Kalyway Leopard Installer

onizuka

66 posts in this topic

Hi people

I was searching arround for a cool image to get on a website with a brown boat, and I found that Kalyway 10.5 9a527 iso image.

It's the first patched Leopard image i've ever seen, all others require following a patching tutorial which is not straightforward...

Finally Leopard for the rest of us! :censored2:

Here are the problems I encountered :

- I can't install the audio patch for my alc889, because the terminal won't accept my sudos for some bloody reason <= FIXED apparently, we can't sudo if no password is set for the admin user, so I set a password in 'Accounts' and now it's fine

- I couldn't make any drag&drops in the finder, until I booted in single user mode and repaired the file system, which was damaged... for some reason. This is fixed, see below.

- The installer won't recognize my SATA drives, I guess it's due to my hardware, but Jas 10.4.8 found them on the first shot. I eventually set my SATA controller to Legacy IDE mode, and Leopard found a 128Gb hard disk (it's actually a 500gb disk, but i guess legacy means no big size...). My other drive is also seen as 128Gb drive, so the data on the rest of the disk is not readable (some random folders show a NO ACCESS flag)

- The system seems to be pretty fast, like Tiger, with all effects running smoothly, however some glitches happen, during which the system is sort of locked up for two seconds... reminds me of windows 98 on my athlon t-bird <= I think it comes from the Legacy IDE mode

However, some good points :

- My onboard lan worked out of the box, it didn't on Jas Tiger DVD.

- Video worked great without any patching, my 7900GS supporting QE/CI and both monitors working in 1680x1050

- Boot time reduced compared to Tiger. (I think)

So if you want to give Leopard a try, this image seems to be a good starting point!

EDIT : Looks like many people are having the drag&drop problem, here is the solution :

1) Boot in single user mode

1.1) Press F8 before grey screen with Apple and spinner

1.2) Use startup options –v –f –s –x

2) There should be some sort of command prompt, type "fsck -fy" (without quotes) => the disk repairs

3) Type "diskutil repairpermissions /" => permissions repair

4) reboot

Do a repair permissions, should fix some of your issues.

yeah I tried that, it fixed some stuff, but still my sudo doesn't work!! I haven't set any password so it should authenticate when i press enter, just like in Tiger...

installation took forever, but runs fine now

with msi 975 mobo and ati 1600

seems a bit less snappy than tiger

also geekbench results a littebit less

well, compared to tiger.. no big upgrade...

new dock looks fine , with 3d loook

but new map icons.. are so linux like... ugly

and that space wallpaper... not so nice

No offence meant but, all what this relases do is to show Apple crew where they have to put security locks in the final relase.

At this point stopping it is pretty much impossible. There is only a few things Apple can do to stop people from hacking it without crippling it for actual Mac users. Any checks can be written around, which actually can speed up the system.

Even if they went back to a proprietary processor, Pandora's Box has been opened and it cannot be closed anytime soon, if ever.

If you have problems after install, try to set sharing and permissions of users folder to read and write to your account, and then fix permissions using Disk utility.

how much chance of success do i have installing this build in my machine if i am already running a hackintosh tiger???

how much chance of success do i have installing this build in my machine if i am already running a hackintosh tiger???

The disclaimer of the image says it contains the same drivers as uphuck r3, so if that one works for you it should be okay I guess... Try it on a spare hard drive though, you don't want to screw up your stable system...

johan : did you use the same dvd as me? did it support your sata drive/sata DVD? can you sudo? cheers

Yes, sata works

i did installation on a intel 945 chipset and then put harddsik in my intel 975 system

then sata works 100 %

i used same dvd , there is only one dvd

I'm having no luck with this, after install it hangs at the grey apple screen, a verbose boot shows the last line being "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode: defaulting to full-secure"

That happened here too, and was followed by 'Still waiting for root device', which is bad...

Try inactivating firewire is the bios

I'm having no luck with this, after install it hangs at the grey apple screen, a verbose boot shows the last line being "ERROR: Firewire unable to determine security-mode: defaulting to full-secure"

i also get that message about firewire, but that doesn't stop succesfull booting

so firewire isn't the problem

I didn't think it was. I'm running 10.4.10 just fine, Asus P5L-VM1394 motherboard. I just did a another clean install (good thing they are quick) without selecting any drivers and the now last lines in verbose are "Jettisoning kernel linker" and "Resetting IOCatalogue, then a non blinking cursor. Don't see any kernel panics or anything else that jumps out at me as a problem.

Tried to repair permissions after booting off the DVD and getting "error: no valid packages"

The fix from 10.4 doesn't seem to apply.

Attention: This DVD is designed for Intel architectures SSE3 HPET Only !!! IT IS BETA!!!!

This is from the DVD's disclaimer, are you sure your Pentium 4 supports SSE3? Mine does not...

Attention: This DVD is designed for Intel architectures SSE3 HPET Only !!! IT IS BETA!!!!

This is from the DVD's disclaimer, are you sure your Pentium 4 supports SSE3? Mine does not...

Yes it does, It's a 775 P4 Hyperthread 3.0, I verified SSE3 before I installed JAS 10.4.8