What's The Best Emulation Software?

24 posts in this topic

I was looking for some emulation program for when I install OSX86 or when I get my Macbook. What's the best one to use? The only things I would use the emu for would be for playing Guild Wars, iPod Movie Converter, Acid Pro and Office 2007 (until Office:mac 2008 is out).

CrossOver does not have a lot of support. Here is a list of supported applications. Remember, even if it is not on that list means it has not been tested, it might still work :D

Correct, the list doesn't seem to be updated enough and a lot of the information is outdated.

The only way to know is to try it. Some things just won't work while others seem to work great.

(Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 & 2 and MS Office 2003 all work great for me.

Although they can run in Parallels and Fusion I avoid needing a full Windows OS installation this way.)

I guess I could give CrossOver a shot first, just to avoid the whole Windows install. Even though CrossOver didn't say it supported any of the programs I wanna use. Worth a try anywho. If worst comes to worst, Fusion. Thanks for being helpful everyone.

I recommend Parallels, just because I don't like the idea of using beta software. VMware Fusion also seems to be a good choice but I'm not using it till it is fully released (not just beta).

I like Fusion better but they are both perfectly workable.

I'm not basing it on the IDEA of using a beta, but the actual experience of using both. (beta or otherwise) :P

I've tested Parallels, works flawlessly on the programs I used. I have tried out Fusion a bit here and there but Parallels just seems to integrate better into Mac OS X for some reason (I don't know why....Just seems like it for me).

I recommend Parallels, just because I don't like the idea of using beta software. VMware Fusion also seems to be a good choice but I'm not using it till it is fully released (not just beta).

Fusion is out in version 1.0... not beta any more. The beta currently available is a beta of 1.1.

I like Fusion better except for one thing. Both Parallels and Fusion let you keep all your docs on your Mac and point your "My Documents" folder to it. But with Parallels, you can also associate certain file types with a Windows program within the OS X finder, so that double-clicking a document (e.g., a Word 2007 .docx file) in the Finder launches the Windows program to open them. I haven't found a way to do this in Fusion. For me that's a big advantage for Parallels because I can use spotlight to find the documents I want and open them directly from there, rather than have to navigate to them using the Windows file system, or install Google Desktop in Windows to find my docs.

I think I'm gonna like Fusion more solely because of that whole Unity View thing. Although I am considering installing both and then just figuring out from there which one to pick.

Remember, for now, Fusion does not have Windows Vista Unity support. It only works for Windows XP. :rolleyes:

That is not correct. Unity works fine with Windows Vista, I used it with VMWare Fusion 1.0 and now with the current 1.1 beta. No issues at all, other than Unity only working on one monitor.

Perhaps you're thinking of Windows Aero in VMWare?

I tried an early beta of VMWare Fusion and didn't have the best of luck. Haven't tried it again so I don't know what improvements have been made. I've been working with Parallels for awhile now and it seems to be improving with every minor release. I wouldn't run major editing or authoring software on it, but it does a lot of things very nicely...including the whole MS Office 2007 Suite.

I was really impressed that I could install Daemon Tools and created virtual cd/dvd drives to run several programs that I use regularly, including MS Streets and Trips. It reads the disk images from my HFS+ storage drive so I don't have to import them to the Windows virtual drive. Pretty responsive for virtual drives within a virtual drive.

The whole seemless cutting and pasting between operating systems is great. I can't wait until we get to the 4.0 and 5.0 versions in the future. Virtual OSs may be the way of the future.

Actually the current build of Parallels does manage windows independently. I've tried both Fusion and Parallels, and for my purposes I liked Parallels better, but its turning into a religious thing for some folks.

I also use Crossover for a few things, but a couple of warnings -- .net apps won't run at all, so you are out of luck on most of the newer MS software (including Office 2007). It's also quite slow, especially to launch. Once its running however, you don't have all the overhead of running a complete second OS installation.

It's not uncommon for me to be sitting here with two versions of windows running (server 2003 and XP) alongside Mac OS at the same time. Makes development and testing super easy.

I have both on my desktop hackintosh, but in my Portable Dellintosh I only have Fusion, I carry all of my VMs there, Win98, WinXP, Linux, Mac OS X 10.4.3 that I can use from Mac OS X, Vista or Linux, that does not apply with Parallels.

• 2 months later...