Idea: For Apple Software Update

~pcwiz

56 posts in this topic

Couldn't somone set up a server and host the files there and run it as an update server? I don't think you'd have to worry about bandwith then.

A server for it, is a good idea that would work. but an Apple software update server for hackintosh computers we couldn't do. The only problem is with running an update server, is organization.

Like kexts and updates for AMD machines, intel machines, etc etc.

Hmm...I thought that may be a problem...but is it really illegal to modify an update and serve it via an update server? Its not like we're letting anyone download the entire OS. And the only updates we have to modify (for Intel anyway) are the system updates.

Hmm...I thought that may be a problem...but is it really illegal to modify an update and serve it via an update server? Its not like we're letting anyone download the entire OS. And the only updates we have to modify (for Intel anyway) are the system updates.

Even if you just make the updates that are "safe" without any modification. You could always have more than one update server for each (Intel, AMD). You would only have to use a different address for each.

I had a G4 running server to automatically update all the macs that would plug into our home network. That was back in dial-up days so not having to download updates more than once was important. It takes minutes to setup and you can easily point other computers at the ip.

The hackintosh idea is good in principle, but, what you propose doing constitutes reverse engineering Apple's software. This is illegal in most jurisdictions. In fact anyone hosting this server would probably get a quick letter from Apple legal, I suspect that it would be a step too far for them. So if you do go ahead, I hope you have a big war chest for the court case.

This idea was mooted on a number of hackintosh forums, the legal aspect is what kills it. That, plus the fact that you couldn't make one update for ALL hackintoshes (it'd get way more complicated than if it's AMD or Intel), i.e. the way my kexts have to be edited will vary from the way yours have to be. So, in the end, you'd end up bricking ppls computers; same as if you used Apple's update.

This would be a handy tool, but Apple would be all over it like flies on a turd. The domain owner and service provider would be getting cease and desist letters immediately. It's difficult to enforce anything in the P2P domain, but once you lock it to a specific website there will be trouble.

Then maybe do it P2P? As for the updates bricking peoples computers, couldn't we just set it to analyze the hardware and get the right update? But there are universal updaters like koolkal and PascalW that work on most if not all intel computers so I don't know if that will be a problem.

Thats easy. Just set the installer to back up your kexts and after the update before you restart you can restore the kext...

Like Kiko mentioned it can be done with OS X Server.

The issue is no one wants to, whether it be due to legal problems (which I'm sure would come), bandwidth issues, time, actual need.

No offense PCWiz but do you have a programming background at all? I'm curious when I hear people say, well just disassemble this, then well just program this, and for each argument the answer is just program/hack something else.

Don't forget that Apple's updates are fairly well tested. How can these "community" updates be verified against so many different hardware configs, OS versions, (different author updates aka PascalW vs Koolway), knowing if some files are already modified. Simply making backups isn't always appropriate and workable.

Can it be done, possibly. Is it worth the effort, I doubt it, but that's not stopping someone from trying.

(Is it really that hard to read the forums first before applying any updates. Seems with the huge growth of insanely lately there is a huge swell of new users that can't even read before posting basic questions anymore. Wasn't referring to you pcwiz. :) )

Either way, I think an Apple Update Server providing hacked updates for Hackintoshes would get Apple's attention really quick.

(Not the same as having hacked OS X on p2p networks.)

I just had an idea about the Apple Software Update program and Hackint0sh. When you are using a Hackint0sh, Apple Software Update is sometimes useless because the updates from Apple (mostly) are for genuine Apple computers and some updates screw your Hackint0sh.

What if someone made a server containing Hackint0sh compatible updates and modified Apple Software Update so that it downloaded and checked for updates on the Hackint0sh server instead. Then, OSx86 users wouldn't have the hassle of downloading and installing Hackint0sh packages.

Just an idea...all we need is someone to implement it.

hey dude, it's a nice idea especially now that leopard is coming in a few days, if someone know how to do it i want to help using my mac pro like the server we need. i think my mac it's enough to cover this updates.. well if someone is in proces of something just send me a pm..

something that i was thinking is that i must use a dynamic ip, cause (no creo que se tomen las molestias) cause if someone want to know who is the server the can kill me jajajaja...

and also when someone (jas, diabolik ,etc ) finished the final copy of leopard for pc i want to seed it. i've got 20 mb downstream and 10 upstream,.

think about it and tell me.

matt

Thanks matifrusciante88, your help is much appreciated. We will contact you if we need the server set up. BTW, how much did your Mac Pro Cost? Over $10,000 dollars I'm guessing.

this mac pro it's my little baby, someone love cars, well jeje i love Macs and i wanted the day that this mac was realesed, i bought it last week

23.542 dolars, the real fun thing it's that i don't know much about the OS X for me it was the same thing to buy a mac mini than a mac pro, but i love this mac, and when i installed Tiger 10.4.10 in my Other PC. i wanted to help since the first time, but i don't know much of os x. i know windows like the palm of my hand. i will give my support in anything that i can do...

so hope i could be helpful.

matt

$23,542 !! OMG that is crazy money to spend on a mac. You should read the ongoing discussion about the high price of macs:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64895

We have come to the conclusion that OS X is a cheap lure to make you buy overpriced overkill computers. You could get a PC computer with the same specs for half the price.

But we don't worry about that now :happymac: Its great that you have it and if we sort out the problems and decide to implement it, your machine will be the starting point :D

$23,542 !! OMG that is crazy money to spend on a mac. You should read the ongoing discussion about the high price of macs:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=64895

We have come to the conclusion that OS X is a cheap lure to make you buy overpriced overkill computers. You could get a PC computer with the same specs for half the price.

But we don't worry about that now :unsure: Its great that you have it and if we sort out the problems and decide to implement it, your machine will be the starting point :(

yes i know, i've got a this pentium d and another Intel Quad CORE Q6600 . with 4 gb ram and 1,5 TB and with hackintosh it work fantastic, the only thing that its incredible in mac pro obvius, it'snot the mem the cpu , it the video card, geforce 8 series is a beautiful card but this card it's awesome waht you can do jeje...

something i did't tell.. i use this mac pro not to server or anything i use it with Pro tools

so i will need some help. jeje

:(

see yaa

> it's a nice idea especially now that leopard is coming in a few days

Even if someone does this, it'll take a heck of a lot longer than a few days... but then you probably know that.

I don't want to say I actually endorse this, but in theory I'd say the practical way to do it would be:

- if you're concerned with the legality, put the server(s) in the Island of Vanatu or some place

- put all the relevant updates for amd, intel, etc on the same server (you have to sort it out on the client side... it would be totally impractical to have a different server for every possible configuration out there)

- client side, either

a ) let the user choose which updates he/she wants to install (per usual Apple update)

b ) put the onus on the package "author" to screen whether or not the update is appropriate (yay, extra work!) during installation ... maybe some pre-existing format could be used to make this easier - I'm sure there's a dead-simple way in Linux to spit out a list of recognized hardware.

c ) probably an easier way to selectively choose which files to download via the plist in the actual package? Does someone with more experience with Software Update in OS X Server know how this works? You don't see Software Update running on a Mac Pro offering a MacBook firmware Update, so it can't be that hard? Does Software Update just look in /Receipts or something? If that's the case I guess it would be trivial to ensure you only get offered Updates to packages you've already Installed... except that half of our Installed packages we've edited by hand :-(

On the other hand... could someone who is actually *developing* around here could weigh in on this - I'm just a dabbler myself.

Great ideas. I agree that if a server were to be used, it would have to be placed somewhere rural.

P.S. I dare someone to contact the Apple Legal Department and ask if this is allowed :rolleyes:

that's a big problem cause i'm not in a rural area...... but i got an idea i must ask the person first..

in my city there is a russian guy that makes web pages for people in other countrys and he evades tax making people pay him in a sweeden bank,, but he he makes it realy weird and there's no way to know the account number of he,,. maybe if i ask him he could make a web in a comon hosting making this "trick" to pay the hosting, so we could get a server for updates, and better, a server with a direct download of the os x dvd image file... i know this guy makes a lot of things, that obvius i dont know what, but it's a kinda big hacker..so i'll ask him and i tell you,, the thing is i don't have a problem to pay him,, the problem if this "could" work, i'm not going to pay the hosting obvius, jejeej

something i forgot i want to test my hackintosh with os x server,, someone has the torrent file? or the link to the piratebay to download it? cause i can't finde it..

thanks

matt

I don't think that there is a hackint0sh version of OS X server.

so when you say that os x sever in your pc it's unstablle,, you referd to the free iso of darwin x86 for PC that apple brings to normal pcs x86??

cause if not i would start to "try" to learn more about os x estructure making the os x server tiger avaible for hackintosh,,, since i have this mac pro i notice a lot of things that i could be usefull. many of you should know it, but i don't so i will try...

and i confirm i think the update server, checking the variables, there's no way to make it work with my mac, if i don't want to be in jail jeje. but making the iso's direct download it's ok, and i'm working on it, when i finished i tell you, first i't will be avaible the 10.4.10 and the patches..and if it works and there's no problem, we continue with, "el leopardo",, something that i was thinking: "if it is a web page like piratebay and it was not shut down the page after the many torrents with ilegal things. why we should worry about a page with this only iso?"...