Logic Studio is working in my Hackintosh!

pakaya

74 posts in this topic

I run Logic 9 on an old Asus P4 P800 se mobo with a P4 3 ghz cpu on Leo 10.5.1, works as good you can expect on an old comp like that but it works. I had an old Emagic Audio 5 Big Box sitting on the shelf that I upgraded so I´m testrunning it on this old guy first. On my main comp GA EP45 -DS3 Q6600 I still run Logic Pro 8 on SL 101.6.2 32 bit cause there are no 64 bit drivers for my Saffire Pro 10 i/o yet.

Both my Delta 1010 and my Delta 44 works like they should with the Envy24 driver no noises here at all. I can even use both the Saffire Pro and the Delta in the same comp at the same time. When I broadcast I use the Delta to take the sound in to the stream and the Saffire to listen.

Personally, i wouldn't even think about installing logic before sorting out graphics card issues and other necessary fixes, just as i wouldn't think about installing SL before checking hardware compatibility.

Sometimes you don't know how stable something is going to be until you run it.

All I knew was that Logic was not seeing my GPU but there may have been other problems so installing was one way to find out.

Turns out there wasn't any other problems (so far, fingers crossed) and I can get on with making music rather than faffing around with kexts.

This is not my first osx86 install (done about a dozen trying to get my GPU recognised to no avail) but also I am no expert. I simply wanted a running system that works with what I have and it does that so I'm happy even without QI/CE. I don't intend on playing chess anyway. This is just a DAW for me, nothing else (I have win7 64bit for everything else).

Back to the Logic, today I finally had some time to setup a couple of mics and was planning on doing some recording in both windows and Logic to try and work out what my 'fuzz' problem is. Well it turned out to be a dodgy preamp on my desk, nothing to do with Logic, Envy24 or osx86 at all.

So everything is working fine now.

The delta 1010 is still missing its visual mixer (just shows input levels etc) but I'm not that bothered about that.

new here.

im planning to buy mac and logic maybe its good idea to give it a try on a hackintosh first. id like to try logic 9.1.1 in 64 bit mode so i need 10.6.2, right?

i went through most of the install guides etc but my case is a bit specific.

i want 2 partitions on my hdd: one with windows xp sp3, the other osx 10.6.2.

some tutorials stated that not worth messing with complete distribs. instead do it with the original 10.6 dvd then update with apple update to 10.6.2

some are stating that a "real" mac is needed but some states those are not required. this already confuses me.

i dont want to go the mac way, i'd like to do it all on this machine.

its an

asus p5gc-mx1333

2g ram

intel 945GC(A2)/ICH7 integrated video

novation nio usb soundcard

sata hdd

tplink pci wlan

8gb pendrive

can i dual boot? what loader is the best for that? chameleon rc4 maybe?

will it work out of the box? i doubt it..

i suspect i'd need 64bit kexts for the intel vga and he tplink wlan card since i have to do the update via internet.

this is where i am at. please someone correct me if i am wrong and of course any further advice much appreciated!

thanks

To make it easier just use two harddrives instead, one for each os. Saves you a whole lot of troubles. Check out your hard ware works ok with osx first and then pick the tutorial that´s closest to the gear you have.

i see.

could you explain in short what is the trouble with one hdd with 2 partitions?

didn't know it was that hard to get it running. Had Logic 9 running on my current hackintosh under 10.5.6 since it came out.

Maybe I will stumble into problems (although hopefully not!) when I do it on my new lappy next week running 10.6.2 (or .3 if its out by then). fingers crossed!

i see.

could you explain in short what is the trouble with one hdd with 2 partitions?

It´s not always easy to make it happen only installing osx so what I mean is start with that and then if you find it necessary check out dualboot. It´s no harder than press F8 or what´s the command for your mobo if want to switch between harddrives during bootup.

Another thing is you have to read up on having two different filesystems on the same harddrive. It can be done for sure no question about that but me personally I can´t see no big use for it. Just think about safety issues, if you get virus on your win partition you might end up having to reformat the whole drive.

About 64 bit drivers for SL make sure they have them already for your soundcard. I have the Saffire Pro 10 i/o and Focusrite seems to be a bit slow in that matter so still no 64 bit drivers for mac anyway.

They refer to big companys like Apple (probably microsoft too) as third party software makers I mean just makes me laugh do they really expect apple to adapt to them hehe.

I installed SL using one of these boot 132 discs for SL that came out here pretty early after SL was released. Took a while to figure out how to do it though but in the end it showed to be the easiest way, to me anyway.

It´s a while now since I did it but I can try to refigure how I did it and what kext and stuff I use. No need for that usb stick, you just do a basic install and reboot with the dvd, fix your kexts, add the dsdt.aml (just run fassls program and you´re done, really easy) and chameleon if you want it/need it. Reboot again and your done. Make sure you have your 64 bit kexts for all you need them for if your going for SL 64 bit.

One thing I remember specific is leave the printers out when you install or else it would probably panic, it did for me and lots of others. If you need them you can install them later.

Good luck

Another thing is you have to read up on having two different filesystems on the same harddrive. It can be done for sure no question about that but me personally I can´t see no big use for it. Just think about safety issues, if you get virus on your win partition you might end up having to reformat the whole drive.

You don't have to reformat the whole drive even if you have the most hardcore rootkit virus on your windows partition.

And what's the problem with having different filesystems on same physical hard drive, like bootcamp?

It´s not always easy to make it happen only installing osx so what I mean is start with that and then if you find it necessary check out dualboot. It´s no harder than press F8 or what´s the command for your mobo if want to switch between harddrives during bootup.

About 64 bit drivers for SL make sure they have them already for your soundcard. I have the Saffire Pro 10 i/o and Focusrite seems to be a bit slow in that matter so still no 64 bit drivers for mac anyway.

They refer to big companys like Apple (probably microsoft too) as third party software makers I mean just makes me laugh do they really expect apple to adapt to them hehe.

I installed SL using one of these boot 132 discs for SL that came out here pretty early after SL was released. Took a while to figure out how to do it though but in the end it showed to be the easiest way, to me anyway.

It´s a while now since I did it but I can try to refigure how I did it and what kext and stuff I use. No need for that usb stick, you just do a basic install and reboot with the dvd, fix your kexts, add the dsdt.aml (just run fassls program and you´re done, really easy) and chameleon if you want it/need it. Reboot again and your done. Make sure you have your 64 bit kexts for all you need them for if your going for SL 64 bit.

One thing I remember specific is leave the printers out when you install or else it would probably panic, it did for me and lots of others. If you need them you can install them later.

Good luck

thanks much! this is the most useul info on forums so far. looks like better to stuck on 32 bit and i had no virus in the last 10 years so... go with DB.

decided to go this route:

vanilla 10.6 dvd

+

http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/ho...es-motherboard/

+

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Simple_Dual_Boot

pretty easy and then i will hunt down additional kexts if needed.

im not sure about the last step (dual boot) it states simple method but i doubt its the simplest.. not written for th snow leo but i hope it will work.

if the above is correct then one last question:why should i have chameleon installed after that? what are the advantages of it in my case?

UPDATE: I have Logic Studio (Logic 9) running on my hack on Snow Leopard 6.2 finally.

I had to bypass the requirements checker to get it to install as my graphics card (ATI 4850) doesn't have QI/CE working yet and so it was not recognised (I was getting the 0 vram error).

If you have this problem basically unzip the setup file to your desktop and then open it and delete the requirement checking app.

Then you should be able to install no problem.

I should add that my M-Audio Delta1010 does work (Envy24), I can get sound in and out of it but I can hear some noise when I record through it. Its not a clean recording which is not good.

I think this is due to hacked drivers and not official ones as I'm using the Envy drivers.

I do not get this 'noise' when recording in windows so its not due to dust.

I also read that support for Delta series was dropped by M-Audio for OSX 6.2:

Link: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010.html

Official M-Audio statement: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=suppor...a5d5f4ef3da6903

I am in the process of researching a more updated and SL6.2 compatible audio interface.

Can I ask what drivers you are using to get your Delta1010 to run properly and have you recently done any recording throught it. Was there any signal or static noise?

what? i use radeon 4850 since osx 10.5.6 (im corrently in 10.6.2) and i never have problems... just edit the the right kext and you have her full activated

in pc of my sign i have logic 9.1.1 + reaktor 5 + reason 4 + ableton suite 8.1.1 and almoust all vst and vsti existent for osx (160GB)

i dont have a single problem :D

PS: i have almost all audio appz for osx instaled (last versions) like traktor pro dj etc and 0 problems all my pc acts like a real mac , all parts 100% activated

Mine too even have two 7300 gs 512 mb pcie videocards, a Black Magic Intensity Pro videocapture card, the Saffire Pro 10 i/o FW soundcard, the Delta 44 soundcard (Two soundcards for best sound since I´m broadcasting web tv) , Logic, Reason, Harrison Mixbus, Parrallels for Win xp. I can even record live online to my web tv channel from Logic all plugins running like Adictive drums git plugins etc etc. So Hackmacs can do it for sure.

what? i use radeon 4850 since osx 10.5.6 (im corrently in 10.6.2) and i never have problems... just edit the the right kext and you have her full activated

WHat is the right kext?

Everyone is so keen to state what they have working and very little explanation about how.

Its easy to say 'yep everything working fine here', why haven;t you written a guide for 4850 users if its so easy as I have read and followed all the 4850 related posts and there isn't a decent guide.

So thanks for the advice but are you just boasting or do you actually want to help? :)

I did what I had to do to get Logic 9 running and it works fine just no QI/CE on my 4850 but running at 1280x1024 resolution and no graphics problems. SOmetimes the monitor will goto sleep but I think thats a different problem as I get this on my Windows boot too (overheating unless I turn my cooling fans up - I keep them low because I like quiet when making music).

Thanks I think I already tried that legacyATI controller but I will give it another go.

I appreciate any tips, but people just saying it works for me and no help gets annoying after a while.

Scroll down this page says something about kext for your video card http://netkas.org/

Im using :

*latest PC EFI 10.6

*LegacyATIcontroller.kext in Extra/Extensions

*ATI4800controller.kext in Extra/Extensions

Still no QI/CE

I hear you think the same. Sorry I can´t help with this I have 7300 gs cards think I never tried ati cards.

I had to edit the plist to change the configuration of type of ports in the NVinjekct.kext I use to get my 7300 cards working with QE. Rigthtklick on it show package content open Contents then open the plist with a texteditor. I did this by changing the NVCAP to match the ports on my cards (VGA + DVI). I mean maby there are lots of different combinations/configs port types also for the ATI 4850. If you think this could be the case for you too let me know and I´ll try to find that site again where found that info.

Here´s my thread how I did it

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...2727&hl=two

so far:

used this method:

http://osx86sv.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/ho...es-motherboard/

everything went well

i did everyhing as described except the kexts. i thought i will do it myself later.

i can boot from cd then had some issues with display. it runs only in 1024x768

the wifi worked but its strange. it recognizes my tp.link pci card as airport but only enables in every second and third boot. sometimes more often. seems a bit random.

installed chameleon 2.0 rc4

then i could boot without the cd but the boot stopped at the apple image and the stick keeps rollin as a progress bar but nothing happens.

the i booted again from cd and check for apple software update.

updated some of the components az well as from 10.6.0 to 10.6.3 (out today i think)

reboot. nothing!

it can still boot from cd

so i used the kext helper and added all of the extensions in the .zip package.

now i cant boot from cd, not hdd.

stops at the apple image.

can anyone help?

i have tired sudo nvram boot-args="-v" to see what happens at startup but it gives still only the apple image.

seems like i am a bit far from running logic:S

You need to give us more info about your hardware.

One thing I can say now though is you should stay away from installing the printers that will probably give you a KP. Leave them, if you want them just install them later.

Check out this thread this is what I used in combination with fasls dstd pathcer and drhurts chameleon package, took a while to figure it out. Look for my posts it´s actually really easy when you get the hang of it.

For your videocards to run full resolution you might need a specific kext.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83406&st=40

Ok you´re welcome hmm strange people think they can ask for help not even doing their own bit nor say thanks.

You need to give us more info about your hardware.

One thing I can say now though is you should stay away from installing the printers that will probably give you a KP. Leave them, if you want them just install them later.

Check out this thread this is what I used in combination with fasls dstd pathcer and drhurts chameleon package, took a while to figure it out. Look for my posts it´s actually really easy when you get the hang of it.

For your videocards to run full resolution you might need a specific kext.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...83406&st=40

Ok you´re welcome hmm strange people think they can ask for help not even doing their own bit nor say thanks.

thanks starobrno1:)

i try to give you every info i know:

first my system:

asus p5gc-xm1333 motherboard

c2d 2.66 cpu

2g ddr2 ram

gma950 vga (i used one kext from kexts.com but no luck)

usb microsoft keyboard and mouse

novation nio usb soundcard

pci tplink wifi card

sata 250gb hdd and sata dvd drive

what i did:

made two guid partitions named OSX1 and OSX2

installed retail dvd 10.6.0 onto OSX1

now i reinstalled the dvd using that boot cd i mentioned.

its a boot132 darwin made by psystar

no sound out of the nio soundcard

1024x768 resolution

wifi sometimes work sometims not. if not, then i cant turn on airport, i need to reboot

installed chameleon with sucess, it can boot from hdd but at the apple image it stops booting onto the user interface. i think its not the bootloaders fault but im missing something

i dont really care about sleep function and stuff, i always disable these even in windows

i just would like to hear sound out of nio, 1280x1024 resolution and install logic 9.

with the vanilla thingy as less additional kext as possible

what additional infos could i deliver?

should i post this into the vanilla snow topic instead?

if i choose verbose boot in chameleon 2.0 rc4 i get this error message at the end.

boot.jpg

then i used dsdt patcher gui

some tutorials say that i should place the generated .aml in the root or the extra

i had no /extra (yes i enabled hidden fiiles but still no) so i created one and placed there too

no changes

update:

finally got it to work

chameleon can boot from hdd when i install some kexts from extensions.zip but not all

these:

fakesmc.kext

legacyappleahciport.kext

but the poblem is

no wifi under 64 bit (this is default by chameleon)

and i cannot use GMA kexts because it runs only in 32 bit kernel mode

if i force to boot in 32 bit then cant boot

if there is a way i could boot in 32 bit then i'll be fine and would share a mini guide

i'm so close!:D

It took me about a week solid of researching and reinstalling till I got mine to work as I was also new to osx86 stuff.

I can't really give you a solution as I'm no pro at this either but just keep at it, you will get there eventually as long as your hardware allows which it seems it does.

For sound take a look at the envy24 stuff (link in my sig), it may or may not help (helped with my maudio soundcard).

Also there may be a boot command to startup in 32bit mode if thats going to help.

Good luck with that and keep at it.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, i wouldn't even think about installing logic before sorting out graphics card issues and other necessary fixes, just as i wouldn't think about installing SL before checking hardware compatibility.

If one can afford the luxury of sorting out graphics issues beforehand then yes, fine.

However, when you have a laptop where no QE solution exists, then the workaround methods are the only ones which matter.

Thanks to the guys who posted solutions for Logic install for non QE cards! (Pacifist install method and some others).