OK -Fresh new speculation

9 posts in this topic

Ok before I start just to let you know I got to thinking in a really bent form and thought of something rather out there.

Most of the things that people claim with Apple is the hardware and how they want total control over their hardware and they sell a OS to go with their hardware. Well I got to thinking about Solaris and such.

Well a way to release Apple from accountablity of osx86 going into the wild and having to support all this hardware. Linux already has support for a giant chunk of it. Somebody mentioned its possible for apple to go linux kernel but this requires Apple to embrace the GPL I dont think this is going to happen but lets add another twist to it. Apple releases the ablility to run OSX86 apps for linux and allows for quartz extreme to run in linux. Now the reason why they could do this is it would allow for massive development of things that would run on OSX natively but as well they would run in quartz extreme. It would give the open people who want to use OSX apps the ability too do it.

This would make both sides work in unison to some extent Darwin is already open source so I say why not? It would make iTunes and Quicktime and all the other cool apps that linux users have been begging for work. It would allow for many things I do not think this would kill apple it would only make them stronger.

Sorry for poor grammar but I was thinking really strangely and I thought it would be very interesting perspective. I havent seen anybody say it so AFAIK its a first :)

:poster_oops: had to blow my horn. :laser:

coming up with that title proves you aren't full of stupid. i love that title! :)

and besides, nobody is given kudos for predicting the sun will rise in the east tomorrow. if someday your wacky speculations end up happening, everyone will be forced to recognize your genius!

Edited by quixos

OSX86 doesn't need a new kernel, it just needs chipset drivers. The operating system itself is able to recogize all sorts of x86 processors just fine.

errm did you miss what I was saying? I was saying that what if apple opens up the source for usability of running OSX apps in linux. along with quartz extreme.

OSX stays the same but now not only OSX can run the apps but linux can run the OSX apps too.

but where does apple benefit?

yes apple could use more hardware support, but you didn't mention them liscensing their OS...

i dont get it.

even if the would license it, they could easily recompile and edit the existing linux drivers without touching the kernel at all...

Please explain what licencing it would have to do with anything? Apple would get plenty back they would get tons of Open Source Apps back... They would get the Open Source Community's support and thats alot of support..

Keep in mind you can use darwin without licence. I am saying FREE as in open free without licence free "GPL whatever" to update fix and tweek. I think it could be a very good thing.

I was saying apple gives the source to be able to run any OSX APP in Linux... not the other way around nor OSX being able to be run on any hardware.

I guess I did not put it forth right... maybe I can try later nobody seems to get what I am saying :/

Ok here is the deal.

OSX has Quartz Extreme GFX rendering that handles running OGL apps IIRC.

OSX has their special app code that allows for OSX apps to be run in OSX

Many parts of OSX that allow the apps/games to run.

Ok now Take those Relevent parts and open source the code same as darwin. Aqua Interface does not need to be there. Just the ability to run apps. Take that and make it to where it can run OSX Apps in Linux & OSX both will run it if you wish to add this support similar to BSD support for running linux apps in BSD etc.

Ok now apple opens this up to where OSX can stay on the special hardware and the people who want to run OSX apps and things like that can run them on Linux this allows the people who want to run OSX apps run it on linux without having to break open OSX.

Ok now that you can run these apps on linux now apps would get backported to be able to be run in OSX I can pretty much bet it would become quite popular to port these things given how much apple would be supporting linux.

This would give them no accountablity for having it on non-apple hardware no support granted and good luck. Just as linux is no support guarenteed just "have fun" now if this is done apple can make it work on any hardware without any fear of being slandered by somebody saying well it dont work on X hardware or OSX killed X hardware blah blah.

It would work verywell this follows the lines that Apple is truly a hardware company not a software company. Many places have opened the code such as Solaris is a prime example.