Will I get busted for this? Damn you Apple...

dyspm

23 posts in this topic

My Macbook died and Apple is not helping. They want nearly the half of the cash needed to buy a brand new macbook.

And I have a seperate ''PC'' which runs Mac OSX brilliantly, even faster with a slightly lower spec then my deceased macbook. It detects everything, I just need to install a kext for my graphics card and disable QE and CI as they have some problems with audio stuttering. And wireless isn't working too. Other than that, it is great.

I'm not affording to buy a new Macbook and I'm not getting that damn machine repaired either. I want to know, if it is illegal to ''use'' a hackintosh by some means. I regularly perform at stage with my computer so how will this cause a problem for me? Can someone give any insights about this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, Apple will be able to detect that your Macbook died and your now using a hackintosh and will come get you. ;)

They were refraining from locking you up because you had an actual Mac, but now that your using only a hackintosh it's time to put you away.

Seriously, your hackintosh is no more legal now than it was before your Macbook died, search the forum, your only about the 5 billionth person to ask such a rediculous question.

Dave, you got that wrong. What I ask has nothing to do with me actually owning a Apple hardware.

This is Apple Discussions forum so I wanted to write a bit of my frustration with apple hardware. I DO know that the legitimacy has nothing to do with me owning an actual ''dead'' Apple hardware somewhere.

It seems that it is you who is getting things ridiculously, sorry.

"I want to know, if it is illegal to ''use'' a hackintosh"

Of course it's illegal, as I said, search the forums, there's no need to have another thread about this. A newbie to any forum should ALWAYS search the forum to see if their question has been answered, yours has been discussed many times.

Dyspm, I don't know what your problem is, but Dave's response to your initial post was dead on. I've read your post several times and each time it sounds like you are asking if you are going to get busted for using a Hackintosh now that your MacBook has died. Even the thread title says that. What exactly were you asking if not this?

I was asking the legitimacy of using a hackintosh, not asking "I have an actual apple hardware which is dead so is this legal?" as Dave was seeing.

My post was about my frustration about Apple THEN asking about the legitimacy of an ordinary hackintosh.

And I got my answer, thanks. It would take 5 words for a answer "no it is not legal", instead we are wasting our time here.

Thanks anyways, seriously.

A quote from my first reply "Seriously, your hackintosh is no more legal now than it was before your Macbook died"

From my second post "Of course it's illegal"

I don't see how it could have been made any clearer, or why you would think that it would be a legitimate installation as Apple does not sell OSX for use on PC hardware.

We are wasting out time because you didn't read the sticky for new users, http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11517

which has suggestions common for ANY forum, not just this one, a primary one being "Research the problem BEFORE you post".

It's not our fault you failed to do ANY research before you posted, you would have quickly found your answer and there would be one less "is my hackintosh legal" post.

And as with most forums, there are always people that are more concerned with being right(oh taht ego thing) and flaming people than helping people.

If you think that I'm a forum n00b who violates the no:1 rule of any forum then DON'T ANSWER ME!

Natural selection, if noone answers chances are: I will never get an answer, or I'll have to research more deeply(or research if I haven't done any) and find my own answer eventually, if there is any, posted.

Oh but this does not fit to Dave right? You need to flame people and show people that you are "right" and helping people is not your main reason for being here.

Thought so.

Think rationally look at this thread. Which one causes more problems and time waste?

Natural selection works, pumping egos don't. Causes more problems. This is the case with most forums.

I got the answer in your second post, after your "Dave -master of sarcasm, knows everything" post. As you guessed.

Anyways, really, enough of this. I'm not in anymore so you can keep pumping, and pumping. People care, really. Go on, waste more time.

And on top of it all, you feel the need to blame someone else for your failure to research, couldn't possibly be your fault that you were to lazy to do a quick search, typical thinking with today's generation, you'd probably sue me if you could.

Yes, Apple will be able to detect that your Macbook died and your now using a hackintosh and will come get you. :)

They were refraining from locking you up because you had an actual Mac, but now that your using only a hackintosh it's time to put you away.

Seriously, your hackintosh is no more legal now than it was before your Macbook died, search the forum, your only about the 5 billionth person to ask such a rediculous question.

I DON'T GET WHY opps, sorry about caps, (LOGIC and CAPS = playing from keyboard) wondering why people don't get apple care for te extra 2 years, I mean, I have seen MACBOOKS dead so they get a new one. Nothing wrong with that.

3 years is a long time - not sure other manufactures offer this.

I'll agree with you RedSox, always buy the extended warranty on a laptop no matter what brand. My crappy dell laptop has broken 5 times over the past 5 years (my med school has a deal with them). When I eventually kill my dell I'll buy a macbook pro but I can assure you I'll get an apple care plan.

as far as the legality of OSX on non-apple hardware....it's simple and we all know it. If you put OSX on a beige box PC it's illegal...period. It's the same as putting windows xp on your pc with a cracked serial number. The difference is apple isn't really gonna track you down and come down on you (not that windows is knocking down doors), it really comes down to how you sleep at night knowing you are stealing the intellectual property of another. If you don't even think about it before you go to sleep this topic is irrelevant. If you feel guilty about doing what you are doing then stop...

• 3 weeks later...

If you somehow own a legal copy of OS X and you manage to run it on beige hardware, it is not illegal as in "they can put you in prison", it is "only" breach of EULA. That means they could start a litigation against you... (to my knowledge it has never happened).

You guys arguing over something as stupid as how someone words a question has really made me laugh. thanks for that guys. it was like a monty python sketch in book form. lol.

Should I add fuel to the fire here? hmmm.... If you buy a true copy of osx and then use it on a pc then i cannot see how that can be illegal (thats against the law and not a sick bird before any of you start) lol.

If any of you know of a part of the osx licence agreement which states that it is only for use on apple hardware then please point it out to me.

hmmm.... If you buy a true copy of osx and then use it on a pc then i cannot see how that can be illegal (thats against the law and not a sick bird before any of you start) lol.

It's not illegal to own a copy of OSx86, since he already has a license for OS X. What's actually illegal (the part that violates the EULA which you agree to when you install OS X or buy a preloaded Apple machine) is that the software was modified to be used on non-Apple hardware.

Apple won't do anything, really. I bet even if you told them, they still wouldn't do anything. And if anyone actually did come knocking for what they may claim as piracy (from downloading OSx86), you can tell them that it's a backup copy and that you legally own a license from when you purchased your MacBook. You are generally allowed to make "one" backup of software you paid for.