• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Shredplayer

Shredplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
This guide will help you enable/disable QuartzGL and BeamSync on Leopard!

Enable QuartzGL

Open Terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES
Change YES to NO to disable it.

Restart or Log Out to take effect.

Disable BeamSync

Open Terminal

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0
Change 0 to 1 to enable it

You can also edit the file /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist using PlistEdit Pro or Property List editor from Xcode.

That should take care of it..

- Shredplayer

TPC Hackintosh Users Group

darkmac

darkmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
no work in my hackintosh 10.5 9A528d Saphire x1950xtx

Shredplayer

Shredplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
you have to Log off, then look at the System Profiler!Posted Image

open terminal

sudo nano com.apple.windowserver.plist

if you see QuartzGLDisabled remove that entry.

RSG

RSG

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hey thanks, ive been editing the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver but cannot make Quartz2DExtreme to work, i did'nt know it should be QuartzGLEnabled. rather than Quartz2DExtremeEnabled.

thanks works on my 9A527 though i don't notice any improvements, oh well i'll try Xbench!

darkmac

darkmac

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
Now work thanks!

pavelstoykov

pavelstoykov

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

you have to Log off, then look at the System Profiler!Posted Image
open terminal

sudo nano com.apple.windowserver.plist
if you see QuartzGLDisabled remove that entry.

when i open that file,i haven't nothing inside,please help me

Attached Files

micato

micato

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Works in original Imac !!

flibblesan

flibblesan

Lenovo hackbook guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
What's the reason to do this?

SticMAC™

SticMAC™

"Nobody likes a SmartASS"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts
It is supposed to be:

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver, but youre supposed to know this!

SticMAN

anibalin

anibalin

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

What's the reason to do this?

yes, please, explain.
what is beamsync mate?
thanks

agrafuese

agrafuese

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
interesting, QuartzGLEnabled made my performance worse actually :blink:

Shredplayer

Shredplayer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Well QuartzGL can boost extra performance if the application is hardware acceleration dependent, though some applications will be slowed down when used on system wide default, for regular users this is not really recommeended other than the fun testing it but for programmers, this can be used this for debuging purposes....it's still a buggy drawing mode that's why it's Off by default.

BeamSync on the other hand is a delay time mode for CPU/GPU/Output syncronization, if you're using a CRT better leave it on but if using LCD's you can turn this off since LCD's don't used Beamsync and can actually slow down GUI Speed.

johan

johan

Nuke ATWT fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
it slows my xbench score

i got a nvidia 8800 gtx and intel Q6600 cpu with leopard 10.5.2

video score goes from 250 to 200

i guess the reason why apple don't activate QuartzGL is the slow overall performance

dutchiee (=

dutchiee (=

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
would QGL and beamsync slow down the overall performance or feel to the desktop? ive noticed if i put my resolution up high (1920x1200) it just feels laggy compared to lower resolutions on my 7950GT, if it does slow the performance then i'd be better of disabling these yeah?

thanks =]

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello, Please help. I have ASUS Geforce 8600GT. I have problem with resolution and Chipset Model. ;) Others working well. Can you help me to resolve these.
Sorry for bad english :D

Farx

Farx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts
That makes my Office 2008 crashed.

The Xeon Quad Man

The Xeon Quad Man

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
What are the advantages of QuartzGL and should I enable it? I don't want to slow down performance. Is it just a visual thing?

MacX

MacX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Intresting, But i am not very sure if this is going to be helpful for a lad like myself.

Thanks for the info thou.

bishopdante

bishopdante

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Quartz Composer<br />Max MSP<br />Objective C<br />Java<br />Ado...
I'm hardly an Apple in-house systems engineer, I'm a user, but from what I understand from my reading, it works something like this.

QuartzGL may not be so optimised at the moment. Your Graphics card may be not so hot. CPUs are really fast when munching up screen-res sized images. It may also be that the apps aren't optimised for QuartzGL either, and is having to effectively run the old code as well in order to translate into suitable Hardware Accelerated form. It may also be all of the above co-operating to make it sluggish.

QuartzGL is not exactly off either. It's off by default. Applications which are compatible with it switch it on, and use it happily.

Basically the data flow is that QuartzGL or Quartz non-GL (CPU flavour) feed into a natively OpenGL Compositing element of OSX. This whole process is called Core Image. Were you to do Quartz non-GL > QuartzGL > OpenGL Composite, then obviously this is less efficient.

Chances are that when we get OpenCL in Snow Leopard, then all of the tasks can be passed to the GPU indiscriminately, and the card will just munch them raw, regardless of what you want.

When you activate QuartzGL by default, all apps start using QuartzGL, not just the right apps.

The bottom line: the software which uses it dynamically will run at the same speed. The software which predates the option to switch it on isn't written for it, and won't work any faster. In actual fact, it'll run slower. The CPU is having to do just the same work as before, running just the same code as before.

I don't know which version of Xbench you're using. Chances are it's for testing current Macs, so the performance will obviously deteriorate when you switch on QuartzGL by default.

blanktruth

blanktruth

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hmmm, I do not have /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver file...

What does that mean?

My Quartz Extreme appears as Not Supported for my 9800 GTX card...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy