Remote Desktop over WWW Proxy

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

So here's a challenge to my trusty osx86 thinkers.

I am in an environment where i am behind an MS ISA Server that only allows outgoing HTTP port 80 and HTTPS port 443.

And I want to remote desktop to my home computer.

Windows XP Workstation --> ISA Server --> Internet --> Home Router --> Home computer (Windows 2003)

I'm not sure of the best approach here...

I have been using various approaches with little and no success. Either i am not doing it properly or something.

1. LogMeIn:

Just in case, I have tried LogMeIn - I like remote desktop rather than remote controlling my computer for all to see.

2. HTTP-Tunnel + FreeCap:

Remote Desktop --> FreeCap --> HTTP-Tunnel --> ISA Server --> Internet --> Home router and computer

I have tried HTTP-Tunnel - which now supports NTLM authenication thru the ISA Server and it worked.

In addition, I used FreeCap for Remote Desktop to go thru HTTP-tunnel via a different port, say 1080.

But somehow, RDP/FreeCap doesnt get thru somewhere with HTTP-Tunnel and ISA Server.

(This setup has worked in a non-ISA Server environment).

3. desproxy + NTLM Authenication Proxy Server

Remote Desktop --> FreeCap --> Desproxy --> NTLMAPS --> ISA Server --> Internet --> Home router and computer

I'm not sure this setup is right...

I checked NTLMAPS logs and it gives the following header message:

HTTP/1.1 407 Proxy Authentication Required ( Access is denied. )

4. What other alternatives?

Is there another application other than FreeCap I can use?

Any experiences with tunnelling with ISA Server?

What other approaches can be done?

Anyone got a solution?

Many thanks in advanced.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you configured your router to forward the remote desktop ports to your computer?

I have my network set up so I can remote boot any computer in my house and remote desktop the windows computers, and ssh the linux and macs.