startup disk - problem

jh@4m

18 posts in this topic

after instalation all works just great - the only problem is that if I take the instalation dvd out it would not find system..

when I try to set the system drive as startup disk I would not see it in system preferences/startup disk

please help

thank you

XxX_OS_x86_10.4.10 - install

P4 prescot HT, Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU

HDD :HDS722525VLAT80: Capacity: 232.89 GB Model: HDS722525VLAT80 Revision: V36OA6MA Serial Number: VN69HMCFF9UZ4D Removable Media: No Detachable Drive: No BSD Name: disk0 Protocol: ATA Unit Number: 1 Socket Type: Internal OS9 Drivers: Yes S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified Volumes:new EX: Capacity: 232.76 GB Available: 8.03 GB Writable: Yes File System: Journaled HFS+ BSD Name: disk0s10 Mount Point: /

MB - MSI - i915

I have only one hard disk with OSX installed as first boot device...

For the drive to be bootable standalone, when you are partitioning your drive using Disk Utility, you have to click the Options button and choose the Master Boot Record option :)

Note: Only do the above procedure if OS X is the only operating system on your computer. If you are dual-booting, then you have to configure your boot loader to be able to load OS X.

EDIT: One more thing you could try. Start OS X, go into System Preferences >> Startup Disk and choose your OS X drive as the startup device.

Post back if you have any questions.

pcwiz

unfortunately you got it ..

I have not partitioned the drive with booth system partion sinc it contained MAC data..

but the edit option :EDIT: One more thing you could try. Start OS X, go into System Preferences >> Startup Disk and choose your OS X drive as the startup device...

is not possible since I can't see the drive there..so shoul I start from 0 ?

have not happened to me before..

HDD info : Disk Description : HDS722525VLAT80 Total Capacity : 232.9 GB (250,059,350,016 Bytes) Connection Bus : ATA Write Status : Read/Write Connection Type : Internal S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified Connection ID : Device 1 Partition Scheme : Apple Partition Map

If you re-partition the disk you will loose all data. You should erase your old OSX install partition with "erase" option within diskutility....

The problem is that the bootloader isnt there.

I've tryed that DVD youre using today and it worked here.

There is a way to restore the bootloader without wipeing out all your data if you want to try.

You need

-little bit of skills.

-a second installation of OSX that you can boot to (using the DVD)

-this files in /usr/standalone/i386: boot boot0 boot1h

They must be there in your disk, if not you could get them from any JaS' DVD-

-startupfiletool (download it at the end of this posting)

The following example asumes you want to make disk0s1 bootable

('1' means first partition. Change the '1' if your install partition is a different one).

Boot to your second OSX installation (using the DVD bootloader).

From within the terminal do:

1) Update MBR bootloader and flag partition 1 as bootable:

sudo fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
fdisk: 1> update
Machine code updated.
fdisk:*1> f 1
Partition 1 marked active.
fdisk:*1> w
Device could not be accessed exclusively.
A reboot will be needed for changes to take effect. OK? [n] y
Writing MBR at offset 0.
fdisk: 1> q

2) put boot1h at the beginning of the partition:

sudo dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s1 bs=512 count=1

3)

copy the startupfiletool to /usr/sbin first,

unmount the target partition, and then you execute the command.

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

4) bless the partition:

Mount the partition again and execute the command

sudo bless -device /dev/disk0s1 -setBoot -verbose

That would do. Reboot without the DVD to try it out

METHOD POSTED ORIGINALY BY CRAZOR.

startupfiletool.zip

• 1 month later...

I'm actually having issue installing the brazilmac copy of leopard. Installation goes fine (screwed the partition the first time and didn't check MBR) but now after applying the 9a581PostPatch.sh I get no boot at all?!? it doesn't even give me the option to enter verbose mode so the problem is somewhere in the boot record...suggestions?

I also cannot get the brazilmac leopard to work because of wild booting issues. I have been installing hackintosh versions for years now. I have freaking pearpc images laying around!

But I'll be damned if I can get this to work.

Ordinarily I simply use grub to chainload the first sector of the partition. It appears that this installer isn't writing that for one reason or another.

I am using a dell d620 with extremely basic hardware. SATA hd. Intel GMA950. Very ordinary. Worked great with 10.4.8.

If anyone has had a similar inability to boot it would be great to collaborate.

Thanks,

Toastbreak

@Toastbreak

If you have another partition or drive with a working install of Tiger, just follow the procedure outlined in post #10 of this thread.

First install Leopard following Brazilmac's method. After Leopard installer reboots, boot into Tiger. Open Brazilmac's patch package and copy all the files from file/i386 to your Tiger drive's /usr/standalone/i386. Download the startupfiletool from the link in post #10. Extract startupfiletool and copy it to tiger's /usr/sbin. Then follow the procedure outlined by macGarcha in post #10 to make your Leopard partition bootable.

• 2 months later...

Traveled the forums from here to this post.

My problem: How to you copy the startupfile within the DVD install program using Terminal?

3)

copy the startupfiletool to /usr/sbin first,

unmount the target partition, and then you execute the command.

sudo startupfiletool -v /dev/rdisk0s1 /usr/standalone/i386/boot

I can't get my USB drive to be identified by any of the programs on that install DVD.

I cannot boot after the install of uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.4i_r2.iso.

I am not an Mac user (but would like to, hence the installation of tiger), but "copying" the file has been very difficult for me to understand. I haven't found any answers r/t "coping" the startupfile to /usr/sbin.

Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a similar problem to. I successfully installed Tiger from a Kalyway 10.4.10 install dvd and the installation worked fine, but when I boot the HD then all the problems occur. When I boot the HD with Tiger on it (its on a seperate HD, not partitioned) Darwin comes up and says press any key to boot. Then when I press a key it starts to boot with commands like "Loading H** from /System/Extensions"(i dont know what it says exactly) really quickly that I cant really read any of it. Then, while I see it loading, my screen suddenly turns black and my computer reboots, so can someone please tell me how to fix this?

MB- eVGA 680i

HDs- Windows- WD 160GB RaptorX 10k SATA

OS X 10.4.10- Seagate 80GB IDE (took out of a DELL comp)

Graphics Card- 8800 GTX

DVD- Samsung Writemaster SATA

P.S. I'm new to Mac's. This is my first experience with them and I wanted to see how they are before I think about buying that MacBook Pro I wanted! :blink:

So I'm not well known with all the commands, but if explained to me I'll the hang of it! :wacko:

Hi, I have a similar problem to. I successfully installed Tiger from a Kalyway 10.4.10 install dvd and the installation worked fine, but when I boot the HD then all the problems occur. When I boot the HD with Tiger on it (its on a seperate HD, not partitioned) Darwin comes up and says press any key to boot. Then when I press a key it starts to boot with commands like "Loading H** from /System/Extensions"(i dont know what it says exactly) really quickly that I cant really read any of it. Then, while I see it loading, my screen suddenly turns black and my computer reboots, so can someone please tell me how to fix this?

MB- eVGA 680i

HDs- Windows- WD 160GB RaptorX 10k SATA

OS X 10.4.10- Seagate 80GB IDE (took out of a DELL comp)

Graphics Card- 8800 GTX

DVD- Samsung Writemaster SATA

P.S. I'm new to Mac's. This is my first experience with them and I wanted to see how they are before I think about buying that MacBook Pro I wanted! :(

So I'm not well known with all the commands, but if explained to me I'll the hang of it! :D

can anyone help?!?!?!