Abit IP35-E everything works except waking from sleep

99 posts in this topic

Having spent the last 3 weeks installing OSX86 to a system, with Abit IP35-E and Intel E2160, I think that it may be beneficial for some to read what I did.

Installation Disk:

I successfully have used Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.4 r3 and Kalyway 10.4.10. I suggest Kalyway as it has the latest kernel. Only select the main system with Titan video (as I have Nvidia 7300LE). Skip all patches.

Installation Method:

VMWare Workstation 6 with either DVD drive or Daemon Tool, which is much faster. I was unable to install using just a regular DVD drive.

LAN (Controller - Marvel 88E8056):

Edit kext values to [1] Yukon-88E8056, and [2] 0x436411AB, respectively.

See http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=245032

Audio (Controller - Realtek ALC888)

Use AppleAudioAzalia.kext and edit kext values to [1] 0x293e8086, and [2]0x10EC0888, respectively. Please note that the characters "EC" on item two must be in Cap.

See http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=382774

SATA DVD Burner, SATA Compact Flash Adapter (Controller - Intel ICH9)

Please note that Abit IP35-E ICH9 only has IDE mode. Edit kext file to add values of [1]2921, and [2]2926 respetively.

See http://www.forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic....lit=device+root

USB (Controller - Intel ICH9)

Works even without the patch above.

SATA hard drive Boot (Controller - Silicon Image SIL3132)

I got a SATA hard drive to boot natively with a SIL3132 card, before I patched ICH9 SATA. I do not know if SATA hard drive will boot natively using onboard ICH9. But SIL3132 works flawlessly. I got the Rosewill card from Newegg, flashed to base bios using a CD, and installed the SIL3132 driver software.

The installer that comes from Silicon Image does not really work. Instead of using the installer to install the driver, open the archive, and there is a file named SiliconImage3132.kext which is to be copied to the extensions folder; and a folder, with two files inside, named SiCoreService which is to be copied to the StartUpItems Folder.

IDE (Controller - JMicron)

I will not be using IDE drives, so I did not spend any time trying to install driver. There is a JMicron driver that comes with the Kalyway ISO though.

Bios

The standard, optimized setting ( Bios Version 12)works well. I changed keyboard USB controller to bios control instead of OS control, in order to be able to hit the key F8 and type "-v" during installation. The motherboard has excellent overclocking capability; more testing is needed though.

See http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.as...MVIEWTMP=Linear

This motherboard allows you to select the boot order of hard drives, and can be used to boot multiple OS. I installed XP onto a 300x Lexar Compact Flash bootable via an Addonics CF adapter.

For motherboard related setup problems, see http://forum.abit-usa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Here is the xbench result with CPU running at 2.98 GHz (372MHz FSB x 8).

Results 114.23

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.4.10 (8R4031)

Physical RAM 2048 MB

Model ACPI

Drive Type SAMSUNG HM08HHI

CPU Test 151.67

GCD Loop 349.05 18.40 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 167.95 3.99 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 121.35 4.00 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 107.37 18.70 Mops/sec

Thread Test 291.65

Computation 266.86 5.41 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 321.51 13.83 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 184.87

System 170.15

Allocate 163.17 599.21 Kalloc/sec

Fill 198.69 9660.87 MB/sec

Copy 154.55 3192.12 MB/sec

Stream 202.37

Copy 191.53 3955.96 MB/sec

Scale 192.26 3972.11 MB/sec

Add 214.27 4564.50 MB/sec

Triad 213.85 4574.88 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 136.76

Line 141.77 9.44 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 179.11 53.47 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 159.83 13.03 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 158.95 4.01 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 87.90 5.50 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 180.65

Spinning Squares 180.65 229.17 frames/sec

User Interface Test 210.25

Elements 210.25 964.93 refresh/sec

Disk Test 35.40

Sequential 55.46

Uncached Write 54.13 33.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 61.71 34.91 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 43.50 12.73 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 69.17 34.76 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 26.00

Uncached Write 9.12 0.97 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 65.34 20.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 58.73 0.42 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 84.49 15.68 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Those who like silent computers will appreciate this post. The computer is virtually silent.

Case and Damping --

Lian Li PC-A05B

Lian Li DVD bezel

12 sq. feet Dynamat Xtreme

8 sq. feet Edead Teklite Acoustic Foam

cables/wires are routed inside latching cable raceways

CPU/Motherboard --

Intel E2160/Abit IP35-E (stable at 372FSB; OS failed to boot once in a while with 375FSB)

Ram --

Patriot Extreme 800mhz 2gb CL4-4-4-12 1T

Power Supply--

High Power 350W fanless PSU

CPU Heatsink--

Scythe Ninja Rev B (passive cooling), mounted with

Thermalright bolt-thru kit

Fan Controller --

Abit motherboard

Lian Li TR-03

Zalman Fanmate 2

Fan--

120mm Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 600rpm

120mm Enermax Marathon Enlobal 500rpm

120mm Lian Li BS-01 500rpm

Acousti Ultra Soft Fan Mounts

Sata DVD--

Samsung SH-S183L

Sata Hard Drive--

Samsung 2.5" HM08HHI 5400rpm drive (single platter), monted inside

Scythe Quiet Drive, suspended with

Stretch Magic 1.8mm

Sata Hard Drive Controller--

Rosewill Silicon Image SATA II PCI-e Adapter RC-211 (flashed with base bios available at the Silicon Image website)

Compact Flash--

Lexar 300X UDMA 4gb

Addonics Sata/CF Adapter

Graphic Card--

MSI 7300LE 256mb fanless

For a good thread about the Lian Li PC-A05B case,

See http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133290

For tricks used to silence this computer, go to

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/

Mumford -

I have to say, excellent posts - You've really done something right here by posting your build -

Thanks

No problem. Post on this thread if anyone needs help. Abit IP35-E is a great P35 board for only $70 with rebate at MWave. Add a SIL3132 card, and I doubt one will miss anything (as long as FireWire is not needed). Intel Penryn chips are coming and a P35 board will be ready for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Mumford, have you tried anything to make sleep work? I posted this in the ip35-pro thread as well, but some other p35 users reported wake from sleep working by adding the vendor's ich9r id to the AppleAHCIPort plist. Have you tried that?

Just did it. Sleep still does not work. But power management seems to run better and my idle power usage drops from 72w to 67w.

Thanks for the idea.

Well I am eying the abit ip35 which has firewire and has a $25 manufacturer rebate till the end of october and is only $124 at mwave. As someone who wants a low heat output on idle (can't stand the lack of cool&quiet on my amd system even if my box can handle it) do I need an hpet capable kernel or can the bios independently reduce power consumption? If I were to wait for a 10.4.11 compiled from source kernel it might be quite a while. Yet for a hackintosh running the very last update of tiger might be far more interesting than toying with the ups and downs of leopard.

Out of curiosity what pakages have you tried, have you run a 10.4.9 dvd? I've thought of running all the way down to 10.4.8 to possibly get a sleep and power saving system, but very hard to find that info when people change their signatures so often, so much knowledge lost when people don't post that sort of info in any sort of permanent fashion.

do I need an hpet capable kernel or can the bios independently reduce power consumption?

Not counting the DVD burner, my hackintosh runs from 72W(light usage) to 98W(full CPU load). So either the kernel or the bios or both are doing power management. I also think this power management thing is kinda {censored} shoot, as my idle power usage dropped initially after I patched the kext. But it does not appear to work anymore. Low usage wattage returns to the prior, pre-patched 72W.

Out of curiosity what pakages have you tried, have you run a 10.4.9 dvd?

Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3 works.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a minor update. As my hackintosh has been running for about one month with a total of zero crash, I changed the CPU multiplier to 8, and is now running stable at 372FSB x 8 = 2.97 GHz. Power consumption varies between 71W to 112W total.

im a hackintosh newbie. can you post step by step process on how to patch things that doesn't work out of the box? and where to get them? i want this board badly on my next upgrade. my second choice is ga-p35-ds3r since it is more popular than abit in osx86 scene. thanks in advance mumford!

thanks! i saw that thread before. i like abit ip35-e because its cheaper than ds3r and its a good p35 board. if im not considering installing osx i'll get it right away (IP35-E). i want a Quad-Hackintosh setup but the popular intel bad axe is not available in our country.

im a hackintosh newbie. can you post step by step process on how to patch things that doesn't work out of the box? and where to get them?

Installation requires VMWare install, so the first step is to have XP running on the PC, and then install OSX using VMWare. There are several tutorials in this forum to help us to do that. Once you get the basic OSX working, then you need to patch network and SATA. Please take a look at the links that I provided. Instructions are posted there. I rather not rewrite/borrow/steal the instructions posted already.

when you say VMware install required does it mean you can only run os x in window mode only?

No. I mean that if you try to install OSX using a DVD, you will get the error

/com.apple.boot.plist not found

For some reason, if you install using VMWare, it works. Do a search in this forum. There is a tutorial on how to install using VMWare.

OSX is running natively in the computer. It is not a virtualization.

I was wondering something : do you think it should work installing it through VMWare on the same HDD that Windows is running on ? (but not the same partition of course).

Because maybe Windows wouldn't like Disk Utility to access the same HDD, even though it's another partition ?

I was wondering something : do you think it should work installing it through VMWare on the same HDD that Windows is running on ? (but not the same partition of course).

Because maybe Windows wouldn't like Disk Utility to access the same HDD, even though it's another partition ?

It should work, as other have installed dual operating systems on the same hard drive using different partitions. I, however, think that it is easier to install and maintain the computer, by using two drives for the two operating systems. If something goes really wrong in one operating system, I can just clean install by zeroing a hard drive with no effect on the other operating system.

sir have you tried Jas 10.4.8 ppf1+ppf2 Installer? based on my readings and HCL. Jas Installer works for most boards.

Jas also has that boot volume not found error. In fact I am unable to install any version of OSX without going the VMWare route. From what I read, it has to do with the SATA DVD driver. The Darwin bootloader lacks the proper driver for SATA operation.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my IP 35 E to work. good guide.

My Sata HD would not boot the OS for many many times.

I finally had to put my sata drive into another osx86 computer and add the Sil3132 items onto that drive from the the second computer's OS. then it booted. its been up for like 15 minutes, knock wood.

• 2 weeks later...