[HOW TO] ATI Radeon HD2600 Series for Hackintosh

exodus_xt

283 posts in this topic

"edit the info.plist inside /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonX2000.kext

add your device Id for me : 0x95891002 (2600 pro...)"

Hi, i have only one problem, i dont't know how edit kext file, could someone help me?

Right click on the .kext file, go to 'Show Package Contents', then find the info.plist file, drag it to your desktop, edit it with Textedit, then change permissions and replace the new with the old one.

HIS 512 GDDR3 , any good for photo editing ?

is vlc, quicktime working ?

is the output good enough for photo editing ?

dual monitor ? DVI ?

any crashes from overheating ?

I bought the HIS 512 GDDR3 version with the iceIII passive cooler, because I have two fairly large flat screens I want to drive with it. There was a $15 rebate which made it about the same price as the 256 cards so I bit. The id is one digit removed from the ones posted here (last digit 8 instead of 9) not sure if that is significant or not.

It's running about 55º C so I am concerned that the GPU is running too hot. I replaced the paste and a shadow of the ATI etch was burned into the heatsink on one side so I don't think it was evenly applied. I also put much more paste around the tubes that run to the back of the card as it looked pretty skimpy before. This got me to the 55º down about 10º from where it was. I am going to add a fan over the slots tonight to see if that makes any difference.

The red pixes over dark areas of videos and the red scramble lines are making me very nervous! :(

hey ladies and gents, I just setup my new rig with the MSI rx2600xt card... but it's not working out so wonderfully. The kalyway dvd boots and installs no problemo, but upon reboot I either dont get any video feed or else its simply a blue screen. I've been trying both dvi and dvi->vga adapters, and they yield the same results. At this point I can't even attempt o try and install the trakis or 10.5.2 drivers... well thats a lie, I tried to force them in via terminal via the kalyway dvd, but it made no difference at all. Anyone else deal with this before??

Thanks,

jd

Hi everyone,

you are all doing great work here !!!

but I can't still find a answer on my questions

I have also an ATI HD2600. (with ASUS P5K) this is my first experience to install the 10.5.1.

I installed the DVD with vanilla kernel, and azalia_ADI1988 etc,

The system rebooted, there is a startup sound on the background and then the grey window stops. (probably vga-problems)

I found the 2600_Installer.zip (via winXP-pc) but I don't know how to get this on my installed drive.

Because I booted from dvd to get a terminal, I cannot open the drive because it is still mounted

does it work with a memorystick ? if so, how can this be mounted ?

how can I unzip this patch ?

which editor can be used via terminal

How can I find my device ID ?

thanks in advance !!

Hi everyone,

you are all doing great work here !!!

but I can't still find a answer on my questions

I have also an ATI HD2600. (with ASUS P5K) this is my first experience to install the 10.5.1.

I installed the DVD with vanilla kernel, and azalia_ADI1988 etc,

The system rebooted, there is a startup sound on the background and then the grey window stops. (probably vga-problems)

I found the 2600_Installer.zip (via winXP-pc) but I don't know how to get this on my installed drive.

Because I booted from dvd to get a terminal, I cannot open the drive because it is still mounted

does it work with a memorystick ? if so, how can this be mounted ?

how can I unzip this patch ?

which editor can be used via terminal

How can I find my device ID ?

thanks in advance !!

Well I solved my problems so maybe I can help you, though I'm not certain how I did it..!

First of all, I reset my bios and then put in reasonable settings (ACHI, native, etc... see ds3l tutorial for details on that). Then on my fifth attempt (And i think this was key in success) i repartitioned/formatted my hard drive (SATA) again, this time with a single large partition instead of preseving a spot for vista. When the machine finally reset and booted up I had a black/gray garbage mess on my desktop ;) rebooting with the -x parameter gave me Safe Mode, which gave me something to look at! the desktop! at this point I installed the traikis driver discussed earlier in the thread... finally when I restarted after that everything was a go.

for a better idea of what is failing try typing -v when you boot, itll output all kinds of information and probably hang when it hits a problem. Oh, and I tried a 2600 installer I found and it trashed my system- i couldnt even get the safe mode boot to work again. could be coincidence, but the traikis 3800_2600_whatever was the key to success :)

my machine appears to hang whenever it falls asleep or the video turns off... so i set it to never do either of those =\ i like saving electricity though :) hope I was helpful! goodluck!

For the record; I'm using ATi rx2600xt by MSI.

oh and for your questions (ha) i typically use "nano" in the terminal to edit text, and you can get device ids from the apple system profiler- click About This Mac in the Apple Menu (click the apple in the top left corner) then when a new window pops up press More Info. I think when you're running off the leopard dvd you can choose System Profiler right out of the menu and launch it directly, too. Then goto Video Card and look for Vendor ID: Device ID: ... mine is 9588

anyone update to 10.5.2 then try the graphics update with 2600xt? I'm fearsome I'll destroy my video card drivers... but optimistic itll work better?

10.5.2 drivers should work fine since 2600xt is supported now

I updated this morning (Kalyway bundle) - no issues.

I also applied the Graphics Update - no noticeable change. How does one go about checking what "drivers" are being used? I'm curious if I'm running Apple's new drivers or my old 2600XT drivers (triakis)

Thanks

Dave

I updated this morning (Kalyway bundle) - no issues.

I also applied the Graphics Update - no noticeable change. How does one go about checking what "drivers" are being used? I'm curious if I'm running Apple's new drivers or my old 2600XT drivers (triakis)

Thanks

Dave

Thats what I want to know, the only thing I can think of having the drivers for is to change my resolution, which I did manually by changing com.apple.Boot.plist for the Darwin Bootloader. I got these drivers working once but it didn't make the dock frame rate any better.

just went ahead with the graphics update on 10.5.2 and everything is great :pope: sporting the MSI rx2600xt 512mb passive cooled gpu.

I ran xbench before and after the graphics update (just the opengl/UI tests) and scored 280 before and 299 after. could be a fluke, but if so I'm happy it went in a positive direction :shock:

After updating to 10.5.2 everything was working fine with my installation until i installed the graphics update package from apple. I have a hd2600 pro AGP card with the triakis installed and my device id on the ATIX2000.kext

Now when i boot into leopard all i get is a black screen. everything seems to be working however nothing is displayed in the screen. i only managed to boot by removing all ati kexts in the extension folder but now i don't have QI/CE anymore.

any ideas as to what is happening???

Just wanted to add to the sucess story:

1. GA-P35-DS3L

2. 300GB SATA

3. ATI 2600HD Pro

4. 2GB 800Mhz RAM

5. Pioneer DVD (SATA)

I used Kaly and Mtotho's instructions to get started then this thread to get the resolution right.

Somethings aren't happy, for instance I can't launch iMovie it immediately crashes...

Also, the performance of WOW seems to be pathetic with this card. I was getting WAY better performance with an X850... <shrug> So I will dual boot and use windows what it was made for, playing games....

Thanks All!

After updating to 10.5.2 everything was working fine with my installation until i installed the graphics update package from apple. I have a hd2600 pro AGP card with the triakis installed and my device id on the ATIX2000.kext

Now when i boot into leopard all i get is a black screen. everything seems to be working however nothing is displayed in the screen. i only managed to boot by removing all ati kexts in the extension folder but now i don't have QI/CE anymore.

any ideas as to what is happening???

The same thing was happening to me! Except mine was a blue background with a cursor...so I figured, why would I need drivers if all I need them for is to change my resolution when I can change it through the darwin bootloader.

The same thing was happening to me! Except mine was a blue background with a cursor...so I figured, why would I need drivers if all I need them for is to change my resolution when I can change it through the darwin bootloader.

The need for the drivers to be fully supported is to get CI/QE hardware acceleration. this will give a much better overall performance to the system. besides that some apps like toast 8 will only work if they are enabled.

The need for the drivers to be fully supported is to get CI/QE hardware acceleration. this will give a much better overall performance to the system. besides that some apps like toast 8 will only work if they are enabled.

did you have any problems running the AGP version of 2600 ?

I never figured out what CI/QE was, but when I had the drivers working this one time a while ago it still didn't provide any better performace. The dock was still choppy, I still couldn't do the flip-3d album art in iTunes, the only thing it let me do was change my resoultion which I could do without the drivers.

did you have any problems running the AGP version of 2600 ?

Not with 10.5.1, using your kexts and triakis worked well. after updating to 10.5.2 graphics update and replacing your new set of kexts for 10.5.2 gives me a blue screen. no mouse or anything comes up.

is there anything i am missing here?

hmm use 10.5.1 kext till i can check what might be wrongjust make sure if you use 10.5.1 kexts also use 10.5.1 OpenGL.Frameworks otherwisw you will have a conflict resulting in some weird things

OK With this drivers card (Palit HD 2600PRO Sonic 256GDDR 3) working pretty well, but there is one more problem i have no 3D acceleration and because of this I can't play any game.

Is there any method to get full acceleration? This is last thing that i wont to be fully satisfied of Mac OS, anyway thanks for help.

Is it normal to read the guide, pretty much get it, then read the next 9 pages and be utterly confused?

Im planning on getting a SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3, but honestly have no clue what I need to install etc. Just follow the guide on page one? I plan on using Kalyway 10.5.1, and dont really care about 10.5.2.

Hi {censored},

i need some help with my first installation of Leopard. After I install Kalyway 10.5.1. did I need to install driver for my Radeon HD 2600 xt, where I can find drivers. Did I need new natit kext, did I need to install Triakis ?

Can anybody explain, please.

Thanx.

hmm use 10.5.1 kext till i can check what might be wrongjust make sure if you use 10.5.1 kexts also use 10.5.1 OpenGL.Frameworks otherwisw you will have a conflict resulting in some weird things

Ok, i kept trying to make your 10.5.2 kexts work. this is what i get now. leopard boots up but it takes over a minute in on the blue welcome screen till the set resolution is changed. there is not QI/CE but the card is recognized as a HD2600 on a PCI bus. the real problem is that the graphics driver crashes soon after you start opening windows and moving things around not to say everything becomes really slow.

I am suspecting that the graphics update is somehow incompatible with the actual AGPGART and NATIT kexts rather than the patched 10.5.2 HD2000.kext or the openGL framework.

Is it normal to read the guide, pretty much get it, then read the next 9 pages and be utterly confused?

Im planning on getting a SAPPHIRE 100218L Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3, but honestly have no clue what I need to install etc. Just follow the guide on page one? I plan on using Kalyway 10.5.1, and dont really care about 10.5.2.

Well, I just got done installing the HD 2500 XT KEXT from netkas. Clean installation Kalyway 10.5.1, then netkas kext, then update to 10.5.2, then kernal, then apple graphics update. I will post a quit How-To on what I did. Still having a sleep issue, but will report on that later. The Apple Graphics Update did speed up my XBench scores a little.