Boot from Time Machine backup?

owlglass

11 posts in this topic

I don't think so... I heard that when you install Leopard, and if you have an external HD with a Time Machine backup on it connected to your computer during the install, that there will be an option in the install to restore your computer using that backup. But this is only something I read in a forum somewhere so you may want to get confirmation on that...

You can't boot from a Time Machine backup, but if you boot from the install DVD, you can restore your backup to another disk... And, that's true, you don't have a real control of the backups... OS X manages them alone, but when the disk is full, it will delete the older backups automatically. And if your backup disk became too small, it will ask you for another disk...

True. It's just that sometimes you'd want, for instance, to do a backup before taking your laptop with you somewhere, and with Time Machine you'd have to wait for the fixed schedule.

Another thing. Yesterday I had to shut down my computer twice by holding down the power button because TM somehow got stuck while backing up + prevented any other app from launching. So it's turned off now.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also still have the regular scheduled Time Machine backups but like the Pinkfish said, in 10.5.2 You can click the Time Machine Icon in the top task bar and click backup now to perform a backup on command.

• 3 weeks later...

You can't actually `boot` but you can restore a system from time machine using your Leopard DVD.

Boot with the DVD and select Utilities > Restore from Backup.

Then choose the backup disk where time machine backup exists, then choose the disk to restore and voila!..