Macs purchased on Ebay

smelly_feet

6 posts in this topic

I need some advise here.

I purchased a g4 400mhz from ebay for my wife as a secure banking PC.

It came preloaded with os 10.3. Install CD's/DVD were not supplied with the Mac. It updated no problem from 10.3 to 10.3.9, but I have no idea if its a legal install.

The questions I have are:

1. Would you trust the preloaded mac os for banking? should I buy my own copy of the os and reinstall?

2. If I can trust the pre-installed OS, is 10.3 secure enough? or should I be upgrading to 10.4, or wait for 10.5 in October?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new to the Mac world.

1. Would you trust the preloaded mac os for banking? should I buy my own copy of the os and reinstall?

As long as you make a new user account, you are probably fine.

2. If I can trust the pre-installed OS, is 10.3 secure enough? or should I be upgrading to 10.4, or wait for 10.5 in October?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm new to the Mac world.

Having your own own CD is always good.

I would go for 10.4 and forget about 10.5. (With the video card on that machine it will feel sluggish.)

OSX 10.4.x would be the best OS to run on your system. But 10.3.9 will be fine aswell.

A preloaded system can be riddled with unwanted stuff, best to start afresh - especially when you want to have someones finances trusted with it.

Retail PPC installation OSX 10.4.x disks are the ones you need. Not all G4's came with a dvd drive and there is a CD version of OS 10.4.x out there as well.

thanks guys.

I'll go buy os tiger DVD especially since there were no comments about os 10.5 being more secure than tiger. The preinstalled os is barebone, and I have no reason to believe malware has been installed by the ebay seller, but I'll start fresh for piece of mind.

cheers all

btw, just out of curiosity, what is the G4 400mhz mac equivalent to in the windows world? I read that its equivalent to a p3 1GHz is that true?

thanks guys.

I'll go buy os tiger DVD especially since there were no comments about os 10.5 being more secure than tiger. The preinstalled os is barebone, and I have no reason to believe malware has been installed by the ebay seller, but I'll start fresh for piece of mind.

cheers all

btw, just out of curiosity, what is the G4 400mhz mac equivalent to in the windows world? I read that its equivalent to a p3 1GHz is that true?

10.5 wouldn't necessarily be more secure. Apple will still provide security updates and other software updates for Tiger for many years to come.

Take a look at how Apple explains the

. It shows how 800MHz G4 is faster than a 1.8GHz Pentium 4. It's a pretty interesting video that's worth watching. :)