orent

interesting solution!

where did you find the 1.4.18.6 AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext ?

I checked the 1.4.3 update (both combo and normal) on the apple website, but the file is not in there....

thanks in advance

Hi Niko,

I think I found it on a previous 10.4.3 Install DVD. I can't remember exactly which because I keep a separate copy of every 10.4.x extensions, in a folder of my harddrive, for easier testing purpose.

You will find a copy of the kext here : http://rapidshare.com/files/82669658/AIIFBk.zip.html

Let me know if it works for you too.

Btw, I recently discovered that there is no need to enter the bios. The LCD brightness can be adjusted while the Toshiba Logo is still on screen. It does not let much time to adjust the brightness, but it is still faster than enter/exit the bios.

it work fine , I can now have a low brightness on osx , I only tried with my tiger partition yet I don't know if it work with leo .

I only set my brightness on windows and it work now the brigtbess doesn't increase during boot

I have a vaio sz ultra portable so i will now be able to use osx when i travel

it s great thanck you very much for that , I was looking for it for a long long time

but i thing I m not alone so it would be nice to share it in a new post

Hi MacVaio

I am glad it works for you too on both Tiger and Leo :(

Regarding a new post for that, I think that looking for "LCD brightness" will drive anyone to the current thread, so it is pretty easy for anybody to find it.

However, if you want to share it with other in a separate thread, feel free to do so.

f1orent,

you are a genius! thanks for finding this solution... I had basically given up on osx on my nc2400 due to poor battery life but I now have full control of the screen brightness in leopard and have far better batery life (still not great but then it isn't great in windows OR linux!)

Thanks again!!!

f1orent i replaced the kext with the one you provied, and now it wont seem to boot, it begins to boot up, and it stops booting. i now im stuckon the grey apple boot screen, and can move around the cursor.. im on leopard btw. how do i fix this?

got a core duo lappy sony vaio with intel intergrated

Hi Niko,

I think I found it on a previous 10.4.3 Install DVD. I can't remember exactly which because I keep a separate copy of every 10.4.x extensions, in a folder of my harddrive, for easier testing purpose.

You will find a copy of the kext here : http://rapidshare.com/files/82669658/AIIFBk.zip.html

Let me know if it works for you too.

Btw, I recently discovered that there is no need to enter the bios. The LCD brightness can be adjusted while the Toshiba Logo is still on screen. It does not let much time to adjust the brightness, but it is still faster than enter/exit the bios.

Hullo, I need the file, can you please upload it to somewhere else? (Like here?) I cannot download from that site for whatever reason.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
That will make the screen darker, but will it help save my laptop's battery life? And I want to be able to change the brightness.

Anything that darkens the screen will save battery life. in effect, if the full screen is darkened then the lcd backlight dims and uses less power.

"Only CRT displays use more energy to display brighter things. For everything else, it is completely false that a black display uses less energy than a white page. The backlight on an LCD is on for the entire LCD regardless of what is being shown. The black pixels are only black because the LCD blocks out light. Same with projectors, etc."

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...