• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

nato64

nato64

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:I'm Nate Orlofff, a child of the Seattle area, going to college in SoCal. I'm majoring i...
My Dashboard loads slightly faster in Leopard. But the real improvement is that I noticed as Dashboard is loading, it feels like nothing else is effected in my system. Before, Dashboard would bring everything to a grinding halt as it loaded.

vassillios

vassillios

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

What an idiot! You have to click on the text "Version 10.5" to switch at the string "build 9aXXX".

One simple word: IDIOT.

What a douche bag....i'm sure you've known everything since your conception....{censored} head

viniciusc

viniciusc

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

My Dashboard loads slightly faster in Leopard. But the real improvement is that I noticed as Dashboard is loading, it feels like nothing else is effected in my system. Before, Dashboard would bring everything to a grinding halt as it loaded.

I was just about to ask that, thanks :) :angel:

I totally agree, Dashboard on Tiger is so laggy and just sucks our ram, i'm sure there was spot for improvement.

NoSloppy

NoSloppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Has any one looked into the possibility that the Safari DL problem may be related only the version of 9A559 installed re-packed and seeded by Ayanami?
Is it possible to take a poll of those with / without the issue and which version they have; Ayanami's or an actual "legit" Apple seed?

Curious as the talk of the town is that this 9A559 is the GM...yet this problem exists for many people.

....and what IS the deal with 9A567? is that an unofficial, or internal to Apple number or what?

vassillios

vassillios

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
9a559 is not the GM. A couple of internal builds surfaced after 9a559 with the latest one being the GM.

ukp

ukp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Has any one looked into the possibility that the Safari DL problem may be related only the version of 9A559 installed re-packed and seeded by Ayanami?
Is it possible to take a poll of those with / without the issue and which version they have; Ayanami's or an actual "legit" Apple seed?

Curious as the talk of the town is that this 9A559 is the GM...yet this problem exists for many people.

....and what IS the deal with 9A567? is that an unofficial, or internal to Apple number or what?

The Safari download problem exists with the ADC downloaded build 9A559.

9A559 is not GM, 9A581 is. 9A567 was just another internal build that was never released externally.

Ital Congo

Ital Congo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was wondering why does everyone seem to hate the to-be-gone brushed metal interface?

lookmark

lookmark

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
It looks increasingly dated and the brushed texture is kinda cheesy.

Been waiting for it to go for years now. Hallelujah!

zeebe

zeebe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I just wish Apple would make it EASY for people to modify the look of their computer to their own styles. I understand the necessity for inexperienced users and Apple wanting a basic design, but why not make it available to others who want to change it.

Ital Congo

Ital Congo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yeah, customization of it couldn't be that difficult for them to include... Would be a nice thing in a Leo update at some point :D To be honest, brushed metal combined with the traffic light buttons is quite a UI prettiness... certainly one of the most standing-out things for a generic user, a potential switcher etc. I mean, it can't feel that old ;) I understand, though, that with frequent use it can get kind of 'heavy' or tiring, all those thick borders and whatnot.

applecollector

applecollector

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey everyone.
Does anyone have the 9a557 server serial? please !!!!
PM me or something! please!

dnm

dnm

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

I just wish Apple would make it EASY for people to modify the look of their computer to their own styles. I understand the necessity for inexperienced users and Apple wanting a basic design, but why not make it available to others who want to change it.

Because people don't know whats good for them, one of the worlds best UI teams working for months on end vs some home user picking colours and sizes arbitrarily. No contest

Also I think apple are from the "if you feel the need to include customisability then you didn't design it right" camp, same as me.

jebediah

jebediah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK, I finally registered here. There's some stuff that Apple hasn't shown in Leopard and I haven't seen anyone talk about, here is one of them.

If you open up the dock.app bundle and issue a "strings dock" command from the terminal on the actual executable (in the MacOS directory inside the bundle) you can see a list of the text strings in the application. This is one way that people find hidden preferences. In that list of strings you'd see that they assign each icon in the dock a different type, there are a bunch of different types, but the one I want to talk about is recents-tile which lets you add the equivalent of the apple menu recent items as stacks in your dock.

To do this the easiest way is to add a folder to the dock and it'll turn into a stack. Now open up the com.apple.dock.plist file from your ~/library/preferences/ folder in the plist editor (it uses the binary format so you'll need the editor from the developer tools or you'll need to convert it to text and back with plutil). The stack you created is in persistant-others, it should be easy enough to find. Change the tile-type tag to "recents-tile" and save. Open up a terminal window, and kill the dock process. It'll restart and you'll see that the stack icon has changed into a Recent Applications stack. If you right-click on it you can choose from a few different types.

Posted Image

Posted Image

vassillios

vassillios

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Because people don't know whats good for them, one of the worlds best UI teams working for months on end vs some home user picking colours and sizes arbitrarily. No contest
Also I think apple are from the "if you feel the need to include customisability then you didn't design it right" camp, same as me.

agreed 100% Customizing the UI just increases the possibility of f'ing up the OS

NoSloppy

NoSloppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

OK, I finally registered here. There's some stuff that Apple hasn't shown in Leopard and I haven't seen anyone talk about, here is one of them.

If you open up the dock.app bundle and issue a "strings dock" command from the terminal on the actual executable (in the MacOS directory inside the bundle) you can see a list of the text strings in the application. This is one way that people find hidden preferences. In that list of strings you'd see that they assign each icon in the dock a different type, there are a bunch of different types, but the one I want to talk about is recents-tile which lets you add the equivalent of the apple menu recent items as stacks in your dock.

To do this the easiest way is to add a folder to the dock and it'll turn into a stack. Now open up the com.apple.dock.plist file from your ~/library/preferences/ folder in the plist editor (it uses the binary format so you'll need the editor from the developer tools or you'll need to convert it to text and back with plutil). The stack you created is in persistant-others, it should be easy enough to find. Change the tile-type tag to "recents-tile" and save. Open up a terminal window, and kill the dock process. It'll restart and you'll see that the stack icon has changed into a Recent Applications stack. If you right-click on it you can choose from a few different types.

Great find - thanks!
P.S. What's with the Safari icon in your dock...with the gold?

webbdogg

webbdogg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The gold Safari icon is the Webkit safari browser. Can be found here: nightly.webkit.org/

Great find - thanks!
P.S. What's with the Safari icon in your dock...with the gold?

fryke

fryke

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
That's webkit. Apple put a gold frame on the nightly binaries of webkit so you'd know which one was active. EDIT: Ah, too late, I see now. :(

NoSloppy

NoSloppy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
....and It's up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2015 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy