NFS as Time Machine Drive?

davorin

14 posts in this topic

Upgraded to 9A559 and see that my NFS volumes aren't listed anymore as a backup drive for time machine.

Anybody else seeing this? Under 9A527 I could backup to my NFS drive but it wouldn't recognise the image stored on the next boot (o;

cheers

davorin

Upgraded to 9A559 and see that my NFS volumes aren't listed anymore as a backup drive for time machine.

Anybody else seeing this?

Yup, I'm getting the same behavior on 9A559 here. I hadn't played with time machine until this release, though. I have tried to use Time Machine with an NFS mount as well as an SMB mount to no avail. Tried to get AFP working with my linux server but wasn't having any luck there with netatalk, so I can't report on whether or not this build of Leopard will allow using AFP drives with Time Machine. Of note, the Apple web site does mention Time Machine compatibility with AirPort-based disk mounts, which use AFP as far as I know.

I was able to confirm that Time machine does recognize drives -- it's perfectly happy using one of my other local partitions.

Perhaps there's a (hidden) preference for allowing network mounts via NFS or SMB to be used with Time Machine?

Edit (2007.09.26 11PM EST) -- I was able to get things working via SMB by creating a hidden file within the SMB mount.

touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported

I still couldn't get it running over NFS, but I expect that to be a simple permissions issue with which I have no patience, especially given that it works with the exact same mount point over SMB. Hope this helps.

Edit (2007.09.26 11PM EST) -- I was able to get things working via SMB by creating a hidden file within the SMB mount.

I still couldn't get it running over NFS, but I expect that to be a simple permissions issue with which I have no patience, especially given that it works with the exact same mount point over SMB. Hope this helps.

Good find with the touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported trick.

I am pretty sure smb/afp mounts used to work "out of the box" in earlier versions of leopard.

Hello Ukp,

Could you please explain step by step how to make that trick. I am not very familiar with external disks connected to the Airport Extreme. In fact, I just got the disk, I connected to the Airport Extreme and I can see the volumes (as Sharepoints). But I don't know what AFP or SMB is.

Thanks!

Open terminal.app and cd /Volumes

do :

ls

You should see the name of the shared drive.

cd <sharedname>

then do :

Thats it.

Thanks UKP for your answer. I made it work.

The only problem I am having is that when I click on time machine (after the backups has been done) I get a message saying that I haven't configured an external hard drive. I open TM preferences and my hard disk is listed. I don't understand how it works then.

Gus

• 2 weeks later...
With AFP volumes this file has no effect...at least not with atalk AFP shares on Linux.

cheers

davorin

i can select afp share (linux/atalk) as time machine backup drive. it's important to first mount the afp in leopard and then touch .com.apple.timemachine.supported in your /Volumes/AFP_Share. doing that directly in linux filesystem won't create correct file.