Why Microsoft must abandon Vista to save itself

Alessandro17

65 posts in this topic

What an age we live in, when a single user's computing power can rival that of the Pentagon's....

I know that some things are slower in Vista, but the RAM usage is not a good indicator. It's not like older versions of Windows where the RAM usage shown in the task manager was just what is actually being used, it's also what's being saved in memory so that programs will start faster and other actions will start faster. Kind of like adding the active, inactive, and wired RAM in OSX.

I wonder if we can get the specs of those sacred "developer machines" so we can make PCs that are fully compatible with Tiger.

pcwiz

3.6GHz Intel Pentium 4 Prescott LGA 775 with Hyper-Threading

2MB L2 Cache

800MHz FSB

2 x 512MB 533MHz DDR2-SDRAM Dual Channel equaling a total of 1GB

Intel GMA 900 Graphics

SATA 160GB Hard Drive at 7200 rpm

16x DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW "SuperDrive"

Modified Intel D915GUXLK motherboard to fit the PowerMac G5 case

That enough specs for ya? ;)

They should start from scratch and make a great new OS.

That would make too much sense. Very UN-Microsoft like :)

he read the license aggreement for the os and he said that Miscrosoft reserves the right to monitor keystrokes and to record the data

I have heard about this many times before. It is one of the reasons why a lot of people do not trust microsoft ;)

Many people say that Tiger is not meant for Intel Macs and Intel Macs are not at their full potential with Leopard. Tiger is underpowered on Intel Macs. Tiger was just tested on Pentium 4 machines (developer ones) and Leopard was designed from the ground up on the Intel architecture and was tested on more current machines.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Apple been working on an X86 build of OS X since Apple started working on X? There was speculation regarding that since there was a readily-available build of Darwin for x86 since long before I can remember...

You were probably thinking about prebinding or adaptive hot file clustering in the metadata zone, but that is totally different than 'automatically defragging' :(

Per Apple "The file system used on Macintosh computers is designed to work with a certain degree of fragmentation."