AVCHD editing whit fcp 6.0.1

Rudy1984

13 posts in this topic

after months of searching and searching finally i've found a tool that permit to use avchd files (like sony hdr-sr1 .m2ts) in final cut or ilife.

this tool convert using a 4 times more disk space than original files and transform them in .mov files whit no quality loss (as the author tell).

the program is named voltaic and there is a free demo download on http://www.mac1080hd.com/

for my configuration it work good and output files don't need to be rendered again into fcp

p.s. final cut pro can natively manage avhd m2ts files only on mac pro with intel xeon processors throught log and transfer application.

sorry for my bad english

Have you tried with FCP 6.01? hows the workflow is it slow from what I understand it has to log and transfer to ProRes is that in real time or faster? I've been thinking of getting one of the Sony with a Hard Disk either the SR5 or SR7.

fcp 6.0.1 is able to import .m2ts throught "log and transfer" utility ONLY on intel xeon.

Quoting Apple's system requirements for Final Cut Studio:

- AVCHD support is supported only with a Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon processor.

now (as i think) the software i've posted is the best way to work with sony's avchd files.

fcp 6.0.1 is able to import .m2ts throught "log and transfer" utility ONLY on intel xeon.

Quoting Apple's system requirements for Final Cut Studio:

- AVCHD support is supported only with a Mac Pro with an Intel Xeon processor.

now (as i think) the software i've posted is the best way to work with sony's avchd files.

Has anyone got AVCHD Log and Transfer to work on a non Xeon processor i.e.: Intel Core 2 duo???

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone got AVCHD Log and Transfer to work on a non Xeon processor i.e.: Intel Core 2 duo???

very interesting but it makes no business or marketing sense...AVCHD is a consumer format, and consumers usually have iMacs not Mac pros. There may be some opcode which is Xeon only, and triggers an illegal instruction trap on a C2D. I really don't think this is it as I've read posts on Apple support forums reporting success with a Macbook or iMac. Someone who reinstalled everything (including OS) from scratch, but didn't really understood what made the difference.

Very interesting indeed. It seems as though both FCP 6.0.1 and iMovie trigger the same crash on the hackintosh. Perhaps both apps call the same routine / api to do the conversion from AVCHD to AIC. I realize that over at the applie discussions many individuals are having similar crashes with iMovie but also cannot discount the fact that many more have gotten it work with a _real_ mac.

It has lead me to believe that the issue may be isolated to a particularity with the hackintosh?

I cannot be alone with experiencing this issue?

cloud9, are you experiencing the same problem?

Update: Nevermind I just saw your post to my other tread in this same forum. Thanks.

i also have the same problem. fcp 6.0.1 and imovie 7.1 crash as soon as they detected a mounted avchd clips. i'm using a sony hdr-ux5 which is a dvd-rw one and i believe it is not currently compatible with mac os x. but i made it to work with my macbook pro by first copying the bdmv folder off to a temp folder on a windows system, then on mac os x, using the disk utility i created a dmg image file with the same size as the bdmv folder. with the dmg image file still mounted, i copied the bdmv folder into it. after that, launched imovie and viola, it worked! but again only on the macbook pro. i tried the same trick with hackintosh with no luck. it always crashed. i also tried it on Leopard 9a581 without success. but on the lighter side i can still manage to edit all the avchd clips my macbook pro can capture on the hackintosh system! imovie on hackintosh imported all the avchd clips (but converted to a much bigger size) captured by macbook pro. it worked for me this way, at least for the moment... :(

i hope somebody will figure this out soon.

koaxial,

Thanks for your input.

I have tried what you describe by using the dmg method using a free tool called FreeDMG / and Disk Utility but unfortunately it does work on the hackintosh. I do not have a _real_ mac to try this on. As I suspected, reinforced by your post, the issue may in fact be hackinstosh related. Unfortunately I do not know how to pin point the exact thing that's crashing nor to start iMovie in debug mode to trace the crash. Perhaps someone with this know how can chime in?

We need some expert help on this. I really hope a solution presents itself soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
fcp 6.0.1 log & transfer now works and imovie 08 imports the avchd clips without crashing anymore! thanks! ;)

What OS Version are you using? System Specs, and also are you @ 6.0.1 or 6.0.3?

I believe apple suspended the 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 updates from all of their sites.

Please let me know, as I am struggling with a timeout issue with AVCHD and I want to hear from someone who has a known working configuration on 10.5.6/10.5.8 hackintosh, and whether issues are USB enumeration or Extra CPU (and CPU Bit-ness) via SMBIOS injection are the issues.

Thanks.