Enabling QE/CI on OS X on VMware

~pcwiz

39 posts in this topic

Hi,

My latest project is enabling QE/CI on Mac OS X running on VMware. It seems impossible but I'm gonna try anyway There seem to be no drivers for this so I am going to add the device id of the VMware Virtua VGA to a kext. I am having trouble finding which kext I should add the device id too. Here is my info under System Profiler (JaS 10.4.8 running on VMware WS 6):

Display

Type: Display

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 128MB

Vendor ID: 0x15ad

Device ID: 0x0405

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

The part that worries me is that no kext is loaded which means it is currently not using a driver. Is there anyone with driver programming experience that knows about this? Witha little help from an X Labs Dev, I think it may be possible to get this working.

I know you can do this in Windows VMs, not sure about other OSes...

<H3>Enabling Accelerated 3-D for a Virtual Machine

To enable a virtual machine for accelerated 3-D

1. Choose a virtual machine with Windows 2000 or XP guest operating system.

Note: Do not enable Direct3D on a virtual machine that is powered on or suspended.

2. Add the following to the configuration (.vmx) file for the virtual machine:

mks.enable3d = TRUE

This line enables accelerated 3-D on the host. It is required to support accelerated 3-D in the guest and also enables the host to accelerate 2-D portions of the guest display.

3. You may also add one or both of the following optional lines:

svga.vramSize = 67108864

This line increases the amount of VRAM on the virtual display card to 64 MB. Adding more VRAM helps to reduce thrashing in the guest. The maximum value is 128 MB.

vmmouse.present = FALSE

This line disables the absolute pointing device in the guest. Applications which require DirectInput relative mode need to turn off the absolute pointing device in the guest. In practice, this is only required for a certain class of full screen 3-D applications (for example, real-time games like first-person shooters).

Note: If you set the vmmouse.present option, you should also turn off the preference for motion ungrabbing in the Input tab of the Preferences settings dialog.

To turn off ungrabbing for vmouse.present:

a. Choose Edit > Preferences.

b. Click Input.

<A name=wp1034553>c. Deselect Ungrab when cursor leaves window.

</H3>

Thanks jpsiemer but the instructions are for Windows not OS X. lord muad dib, I have the device id for the emulated GPU model if it helps. Also the GPU model that VMware emulates is called the VMware SVGA II with 16MB of default VRAM (can be increased to 128MB).

Read this if you need more info:

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-softwa...lay-device.html

This wont work. As far as I know the 3d in vmware works by passing the render commands to the host system, if its directx they get converted to opengl. At least this is the way parallels does it, but i'm almost 100% certain that vmware uses the same method.

You can't simply copy over some files, because there is no driver for it. Almost all those other video drivers for osx are apple drivers which were made to run with a hackintosh. But for this one, there is no apple driver.

Have fun learning how to write a video driver.

I might be interested in learning how to write a driver. I had a link to a tutorial on the basics of how to write a driver but I can't find it. Do you know where it is? Anyway, meanwhile gnubeard has ideas to work on a video driver for VMware so we can see how that goes.

• 7 months later...

Hi ~pcwiz,

Have you had any luck with getting QE/CI working on OSX under VMWare?

Do you know if this will be able to be enabled in WS6.5?

I hope somebody can solve this issue.

NSCXP2005

Guys

It is a completely VMware only virtual graphics card. It does not emulate anything real. The code for the X11 driver is published and available. You would have to write a driver, or just wait until Fusion 2 starts shipping the Darwin VMware tools package. :(

Thanks ~pcwiz.

I am after a tool that will let me find out if my laptop supports Quartz Extreme before I install OSX Hackintosh, the reason I want a tool to find out first is because I have windows installed on my laptop and would like to use vmware fusion to run it through OSX.

All the best

NSCXP2005

p.s do you know if SIS Chipsets are quartz extreme compatible, if not is the Intel 950GMA?

For a tool like that, you would have to have a database of drivers and their corresponding devices for OSx86. I remember Colonel was making something like that, but development seems to have halted ATM.

I don't believe it's as simple as even writing a GPU driver for the emulated hardware. Remember, much of the hardware acceleration is enabled via VMWare Tools, so until you either make or build something compatible to OS X first, you can't work 3D acceleration.

Actually the tools do not provide the acceleration, the driver does. Most of the tool code is now open sourced. But as mentioned best just waiting for the Darwin tools. If you check out Fusion 2 beta, you will see an empty darwin.iso, and the tools are coming.

OK I understand. The tools package installs it. The tools versus drivers has some specific meanings for us too deeply involved in the VMware world! ;-) This has got me wondering whether some of the tools in the open source version could be compiled on Mac. They have APPLE defines in them and use gcc to compile. Maybe I'll give it a go later.

• 5 months later...

Now that OSX Server for VMWare Fusion is out, I was wondering if there have been any developments regarding QE/CI and VMWare tools that can be adapted for an OSX86 image under VMWare Workstation in Windows or Linux. Would be nice.