a little birdie tweets - 9A559

ukp

1,058 posts in this topic

I just wish Apple would make it EASY for people to modify the look of their computer to their own styles. I understand the necessity for inexperienced users and Apple wanting a basic design, but why not make it available to others who want to change it.

Because people don't know whats good for them, one of the worlds best UI teams working for months on end vs some home user picking colours and sizes arbitrarily. No contest

Also I think apple are from the "if you feel the need to include customisability then you didn't design it right" camp, same as me.

OK, I finally registered here. There's some stuff that Apple hasn't shown in Leopard and I haven't seen anyone talk about, here is one of them.

If you open up the dock.app bundle and issue a "strings dock" command from the terminal on the actual executable (in the MacOS directory inside the bundle) you can see a list of the text strings in the application. This is one way that people find hidden preferences. In that list of strings you'd see that they assign each icon in the dock a different type, there are a bunch of different types, but the one I want to talk about is recents-tile which lets you add the equivalent of the apple menu recent items as stacks in your dock.

To do this the easiest way is to add a folder to the dock and it'll turn into a stack. Now open up the com.apple.dock.plist file from your ~/library/preferences/ folder in the plist editor (it uses the binary format so you'll need the editor from the developer tools or you'll need to convert it to text and back with plutil). The stack you created is in persistant-others, it should be easy enough to find. Change the tile-type tag to "recents-tile" and save. Open up a terminal window, and kill the dock process. It'll restart and you'll see that the stack icon has changed into a Recent Applications stack. If you right-click on it you can choose from a few different types.

11qqmms.jpg

20kx99j.jpg

Because people don't know whats good for them, one of the worlds best UI teams working for months on end vs some home user picking colours and sizes arbitrarily. No contest

Also I think apple are from the "if you feel the need to include customisability then you didn't design it right" camp, same as me.

agreed 100% Customizing the UI just increases the possibility of f'ing up the OS

OK, I finally registered here. There's some stuff that Apple hasn't shown in Leopard and I haven't seen anyone talk about, here is one of them.

If you open up the dock.app bundle and issue a "strings dock" command from the terminal on the actual executable (in the MacOS directory inside the bundle) you can see a list of the text strings in the application. This is one way that people find hidden preferences. In that list of strings you'd see that they assign each icon in the dock a different type, there are a bunch of different types, but the one I want to talk about is recents-tile which lets you add the equivalent of the apple menu recent items as stacks in your dock.

To do this the easiest way is to add a folder to the dock and it'll turn into a stack. Now open up the com.apple.dock.plist file from your ~/library/preferences/ folder in the plist editor (it uses the binary format so you'll need the editor from the developer tools or you'll need to convert it to text and back with plutil). The stack you created is in persistant-others, it should be easy enough to find. Change the tile-type tag to "recents-tile" and save. Open up a terminal window, and kill the dock process. It'll restart and you'll see that the stack icon has changed into a Recent Applications stack. If you right-click on it you can choose from a few different types.

Great find - thanks!

P.S. What's with the Safari icon in your dock...with the gold?