What's after X?

csturner

36 posts in this topic

My personal belief is they'll hold on to the Mac OS X name for quite some time to come, just continue to evolve the product. Although maybe XI could be pronounced like "Zye", that might be cool.

Apple and Microsoft have evolved the OS to the point where they're just polishing it and putting gimmicky features in. Leopard's Time Machine could be very cool if it's as good as they say, though.

But, I don't think there'll be any more major changes to OS design until there's Artificial Intelligence. Imagine having even a rudimentary AI on your system that could automatically get all your web surfing collated for you based on your habits, discover new stuff for you, automatically maintain the system, remind you to get up and exercise and meet people, and god damn it, I want a computer I can talk to, like in Sci-Fi.

OSX is gonna last till 2025. By then hopefully, Windows would have died off, so we would only have Linux and Mac. So then it will be called The OS

• 2 weeks later...

i dont want any1 to get me wrong...as in i definitly love the mac os x....did not try the leopard yet...but im in love with it just from the adds and like this...and i have always been ANTI-microsoft person and ANTI- Windows specially....used linux, lindware....some other stuff...till i am using mac os x now....however, just get a look @ microsoft new technology called SURFACE.... im not say its good or anything .... and not comparing it,...but lets say its IMPRESSEVE.... and they did some work...though it is totally stolen from the iPhone technology....but ...just give it a look...and watch the videos:)

Well... If you look at how they treated OS 7, 8 and 9 I'd say it's pretty clear that OS X has been treated _quite_ differently. It won't just be Mac OS 11, quite probably. Besides: Who says they won't make Mac OS X 10.10 and 10.11 after 10.9. I say they'll move to 11 (or rather away from OS X) when they really have a new _base_ for the operating system. And I don't see UN*X leaving just yet.

^

correct! And 9.2.2 ended there because Apple badly needed a new OS, and so X was born.

But at the moment, and for the next [many] years, I think OS X will be simply the name of Apple's OS. Like 'Windows' is for Microsoft. Apple has their computers runnin 'Mac' OS X, and their iPhone/iPod touch/future mobile devices running OS X.

So OS X is their OS name... at least for the forseeable future, until the next HUGE thing.

Actually OS 9.2 and 9.2.2 came out after the release of OS X.0 (it was a release solely done for Classic compatibility).

Also, you're wrong on Apple badly needing a new OS. It wasn't as much that as Apple feeling they couldn't do anything else with the Classic OS. Also, they bought NeXt (pardon if I didn't get the lettering right) and you normally don't buy something like that just to sit on it.