LCD Brightness

83 posts in this topic

Is there anyway to change my laptop's lcd brightness? I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114, and when using OSX my battery dies quickly because of the brightness being all the way up. Is there any way to lower the brightness?

Fn+F6 or Fn+F7..... That's how I change my brightness. But in OS X that does nothing... Any other suggestions? Has anyone else gotten screen brightness in OS X?

May be different for yours, but on mine Fn and the down arrow decreases brightness, Fn and the up arrow to increases it.

~mac.nub

Just an idea but maybe set the brightness to the desired amount in Windows or some OS that works with that and then boot back into OS X.

gmodfan,

Stop tricking people into getting you a free iPhone with that Click here link in your sig.

No, has always worked out of the box for me.

I've the same issue.

Sony Vaio Vgn-n21s with GMA 950.

I can manage brightness in another OS but Mac ignores the hardware value and set brightness to the top. Someone does know how to adjust it?

Same for me on my Samsung r55 Aura Clayton. No Options for changing brithness in OSX. But during booting when the white screen with apple logo appears i can change brithness.

What's your OSX Version?

I have OS X 10.4.10. I also have Vista, and in Vista I needed to install a program from Toshiba to change my brightness. Besides OS X and Vista, I have Ubuntu installed, and in Ubuntu my brightness is also changable. Has anyone been able to change the brightness on a laptop in OS X?

Sorry to say black... But Shades does not help battery life. It uses a black overlay but the lcd brightness is always set to the top. This is the reason for having 1000 threads about lcd brightness not working.

The real problem is gma950. This driver is build for mac-mini, and mac-mini has not a laptop lcd....!

The AppleFrameBuffer seems to override the brightness value every sync.

We need a patch to gma950 and I actually am not able to write it. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to say black... But Shades does not help battery life. It uses a black overlay but the lcd brightness is always set to the top. This is the reason for having 1000 threads about lcd brightness not working.

The real problem is gma950. This driver is build for mac-mini, and mac-mini has not a laptop lcd....!

The AppleFrameBuffer seems to override the brightness value every sync.

We need a patch to gma950 and I actually am not able to write it. :(

There are only 1000 threads, because this problem has not been fixed... ='(

EDIT: Didn't MacBooks have the GMA 950?

It's NOT because of the GMA945 chipset, actually. It's because the driver only supports one profile of LCD panels. This could be changed by editing the AppleBacklight plist, but what's in there is unintelligable - so hacking it would be "fun". And don't bump topics waiting for other peoples help, keep hacking and adding things you find out yourself. What I just told you took 40 seconds to find out.

It's NOT because of the GMA945 chipset, actually. It's because the driver only supports one profile of LCD panels. This could be changed by editing the AppleBacklight plist, but what's in there is unintelligable - so hacking it would be "fun". And don't bump topics waiting for other peoples help, keep hacking and adding things you find out yourself. What I just told you took 40 seconds to find out.

Hmmm.... let's see what makes this Backlight plist tick :)