How accurate is Temperature Monitor ?

u1m2

12 posts in this topic

My temps seem too high for my setup, under windows it idles around 17-18 degrees cooler and same goes for load temps. I measure using core temp under windows. Does anybody else have similar issues, is there a workaround for this ? I am using a thermalright ultra 120 extreme for cooling coupled with a 1000 rpm 120mm fan.

double check in windows using SpeedFan, if it comes up with a bunch of wierd stuff and multiple temps then u know ur sensors arent appropriately setup, but can usually determine which is which. honestly by the looks of your system, it may be more conventional to invest in a zalman kit. ive installed this unit on a display machine http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118015 the v2 and its very very easy. on a note of the fluid, use the zalman fluid or another "safe" fluid. i bought some then read the label and it said ingestion may cause birth defects O_o

that 120mm fan rpm is kinda low too not that i think about it...

• 3 months later...
Sounds like Speedstep is reducing the CPU Frequency in Windows. "Temperature Monitor" is very precise.

Old thread to have replied in but on my machines with Gigabyte boards the first a GA-965-S3 with an e6300 it is about 15-20C higher same as the orginal poster reports on my GA-965-DS3 with a q6600 G0 the temperatures are the same no matter what OS I use OS X, Win XP or Debian GNU/Linux, no speedstep is enabled on either of the machines.

If you look in your bios, you will find that temp monitor over reads by 15 - 20 degrees unfortunately. You can test easily by setting the bios to alert you at a particular temp, but it does not because the real temp is never as high as you think it is (if that makes sense).

If you have a q6600, atleast in older versions of speedfan (idk if they fixed it yet) they report all the core temps to be exactly 15c cooler than they actually are.

On my L2 Stepping E2160, Temperature monitor appears to agree with CoreTemp in Windows, maybe a little higher with in OSX, no doubt due to speedstep/C1E not working in OSX. Windows idle temps are around 30C, with idle in OSX being around 35C.

One thing I have noticed is that OSX appears to "favour" one core over the other. In Windows at idle, both cores are usually within 1 or 2 C of each other. In OSX, the discrepancy is more like 3 or 4.

As for CoreTemp and the Q6600, I believe the latest build solves that problem which was due to CT not reading TJuction properly.

I would say that there´s a 10-15º difference between Leo and Vista. I just finished a 3 hours stress test of my system (See the picture). I inmediately switched to Leo, and Tempereature Monitor was showing the cores at 72º-69º-63º-68º. If you compare it to the stress test, max temperature with the cores working at 100% during 3 hours never reached 60º so there´s some problem with Temperature Monitor.

post-158144-1201379187_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the exact same question.

I have an E2180 .. m0 stepping

Anyway, in windows @ idle it is running 33C / full load 57+C .. I'm using Coretemp and Speedfan 3.34 Beta 38

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System.../SpeedFan.shtml

When I run Temperature Monitor in Leopard, its higher by exactly 15C compared to windows .. both idle and full load.

So, I guess Temperature Monitor is not accurate.

Someone helped me and answered that discrepancy query .. thanks to him :P

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry611818

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I try to explain it, even my native language is not english.

Lets say Your Mac Installation runs at 3GHZ. "Temperature Monitor" shows 60C idle.

This seems to be too much and You start suspecting "Temperature Monitor"

On a CPU there are 2 Temperature Sensors" Core" and "Surface"

Temperature Monitor shows You the Core Temperature, that is about 15-20C higher than "Surface".

If you use a Tool like "CoreTemp" in Windows and You still have set the Bios to 3GHZ

it is in fact only 2 GHZ, because Speedstep works in Windows, but not on a (Hack)Mac Installation. Use CPUZ to verify that.

Now "CoreTemp" or maybe "Everest" shows 40C Core Temp and Your Standard Tool shows 25C Surface Temp.

If  you disable Speedstep, You will have the same 60C Core Temp as on Your Mac Partition.

Conclusion

If you want to run Your Hackintosh at 3GHZ, You need a real good CPU Cooler to run that permanently without too much noise. Think about installing something like a Thermaltake IFX 14 if you go for 4GHZ.

• 3 months later...

I have exactly opposite problem: TemperatureMonitor (ver. 4.51) displays lower temperature than BIOS and Windows monitors. It shows 28C CPU temperature, BIOS displays 43C. HW specs bellow.