installing on external hard drive

tehsusenoh

66 posts in this topic

im going to get an external hard drive, but can i install OSX86 on it?

My computer is compatible but i dont know how to boot OSX from the external

the drive, i hope, will have firewire

will this hurt my windows installation?

i dont want to have a mulit-boot screen on startup...thanks

EDIT:oops, i forgot to check the wiki :o

just so u know, ill be using JaS 10.4.6 because thats the only one that seems to detect my ethernet

No, it won't give you any boot menu and it won't harm your Windows installation. When you want to boot OS X from the drive you just set teh BIOS to boot from USB drive first. Simple.

Here is a full guide with screenshots I made on how to install and boot OSx86 on an external USB drive. It should be pretty much the same procedure for FireWire drives as long as your BIOS supports booting from FireWire Devices.

http://######.com/software/osxusbnative.htm

If you haven't ordered your external drive yet, and if you want firewire, I'd really advise a drive that has both firewire and usb. Not all motherboards will allow you to boot from firewire, but most new ones will allow you to boot from USB. And if you want to boot from the external drive first, fewer bioses have a setting for that while most new ones have an option to allow USB external drives to boot first.

skip the firewire is what i will do and just install to usb

i just need to partition and install

i have absolutely no idea if my computer is compatible

i booted an uphuck 1.4i r2 dvd and it found my ethernet but i dont know anything about my video card

its a nvidia PCX 5300 GeForce PCI card that came with my medion computer

and will iLife 06 work well? i am a movie maker

Need full specs. The Uphuck 1.4ir2 only works with Intel computers. I am not certain but I think the only PCI video cards that are supported by OS X are the nVidia GeForce FX5200 and ATI Radeon 9250.

So I think iLife requires QE/CI so you won't be able to use iMovie, and those other apps with your current video card.

i just bought a simpletech 500gb hard drive that uses usb

my dad might return it though, even though my birthday is on the 15th. LOL

to answer your questions

1. my video card is QE capeable, i checked

2. My specs are:

-Intel P4 530 3.00gH SSE3

-nVIDIA GeForce 5300 PCX QE (i dont really know if it's PCI or PCIe)

-sony dvd+/-rw

-sony dvd-rom

-VIA VT6105 III Fast Ethernet Adapter

-C-Media Azalia Audio Device

-MSI MS-7046 (Medion OEM) mobo

-512 DDR RAM

EDIT: I looked online and it said that the video card was PCI-E

the bios on my computer are lied out really strangely. i found the boot order setting, but the only usb-related choices were usb-fdd and usb-cdrom. i dont think my computer supportes usb booting. i'll check again though. its a medion computer from 2004 or something. its the second oldest in the house. i've been trying to fix the hard drive for some time now...

might have to exchange it

EDIT: for the hdd question, diskpart wont partition it, nor will windoze find it in "my computer"

Check under Hard Disks in your BIOS, don't check under USB devices.

For the HDD, go into Mac OS X Disk Utility and format it in the MS-DOS File System (Something like that). Then it will be recognized by Windows.

under bios, the hard drive choices are only my internal hard drive.

i formated th disk to MS-DOS, buy the formated again to HFS (oops).

at this point i think I'll just get an internal that is sure to work. The boot menu will be quite annoying. My dad thinks i screwed up the computer with all my stuff, so he's getting a new one. I bet I'll get the computer for my birthday.

P.S.

What is the age limit for this forum?

yeah i'm almost that :( i really dont pay attention at all to the age limit. Some kids that are 10 use MySpace (i dont, its stupid). Plus the other billion 6-year-olds that use runescape.oh yeah, i fixed the drive. it's now at NTFS formating.

EDIT 1:My new plan is this:1. Install OSX86 on an internal 28.5 IDE hard drive that been sitting around in my closet for 2 years.2. Use the external for videos that i make in iMovie and for files from my windoze compyDoes OSX86 write to ntfs partitions? Then i wont have to use MacDrive (corrupted) or TransMac (old and barely usable). I remember reading a guide somewhere...Where can i find PascalW (u have it in your specs) and the Semthrex 8.8.1 kernel? I already have uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3. Plus i need some kexts from 10.4.6 for video card support.

EDIT 2: neat! I found my 10.4.6 install dvd! I can patch the video drivers! kewl!

OSx86 can write to NTFS using special software but its not recommended because it can corrupt your data. The PascalW updater can only update 10.4.9 to 10.4.10. Since you have 10.4.6 you need to use the koolkal 10.4.10 intel combo sse2 & sse3 V2 updater. You can find it on Demonoid. If you already have 10.4.9 however, you can use PascalW. Its available on torrent sites as:

10.4.10 Mac OS X update for hackintosh

im on my psp typing thisi'll be using 10.4.6 kexts to get my video card and ethernet workingwill be using 10.4.9 uphuck 1.4i r3 to actually install

one more thing. where did you get your computer? if you built it, where did u get the parts?

im installing 10.4.6 in vmware to get the needed files. I'll probably e-mail it to myself.

What kexts from 10.4.6 handle ethernet and video cards?

some guy on demonoid is giving me the files (i hope). his name is conjure1

Remind me again, why are you using drivers and patches from 10.4.6?P.S. My nerd score is 63 I tried that thing in your sig. So Low-Ranking nerd.Remind me again, why are you using drivers and patches from 10.4.6?P.S. My nerd score is 63 I tried that thing in your sig. So Low-Ranking nerd.